It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 12:10 pm

Week 6 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Week 6 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Oct 09, '18, 8:44 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – Kansas City Chiefs (5-0) at New England Patriots (3-2), NE by 3.5 – These teams have developed quite a history in recent years, most recently with the Chiefs absolutely STOMPING the Patriots on NFL opening night in 2017. So it’s certainly not a foregone conclusion the Patriots are going to win this game. In fact, on paper, the Chiefs would seem to have the advantage in just about every area in this one. But I just cannot doubt the Patriots. So frequently they make up for talent deficits through excellent coaching and disciplined play. They’re at home, they’re starting to get on a roll after their annual slow start, and this is a game they need if they want to avoid falling behind in the race for a first-round bye. I think this is where the Chiefs pick up their first loss of the season, but it should be a good one. Patriots 30, Chiefs 27

THURSDAY – Philadelphia Eagles (2-3) at New York Giants (1-4), PHI by 3 – The Giants have looked pretty bad, and even though this is a divisional game at home on a Thursday night, it’s hard for me to look past the poor play and dysfunctional locker room drama they’ve been experiencing. This is a game the Eagles need, and they’re simply better than the Giants, even with how banged up they are at the moment. Eagles 23, Giants 16

Arizona Cardinals (1-4) at Minnesota Vikings (2-2-1), MIN By 10.5 – Good on the Cardinals for getting their first win of the season last week, but I think the Vikings are starting to wake up after their September nap. Vikings 31, Cardinals 14

Los Angeles Chargers (3-2) at Cleveland Browns (2-2-1), LAC by 1 – This is actually shaping up to be a nice game. The Browns, credit where credit is due, are playing with a lot of heart so far this year. While they’re certainly not a playoff team, they’re no longer a cakewalk. Meanwhile, Philip Rivers is quietly playing out of his mind, having maybe the best season of his career. This is going to be an interesting one, and certainly feels like the kind of game the Chargers would drop, but I think quarterback play is ultimately going to be the big difference in this one. Chargers 27, Browns 17

Chicago Bears (3-1) at Miami Dolphins (3-2), CHI by 3 – The Bears are coming off a bye week and have had extra time to prepare for a Dolphins team that’s already sputtering after its fast start. I’m not buying the Bears as a contender, but I’m also not buying the Dolphins as a team that’s capable of handling that Bears front seven. Bears 17, Dolphins 13

Carolina Panthers (3-1) at Washington (2-2), PUSH – Carolina is just the better team at the moment, as evidenced by Washington’s embarrassing output on Monday night. Panthers 24, Washington 16

Indianapolis Colts (1-4) at New York Jets (2-3), NYJ by 2.5 – Hard to know what to make of this one for sure. But I’m still not a big believer in the Jets. Andrew Luck has played well since his return, but the rest of his team has been letting him down. UPSET! – Colts 23, Jets 13

Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2-1) at Cincinnati Bengals (4-1), CIN by 2.5 – The Bengals are one of the bigger surprises in the league so far this year. After a couple down years, they’ve come storming back into relevance. The Steelers picked up a big win against Atlanta, but playing in a tough divisional game where they have to go on the road, I think they’re ceding the edge to Cincinnati here. Bengals 24, Steelers 20

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-2) at Atlanta Falcons (1-4), ATL by 3.5 – Just an inexplicably awful start for the Falcons so far this season. If they can’t figure out a way to win this one at home, their season is over. Falcons 33, Bucs 20

Oakland Raiders (1-4) vs. Seattle Seahawks (2-3) in London, SEA by 3 – The first of this year’s London games is the Marshawn Lynch bowl. The Seahawks came close to taking out the Rams—they should be able to manage the hapless Raiders. Seahawks 30, Raiders 24

