It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 5:28 am

Just re-watched the debut episode of SmackDown

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Just re-watched the debut episode of SmackDown

Postby VaderBomb » May 03, '19, 2:40 pm

... for the first time since it aired and I will tell you all that if you have the Network, watch it tonight. It's essential viewing. I'm going to watch the follow up episode of Raw tonight. I legit have vivid memories of watching this back in '99. There's no downtime, the whole show is very entertaining and quite historical for many obvious reasons. Red ring ropes too, I'm curious when I get to episode 2 if they debut the blue.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Re: Just re-watched the debut episode of SmackDown

Postby Messiah » May 05, '19, 12:57 pm

Definitely gonna check it out again! Wasn't that when Jericho had his first televised match in WWF? And I remember Rock/HHH being the main event.

Honestly, anytime I rewatch 1999-2001 WWF (the perfect combination of Edgy + Modern Wrestling), I have the same impression as you did about that SmackDown episode. There was never any filler. Not everything was perfect, but even with the Invasion Angle, it was always something happening that mattered. Literally everyone on the roster had a different character so it was hard not to be invested, plus the company has never hit with comedy better than they did during that period.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 470

Postby VaderBomb » May 05, '19, 10:25 pm

Totally agree.

You're thinking of the first episode after the original pilot which is this one: https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=2076. So you do remember it correctly. The pilot was a kind of like a test run episode, it aired like four months before the one you're thinking of. It was the formation of the Corporate Ministry. The main event was Rock and Austin teaming up for the first time ever and they faced Undertaker and Triple H.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby VaderBomb » May 06, '19, 10:26 am

What's great about this is that I recommended to my best friend to watch this episode and he watched the one that you described and praised it, so I'm excited to re-watch that one as well.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Return to WWE