It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 3:58 am

Week 9 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Week 9 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Oct 30, '18, 12:26 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – Los Angeles Rams (8-0) at New Orleans Saints (6-1), NO by 1 – This is gonna be one hell of a matchup. The Rams barely escaped with a win over the Packers courtesy of Ty Montgomery, and now go on the road to play in a game that could very well end up deciding homefield advantage in the NFC. This is about as big a game as you’ll find in week 9 of the regular season. I feel like the Rams have to lose one sooner or later, and the Saints playing at home in a nationally televised game usually goes well for them. Saints 30, Rams 27

THURSDAY NIGHT – Oakland Raiders (1-6) at San Francisco 49ers (1-7), SF by 3.5 – This game could very well give us the team that’ll have the number one overall pick in the draft for next year. The Raiders have had a bit of fight in them, and they don’t have to travel far for the Thursday night matchup, so I’m going to take them in a mild upset. UPSET! – Raiders 23, 49ers 19

Detroit Lions (3-4) at Minnesota Vikings (4-3-1), MIN by 5.5 – The divisional gauntlet is about to begin in the NFC North, where all four teams are separated by a game or less. Here’s the first edition. Playing at home, I like the Vikings, who have at least played well against some good competition at points this year. Vikings 20, Lions 17

Kansas City Chiefs (7-1) at Cleveland Browns (2-5-1), KC by 8.5 – Maybe the Browns will get a sudden bump after firing Hue Jackson, but more likely, they’re about to be throttled by one of the league’s best teams. Chiefs 34, Browns 10

Pittsburgh Steelers (4-2-1) at Baltimore Ravens (4-4), BAL by 3 – I don’t understand this Ravens team this year. At times they’ve looked like an incredibly gritty playoff contender, at other times they’ve looked mediocre in all phases. The Steelers have also been a little tough to figure out, and playing on the road against a divisional foe is always going to be difficult. I think this week the good Ravens show up, but it’s always hard to know what to expect in these matchups. Ravens 24, Steelers 20

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-4) at Carolina Panthers (5-2), CAR by 6.5 – The Bucs rightly benched Jameis Winston for Ryan Fitzpatrick, and I think the Bucs will at least keep this one close, but the Panthers are playing some tough, clutch football right now. Nobody’s really talking about them in the NFC, but they’re right behind the Saints and Rams as contenders. Panthers 23, Bucs 17

New York Jets (3-5) at Miami Dolphins (4-4), MIA by 3 – Much like the Ravens, the Dolphins have been very tough to figure out. The Jets have somehow managed to win three games this year, but I like Miami to pick up a home divisional win. Dolphins 20, Jets 16

Atlanta Falcons (3-4) at Washington (5-2), WAS by 1.5 – Washington is another team that’s not getting a whole lot of national attention, probably because they tend to get to the playoffs and lose right away. But they’ve shown quite a bit of balance, and Adrian Peterson has really turned back the clock this year. The Falcons still have some offensive potency, but they’ve been relatively tame so far this year and I think Washington has the edge. Washington 24, Falcons 17

Chicago Bears (4-3) at Buffalo Bills (2-6), CHI by 6.5 – Mitch Trubisky is having a shockingly effective year at quarterback for the Bears. After his awful rookie season, many had already written him off, but he’s quietly been one of the more efficient players at the position so far this season. The Bills… are the Bills. Bears 30, Bills 10

Houston Texans (5-3) at Denver Broncos (3-5), DEN by 2.5 – Boy, not much respect here for the Texans. But this has been a potent offense under Deshaun Watson, and the team just added another weapon in the Broncos’ own Demaryious Thomas through a trade today. I like the Texans to keep their momentum going. UPSET! – Texans 33, Broncos 17

[b]Los Angeles Chargers (5-2) at Seattle Seahawks (4-3), SEA by 1.5
– Two more teams that nobody is talking about but somehow have winning records and are in the thick of the playoff races in their conference. Philip Rivers might be having the best season of his career, but again, nobody is talking about it. Russell Wilson is willing this team to victories with the help of a resurgent running game. Still, I think the Chargers have largely been underrated, and I like them to take down Seattle in CenturyLink. UPSET! – Chargers 23, Seahawks 17

Green Bay Packers (3-3-1) at New England Patriots (6-2), NE by 6 – The last time these two teams met was November 2014, and it was one of the finest regular season games of football you’ll ever see played, with the Packers squeezing out a 26-21 victory at home in Lambeau Field. It was the only regular season meeting between Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers (Rodgers was out with a concussion in 2010). The Packers are also the only team in the NFL that does not have a losing record to Bill Belichick’s Patriots (2-2 all time). So that all adds some intrigue to this weekend’s game… until you remember this is a Packer team that is criminally underperforming and they’re playing in Foxborough on a Sunday Night, so it’ll probably be a blowout. Patriots 38, Packers 20

Tennessee Titans 3-4) at Dallas Cowboys (3-4), DAL by 6.5 – I’m just here for the Titans to beat the Cowboys on the road and embarrass them after they spent a first to get washed up Amari Cooper. [b]UPSET! – Titans 23, Cowboys 16

