It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 9:44 am

My business is almost up and running!

Come introduce yourself, have a drink and talk about anything! This is the place for any and all off-topic conversations.

My business is almost up and running!

Postby Viazon » Jul 18, '18, 12:03 pm

Man, starting your own business is a lot of work. It's been a lot of hassle so far but I'm hoping it will be all worth it in the end.

If anyone doesn't know what it is I'm doing, me and my friend are opening up a comic book store and gaming cafe. We always had this idea of opening up a place where people can come and play computers and hang out and such. We decided after working jobs we hated for so many years to go for it.

Doing a bit of research online, we have discovered a company that basically does something similar to what we want to do who franchise. So that's what we have done. We've bought into a franchise. The company is called Geek Retreat and there are already four locations in the UK. The one we are opening is going to be in Milton Keynes. Opening a franchise seemed like a good idea for us as we get a lot of help from the franchiser's and a new business is more likely to succeed if it is a franchise. And seeing as we have no previous business experience, this seemed like a good idea as opposed to doing it all ourselves.

We are very nearly approaching our opening day, which is August 11th. I tell you, I'm going to miss early finishes and having every weekend off! But I guess that's a sacrifice you make when you want to make something for yourself.

We have a Facebook page made already if anyone is interested in checking it out. It would really help a lot if you guys could give it a like! I know it may not been anything for anyone not living in England, but if any of you Brits happen to know anyone you think might be interested in this place, please feel free to share it with them.

Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/GeekRetreatMiltonKeynes/

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 244

Re: My business is almost up and running!

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 18, '18, 1:58 pm

Go for it mate, you've come a long way from your struggles at B&Q and wishing you the best. It's not easy to set-up a business venture at the best of times but I'm sure your passion and hardwork will make it a success. Franchise is a good way to go, be intrigued to know about the support you get and how that relationship works.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby Viazon » Jul 20, '18, 7:06 am

Thanks dude. I'm really hoping that running a business is easier than setting it up because it's been quite the hassle. I'm sure once everything gets going and we all get settled it will all be better.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Apr 02, '20, 10:25 am

How's this going @Viazon?

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 03, '20, 5:42 am

I think I followed his FB page and it seemed to have started well but not since much since.. hope it's succeeding!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Viazon » Apr 04, '20, 10:54 am

Hey guys. Sorry I don’t come on here much these days. But I randomly stopped by today and saw these replies. Thought I’d update you.

Things have gotten a bit complicated. We were opened up as a franchise. Long story short, we are no longer with the franchise. We have ended our agreement with them and are now on our own. Legally, I’m really not allowed say anything other than that and disclose any other information regarding why this has happened.

The Facebook page we originally had was taken from us and taken down as it technically belonged to the franchise. That’s likely the reason why you haven’t seen anything from it since Aky. We had to create a new Facebook page and pretty much start from scratch. We are now called Top Deck Inn. So if you wanna check out our new page, just search for @topdeckinn on Facebook.

Things had been going really good but have obviously stalled because of this thing that’s been going around. You may have heard something about it if you follow the news. Like a lot of other places of business we were forced to close down. It’s been a bit of a stress but if we get the help from the government that we are entitled and if we get the pay out from our insurance, we could actually end up better off on the other side of all of this. If this lockdown doesn’t go on for any longer than it these to that is.

So the last couple of weeks, like most people, I’ve just been at home. It’s been nice being able to catch on tv shows and video games that I’ve been putting off, but even for a renowned introvert such as myself, being unable to leave my house and go out and do stuff is starting to get to me. Bit of an adjustment from working 50-60 hours a week to doing literally nothing. It’s typical. I’ve finally got all the time in the world to do what I want but can’t go out and do anything. At least once a day, when I’m really bored and thinking of something to do, I’ll think to myself l, “maybe I can call up some friends and we can go out and do something.” And then I’ll swiftly remember that I can’t. I’ve always loved lazy days playing computer games and watching Netflix but even this is too much for me.

So that’s what I’ve been up to. Sorry again for not coming on here as much. Running your own business gives you hardly any downtime. Hope you guys are all well.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Apr 04, '20, 1:41 pm

Fair play, it seems like you've had some challenges but are still going. That must be a sign that you're doing something right. I've only ever been to Milton Keynes once in my life, but should I ever find myself there again I'll call in.

Setting up my own business is a bit of a pipe dream of mine, so I'm always interested in hearing these stories. Keep us posted!

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 12, '20, 9:54 am

All the best Vince, really hope government initiatives help the businesses that it should, i.e. yourselves and not Premier League football clubs furloughing non-playing staff. The measures should be working much more quickly than they are. Hope you're able to use the time the way you want to take a break, refresh the batteries, before getting ready to go again whenever this calms down.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Return to The Pub