Buffalo Bills (2-3) at Houston Texans (2-3), HOU by 8 – The Texans have won consecutive games for the first time in recent memory. Meanwhile, the Bills are having one of the weirdest seasons in recent memory, fluctuating between beating good teams and looking like the worst team in the league. Honestly, no idea what to expect out of this one, but I’ll take Houston at home. Texans 19, Bills 13

Los Angeles Rams (5-0) at Denver Broncos (2-3), LAR by 7 – The beat goes on for the Rams. Rams 37, Broncos 19

Jacksonville Jaguars (3-2) at Dallas Cowboys (2-3), JAX by 3 – Can’t see the Cowboys putting up many points on this Jaguars defense—they’re not the Chiefs. Jaguars 20, Cowboys 12

Baltimore Ravens (3-2) at Tennessee Titans (3-2), BAL by 3 – This is gonna be a good one. Both of these teams resemble each other in quite a few ways… tough defenses, grind-it-out offenses, generally overlooked so far this season despite getting off to better-than-expected starts, a lack of real big-time superstars or marketable characters/players on either side. Should be a good old-fashioned football game, and I’m taking the home team. UPSET! – Titans 23, Ravens 20

San Francisco 49ers (1-4) at Green Bay Packers (2-2-1), GB by 9.5 – The Packers are a bad football team at this point in the season so far, but the 49ers are hopeless and angry Rodgers is best Rodgers. For one week, at least, the Packers will get a reprieve from the drama. Packers 27, 49ers 9

BYES: Detroit Lions, New Orleans Saints

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Week 6 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby The Legend » Oct 10, '18, 11:57 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Kansas City Chiefs (5-0) at New England Patriots (3-2), NE by 3.5 – This isn't just the Game of the Week, Sunday will feature the Game of the Year. The Patriots started the season slowly, but are returning to their typical mid-season form. No matter what the league has thrown at Patrick Mahomes to this point he has proven up to the task, but New England with Belichick's defensive system is often the toughest test a rookie QB can face in any given year. I realize Mahomes isn't a rookie, but might as well be one. If he can overcome the Patriots on the road, MVP talk will heat up for the Chiefs signal caller. UPSET!!! KC Chiefs 28, NE Patriots 27

THURSDAY – Philadelphia Eagles (2-3) at New York Giants (1-4), PHI by 3 – This game is the opposite of the Sunday Night affair. A public service notice from the viewing public to the NFL: PLEASE STOP PUTTING THE NFC EAST ON NATIONAL TELEVISION!!!!!! I honestly don't know how I can pick anyone in the NFC Least to win a game outside the division. This one's gotta find a winner, although this is the year of the tie in the NFL, so I'll pick the defending Super Bowl champions to ward off the Super Bowl hangover for at least three hours this week. Philly Eagles 24, NY Giants 21

Arizona Cardinals (1-4) at Minnesota Vikings (2-2-1), MIN By 10.5 – I feel like I've got a Master's Degree in bad offensive football from watching the Browns these last two decades, but Arizona is just helpless when they have the ball. Minnesota's defense will get back on track with the Cardinals and hopefully, the Vikings passing attack continues to fly high (my fantasy team kinda hinges on Adam Thielen continuing to dominate. Minnesota Vikings 24, Arizona Cardinals 9

Los Angeles Chargers (3-2) at Cleveland Browns (2-2-1), LAC by 1 – One thing's for sure after results by 0, 3, 4, 3 and 3, including three overtimes, the Cleveland Browns will keep every game close. So far Baker Mayfield has made two starts, the Browns lost the game Mayfield put up 42 points (his four turnovers in that game made a difference) and won a game where their rookie signal caller couldn't muster an attack against the Ravens. Philip Rivers has been great so far this season, but he's going up against the only defense that has held the NFL's all-time passer under 30 points this season. Cleveland struggles when expectations arise, but I'm a masochist so they pulled me back in. UPSET!!! Cleveland Browns 24, LA Chargers 23

