It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 8:05 am

How do you find working from home?

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

How do you find working from home?

Postby PorkChop » Mar 25, '20, 4:07 pm

Due to coronavirus fears my employer has sent everyone to work from home.

It's nice not having to commute and therefore have a bit of extra time in bed, but I'm finding it quite difficult to remain productive. I've realised I benefit from the discipline of having a routine and actually being in the office, as draining as it can be sometimes.

Of course, I'd never tell my boss that.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: How do you find working from home?

Postby Everlong » Mar 27, '20, 4:08 pm

I've been working from home for 10 years so nothing really changes for me :lol

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 31, '20, 2:26 am

I've been the some days working from home anyway due to other commitments but to do so, full time is a challenge. Especially with twin children but I've found when they are asleep, or occupied is the time to be productive and other tasks you can carry on doing whilst breaking away to prevent them from going upstairs for the 100th time.

But it's much better from a psychological point of view from being at home with my family, at a time like this when there are things to do additionally (shopping, making sure parents are well) but I don't enjoy the bantz in the office feeling quite isolated at times so it's nice to be able to be around comforting faces.

I'm going to try and incorporate a morning walk to my days, to steer away the tiredness that creeps in which is inevitable due to sitting on a sofa most of the day, and being more active to freshen up.

Does anyone else find even if they have music/tv on in the background, that they barely pay attention to it whilst they are working?

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby ShaneOfan » Apr 01, '20, 6:21 pm

I work in a food distribution warehouse. I'm going to work until this is over or I keel over. People got to eat. I'll do what I can to feed them. On top of that my job is Sanitation Lead we sterilize everything. All the time. Non stop. And we have for a while now. Pre-Covid we did it. Did I get busier? Sure. But it's basically been another day at work for me.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 03, '20, 5:48 am

ShaneOfan wrote:I work in a food distribution warehouse. I'm going to work until this is over or I keel over. People got to eat. I'll do what I can to feed them. On top of that my job is Sanitation Lead we sterilize everything. All the time. Non stop. And we have for a while now. Pre-Covid we did it. Did I get busier? Sure. But it's basically been another day at work for me.

All the best to you dude.

I can't fathom any individual who abuses staff at grocery stores simply doing their job, and it was ridiculous a 2-3 weeks ago with people panic buying. It still seems manic with online shopping and websites being slow or delayed but luckily we're ok atm.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Oct 23, '20, 3:44 pm

I'm only really getting used to switching off a bit now. For a long time I had a problem with not really taking a lunch break and working longer hours, because it's harder to separate work life from home life. Lately I've been making an effort to only work the hours that I'm being paid for.

Cutting out the commute is handy, and it's cool to have a bit more freedom around my work schedule, and to be able to listen to music while working, etc. It's taken a while to get used to working from home, but I think I'll try to stick to it after the pandemic ends. It suits me.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 27, '20, 6:40 am

Home working at the start was exciting, and as I did it sporadically before, I was semi-used to it. It was fun as I had nice routine of venturing out for a walk before breakfast, then starting my day.

Over the last 2-3 months, I've hit a rut of not doing any exercise and finding time - with work and twins - difficult to do but I'm trying to get up earlier like I used to, just to have bit of time to do something (catch-up on a programme, or listen to a podcast) before work and take control of the routine again.

I try to be fair with my work time, and make up for anytime I've been occupied with other things and work are relaxed in that regards, trusting us.

I do miss the routine - except for the early alarm call, and the odd annoyances of office life - of travelling on public transport to work, listening to a pod or reading a book to keep me company, lunch breaks that allowed me to get exercise, and being active during the week.

Home working will continue for me post-pandemic due to other reasons so I need to evaluate and adjust my routine regularly.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Nov 02, '20, 1:56 pm

@AkydefGoldberg you can apply for tax relief if you began working from home due to Covid, even if it was just one day.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-emplo ... ng-at-home

It's not much but it's better in your pocket than the Tories!

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby The Legend » Nov 09, '20, 11:54 am

The nature of my work doesn't really allow me to do much work from home. This spring was really long and trying, but finally getting back to a sense of normalcy. Hopefully that remains to some degree.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Kreashko » Jan 20, '21, 1:00 pm

Back almost a year ago now I was "furloughed" from my job. Made more on unemployment than I did actually working the job. So when I got called back, I was actually sad.

Needless to say I hated the job and after being called back at the end of May, I quit officially August 5th. Never been happier since. Woooo!

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 01, '24, 12:06 pm

Four years on, it's interesting to read my posts on home working and realising I think completely different now.

Hybrid working is a nice blend especially if you have to travel far for work and being at home can be useful. However in the last few years, I found the distractions (TV, appointments, kids pick ups) too much at home to the point I would struggle to focus and get work done.

The drive to work is about 20 minutes so it was beneficial to save money on petrol and an early start to go to the office. It's nice to see colleagues in person and have a change.

Lol, but working from home in the future, I think I just need to find a cardboard size box of a room with a small window for air, no distractions and see if that works. I don't think I really mastered it but no such issues for me as I am jobless!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Return to The Pub