It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 7:36 am

Do you still mark out for Demon Balor?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Do you still mark out for Demon Balor?

Postby KaiserGlider » Apr 09, '19, 9:33 pm

Because I can tell you the exact moment that I stopped caring about the Demon. It was at the Royal Rumble when Finn fought Lesnar for the Universal Championship... and he came out as himself.

Yup, the same Demon that emerged to fight Baron F. Corbin at Summerslam and Bobby Lashley on Sunday, but not BROCK motherfucking LESNAR when the UNIVERSAL TITLE was on the line. It made no sense, and it completely took me out of the match. Was still a good match, but took me a while to get into it.

How do you even spin this in kayfabe? If Balor has no control over when the Demon emerges, the Demon should still have the common sense to realize it's a big ass match and its presence is needed. If this thought did not occur to it, can we then assume that the Demon is mentally retarded? That's certainly not helping its cause. Was it occupied with something more important? Which in turn raises the question of what exactly the Demon does in its spare time when not possessing Balor. Considering that it only has control over a physical body when it controls Balor, I fail to see how it can do anything particularly important, like go to a doctor's appointment or a strip club, for example. Again, not helping its cause!

It's so obvious that they want to protect the Demon, because it's undefeated on the main roster. But they still wanted to do Balor vs Lesnar, without having Balor go over. And they still want to cart out the Demon as a "special attraction" for shows like Wrestlemania and Summerslam, even though the audience has now seen that it didn't come out for the biggest match of Finn's life. You can't have it all ways, WWE.

When Lesnar attacked Balor after the match, I was certain that they were gonna build to a Balor vs Lesnar rematch at the next PPV with the Demon being involved this time around. That would've made sense. But it went nowhere and Lesnar didn't compete again until Wrestlemania, and now he has presumably gone back to UFC. I kinda wish we got that match instead of Lesnar vs Rollins.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Re: Do you still mark out for Demon Balor?

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 10, '19, 9:49 am

I love Balor in both forms. Like you said, the reason they didn't bust out the gimmick for the Lesnar match is because they want to protect the gimmick.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby The Legend » Apr 10, '19, 4:05 pm

VaderBomb wrote:I love Balor in both forms. Like you said, the reason they didn't bust out the gimmick for the Lesnar match is because they want to protect the gimmick.

But here becomes the problem with having one guy with two gimmicks and only protecting one of those gimmicks. You know if Balor comes out as the Demon he's going to win for sure, but if he comes out as regular old Finn Balor he's more than likely to lose the match, just like he did with Lesnar.

The other thing about the Demon gimmick is though, he only uses that in re-matches on the main roster, never the first time/PPV going against an opponent from what I recollect, which could explain the Lesnar scenario.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Apr 10, '19, 4:35 pm

It is dumb that the Demon is undefeated, but Balor doesn't always pull it out for his big matches. It's horrible booking. There should also be more of a story reason for the Demon. If you want to tell the story that it's a dangerous part of Balor's personality that only comes out when he's driven to fury or desperation, then I'd be okay with him not using the paint for every title shot. But you have to actually tell that story.

Right now the Demon is just a gimmick that Balor wears when he's
a) performing at a big four pay per view, and
b) winning his match.

It would be nice if the Demon character was actually a little more different than regular old Balor too. He wrestles exactly the same in and out of paint.

I will say that while I loved the Demon act at first in NXT, it grew old after a while. He doesn't put enough energy or personality into it. When I watch the entrance now it never provides the atmosphere that I'm expecting. The only things I watched from Wrestlemania this year were the Kofi finish and Balor's entrance, because I thought it would be cool to see it in a big arena. But it didn't really do anything for me in the end. It didn't feel special.

Balor feels like someone who should be capable of being a real star, due to his look, his gimmick, his athleticism, and his wrestling talent. But he seems to be completely devoid of any sort of charisma which is going to prevent him from climbing higher on the card than where he is now. I reckon 90% of the current roster would get more out of the demon entrance than he does.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Ali » Apr 15, '19, 11:42 am

I think what WWE is trying and failing to get across is that The Demon only comes out when Finn is incredibly frustrated and at his breaking point with a feud, and this can easily be solved with the following interview.

Backstage Interviewer: So, Finn, what's with The Demon?
Finn Balor: Well I've learned, or rather deduced that he only comes out when I'm super pissed off.
BI: So Baron Corbin and Bobby Lashley made you mad enough to bring it out, but Brock Lesnar didn't?
FB: Well me facing Brock came about rather suddenly, so I'm guessing that he just didn't antagonize me enough in that short time to bring it out. If I had full understanding or control over The Demon, I would've obviously channeled that power to face Lesnar.
BI: What about AJ Styles? The Demon came out for him but he was a last minute replacement--
FB: For Bray Wyatt, who targeted The Demon specifically. Once he's out, he doesn't go back in until he's satisfied with either vengeance or a good fight.
BI: And Seth Rollins?
FB: That was when I had even less understanding of the power, so I don't know.

There! I just made sense out of The Demon. You're welcome.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Return to WWE