BYES: Arizona Cardinals, Cincinnati Bengals, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Week 9 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby The Legend » Oct 31, '18, 10:18 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Los Angeles Rams (8-0) at New Orleans Saints (6-1), NO by 1 – Here's a fun little fact, these two teams have won 14 games this season, the six teams playing prime time games this season have won a combined 17 games (thank god for the Patriots). The Rams defense, which was already great, got even better with the addition of Dante Fowler, Jr. at the trade deadline. Are they up to the task of slowing down the high-powered Saint offense. Maybe the better question is can New Orleans slow down, Jared Goff, Todd Gurley and that plethora of wide receivers? I'm going with no and picking the Rams to continue the undefeated season. UPSET!! LA Rams 34, NO Saints 30

THURSDAY NIGHT – Oakland Raiders (1-6) at San Francisco 49ers (1-7), SF by 3.5 – The NFL should break out the checkbook and pay anyone willing to watch this sludge on National TV. I'll take the Raiders to win the ugliest game of the year, because CJ Beathard can't lead a team to wins. UPSET!! Oakland Raiders 24, SF Niners 23

Detroit Lions (3-4) at Minnesota Vikings (4-3-1), MIN by 5.5 – This is a huge game as the most competitive division heats up in the race. The tricky thing about the NFC North is that the four teams are likely to beat up on each other throughout the year and that will make earning a wildcard difficult. The game means more to Detroit, but with the Vikings at home and beginning to regain the 2017 form, I think Minnesota will take a close game. Minnesota Vikings 24, Detroit Lions 21

Kansas City Chiefs (7-1) at Cleveland Browns (2-5-1), KC by 8.5 – The Browns are a mess, in-fighting amongst coaches got two of them fired this week. The team is struggling to find weapons for Baker Mayfield which is leading to him taking way too many hits. The defense doesn't have the desire to stop the run and has flat out quit on defense twice in the past three weeks. Patrick Mahomes and Co. should have a field day on Sunday. KC Chiefs 34, Cleveland Browns 24

Pittsburgh Steelers (4-2-1) at Baltimore Ravens (4-4), BAL by 3 – The Ravens got a win in Pittsburgh earlier this season, a victory that cemented the early season contention of this team. However, Joe Flacco isn't capable of maintaining a high-level of play for very long and now Baltimore has lost two in a row. The Steelers are headed in the opposite direction, as Pittsburgh is finding its groove and ready to contend once again in the AFC. Still, the Ravens are tough to beat at home and I'll take them to eek out a close one in true AFC North fashion. Baltimore Ravens 17, Pittsburgh Steelers 16

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-4) at Carolina Panthers (5-2), CAR by 6.5 – Carolina might be the most surprising team in the NFL for me this year. Sure, I'd figure they'd be decent, but they are playing like a true contender right now. In Tampa, Jameis Winston's time is coming to an end. The Buccs were willing to put up with him while he was performing, but he has regressed this year to a point where Tampa can't win with him and that brings Ryan Fitzmagic back, but I think the rabbit has escaped the hat. Carolina Panthers 38, TB Buccaneers 31

New York Jets (3-5) at Miami Dolphins (4-4), MIA by 3 – The Dolphins are 3-1 with Ryan Tannehill at QB this year and 1-3 with Brock Osweiler. It's sounding like Tannehill's shoulder is coming along slowly and Osweiler might get another start. I simply can't pick Miami until Tannehill makes it back to full strength. The Jets get a big division win that keeps them on the fringe of playoff contention. NY Jets 27, Miami Dolphins 20

Atlanta Falcons (3-4) at Washington (5-2), WAS by 1.5 – Washington is another surprising team as Alex Smith is playing at a high level and the defense is playing at a near elite level as well. Atlanta continues to struggle with its defense and until the Falcons show they can stop someone they remain hard to have much faith in. Washington 33, Atlanta Falcons 16

Chicago Bears (4-3) at Buffalo Bills (2-6), CHI by 6.5 – This game was easy to pick before we found out that Derek Anderson would miss the game with a concussion. Now that we know Nathan Peterman is back playing NFL football and Buffalo doesn't really have a backup option, this is a total laugher. Chicago Bears 33, Buffalo Bills 7

Houston Texans (5-3) at Denver Broncos (3-5), DEN by 2.5 – Denver has gone into firesale mode and that will likely have a negative impact on the attitude of the team. The Broncos defense is good enough to limit the Texans, but I think Houston has just enough to squeeze out the road upset. UPSET!! Houston Texans 24, Denver Broncos 22

Los Angeles Chargers (5-2) at Seattle Seahawks (4-3), SEA by 1.5 – This is only the Seahawks third game in Seattle, where they are still most dangerous. The Seahawks continue to plod along with relative success no matter who they lose. The Chargers are indeed having a great season, but I just don't think they will come out on top here, even with a loss LA will still be in strong position for a playoff push. Seattle Seahawks 21, LA Chargers 20

Green Bay Packers (3-3-1) at New England Patriots (6-2), NE by 6 – Aaron Rodgers gives his team a chance in any game that he plays in, but New England is rounding into midseason form and is strong across the board. The Patriots take this one in a bit of a shootout. NE Patriots 37, GB Packers 33

Tennessee Titans (3-4) at Dallas Cowboys (3-4), DAL by 6.5 – Yuck. Dallas Cowboys 14, Tennessee Titans 11

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Messiah » Nov 01, '18, 5:50 pm

Raiders... I guess?

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Messiah » Nov 02, '18, 1:42 am

Raiders suck

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Nov 02, '18, 5:44 am

Messiah wrote:Raiders suck

Raiders are awful. Trying to figure out how the Browns gave up 45 points to that team.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Nov 04, '18, 11:33 am

Messiah wrote:Raiders... I guess?

GAME OF THE WEEK – Los Angeles Rams (8-0) at New Orleans Saints (6-1), NO by 1 – Maybe I'm biased, but the Saints aren't nearly as good as people make them out to be. I'm not saying they are bad, but this idea they are that much better than the Panthers is ludicrous. Their running game has regressed and their pass defense is downright pathetic. They are at home and Brees is a goon so this will obviously be close, but I don't see them as a good match-up with the Rams. The teams in the NFC that match-up best to the Rams are the Seahawks and Panthers. UPSET! Rams 33, Saints 28

Detroit Lions (3-4) at Minnesota Vikings (4-3-1), MIN by 5.5 – Lions are a weird ass team to figure out. Vikings bounce back after a game that was closer than the score indicated and get the W. Vikings 29, Lions 23

Kansas City Chiefs (7-1) at Cleveland Browns (2-5-1), KC by 8.5 – Gimme the upset. Browns gonna be riding on high after getting rid of that loser Jackson and I think they can force some turnovers and pull off the Cleveland Miracle that doesn't involve LeBron James. UPSET! Browns 38, Chiefs 30

Pittsburgh Steelers (4-2-1) at Baltimore Ravens (4-4), BAL by 3 – Ravens beat the Steelers earlier this season and are playing at home after two devastating losses. I'm tempted to go with the Ravens for that reason, but the Steelers are playing much better football now. UPSET! Steelers 23, Ravens 20

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-4) at Carolina Panthers (5-2), CAR by 6.5 – This is gonna be Sunday's shoot-out. Panthers 44, Buccaneers 38

New York Jets (3-5) at Miami Dolphins (4-4), MIA by 3 – Who knows? Neither team is very good. UPSET! Jets 20, Dolphins 17

Atlanta Falcons (3-4) at Washington (5-2), WAS by 1.5 – Washington is 5-2, but does anyone have any faith in them to make any noise in the playoffs? Alex Smith has not been good this year (as is typical for every QB after they leave Andy Reid) and while I'm so happy to see Peterson playing well, I feel like the wheels falling off him with the amount of carries he's having is inevitable. Falcons are desperate for a win to stay in the playoff race and I think they get that here. A loss and their season is damn near finished considering the division they play in. UPSET! Falcons 27, Redskins 21

Chicago Bears (4-3) at Buffalo Bills (2-6), CHI by 6.5 – Lol. Bears 23, Bills 10

Houston Texans (5-3) at Denver Broncos (3-5), DEN by 2.5 – Texans are rolling right now. UPSET! Texans 24, Broncos 13

Los Angeles Chargers (5-2) at Seattle Seahawks (4-3), SEA by 1.5 – Hot damn, everyone talking about Packers/Patriots and Saints/Rams, but this is gonna be a good one. When in doubt, never trust the Chargers. Seahawks 21, Chargers 20

Green Bay Packers (3-3-1) at New England Patriots (6-2), NE by 6 – Packers don't NEED this one; the NFC North is close and they would still have a time. But a loss would be devastating in a tight NFC wild-card race, especially if the Panthers and Seahawks win. But I don't know if they can beat the Pats, who have just been cruising since Edelman's return and the acquisition of Gordon. Patriots 29, Packers 27

Tennessee Titans 3-4) at Dallas Cowboys (3-4), DAL by 6.5 – Marcus Mariota is a poor mans Dak Prescott... which is not good. Cowboys 17, Titans 13

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Nov 04, '18, 12:47 pm

Messiah wrote:
Kansas City Chiefs (7-1) at Cleveland Browns (2-5-1), KC by 8.5 – Gimme the upset. Browns gonna be riding on high after getting rid of that loser Jackson and I think they can force some turnovers and pull off the Cleveland Miracle that doesn't involve LeBron James. UPSET! Browns 38, Chiefs 30

@Messiah

This might wind up going down as the worst pick in the history of our picks competition.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Nov 04, '18, 3:35 pm

The Legend wrote:
Messiah wrote:

@Messiah

This might wind up going down as the worst pick in the history of our picks competition.

It was kinda close for awhile. Gotta be bold sometimes, man.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Nov 04, '18, 4:07 pm

Messiah wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Messiah wrote:

@Messiah

It was kinda close for awhile. Gotta be bold sometimes, man.

It was 14-3 when I posted my response. Although, at no point were the Browns going to win this game. KC scored touchdowns on its first 5 drives, and scored a field goal on its sixth drive.

World Champion
World Champion

Return to NFL