Chicago Bears (3-1) at Miami Dolphins (3-2), CHI by 3 – Remember when the Miami Dolphins were 3-0 and looking like world beaters that were going to contend with the Patriots? Yeah, me neither. Now the Dolphins and Ryan Tannehill are gonna Tannehill. That's not a good thing for Miami against a Chicago Bears defense that is elite at pressuring the quarterback. Chicago Bears 24, Miami Dolphins 19

Carolina Panthers (3-1) at Washington (2-2), PUSH – The Panthers were fortunate to win last week and I'm not sure they are as good as a 3-1 team usually is. However, I go back to my point on the Thursday night game. I can't pick any NFC East team right now. Carolina Panthers 24, Washington 21

Indianapolis Colts (1-4) at New York Jets (2-3), NYJ by 2.5 – We've found the toilet bowl game of the week. I'll take the home team, since I gotta pick someone. NY Jets 27, Indy Colts 23

Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2-1) at Cincinnati Bengals (4-1), CIN by 2.5 – Pittsburgh finally started to look like the team they can be and if James Conner turns in another game like last week, the question could be asked why would they want Le'Veon Bell back? I think the Steelers win this game and tighten up this division. UPSET!!! Pittsburgh Steelers 28, Cincy Bengals 26

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-2) at Atlanta Falcons (1-4), ATL by 3.5 – The Falcons are quickly turning into this season's MASH unit, especially on the defensive side of the ball. That being said, Tampa is falling apart quickly and I don't see the Buccaneers coming up with a win on the road. Atlanta Falcons 31, TB Buccaneers 30

Oakland Raiders (1-4) vs. Seattle Seahawks (2-3) in London, SEA by 3 – London games are stupid and extra hard to predict. It gets worse when those playing are two bad teams like Oakland and Seattle. I'll take the Seahawks to get the win. Seattle Seahawks 27, Oakland Raiders 21

Buffalo Bills (2-3) at Houston Texans (2-3), HOU by 8 – Houston is the better of two highly average and non-descript teams. Buffalo has taken massive steps backwards from last season. Houston should pick up the victory behind Watson and the better defense. Houston Texans 23, Buffalo Bills 20

Los Angeles Rams (5-0) at Denver Broncos (2-3), LAR by 7 – The Rams look completely unstoppable. One thing's for sure the Denver Broncos won't be the ones to stop them. LA Rams 31, Denver Broncos 21

Jacksonville Jaguars (3-2) at Dallas Cowboys (2-3), JAX by 3 – Again, see my above rules for the NFC Least. Jacksonville Jaguars 21, Dallas Cowboys 17

Baltimore Ravens (3-2) at Tennessee Titans (3-2), BAL by 3 – I hope that I'm wrong about this game, but Baltimore looks like vintage Ravens defense right now and should shut down the Titans anemic offense. Baltimore Ravens 14, Tennessee Titans 10

San Francisco 49ers (1-4) at Green Bay Packers (2-2-1), GB by 9.5 – Garaoppolo-less Niners are futile Niners. GB Packers 28, SF Niners 24

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby xgamr » Oct 11, '18, 5:49 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – Kansas City Chiefs (5-0) at New England Patriots (3-2), NE by 3.5 – pats

THURSDAY – Philadelphia Eagles (2-3) at New York Giants (1-4), PHI by 3 – eagles

Arizona Cardinals (1-4) at Minnesota Vikings (2-2-1), MIN By 10.5 –vikings

Los Angeles Chargers (3-2) at Cleveland Browns (2-2-1), LAC by 1 – chargers

Chicago Bears (3-1) at Miami Dolphins (3-2), CHI by 3 – bears

Carolina Panthers (3-1) at Washington (2-2), PUSH – panthers

Indianapolis Colts (1-4) at New York Jets (2-3), NYJ by 2.5 – UPSET Colts

Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2-1) at Cincinnati Bengals (4-1), CIN by 2.5 – Steelers upset

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-2) at Atlanta Falcons (1-4), ATL by 3.5 – falcons

Oakland Raiders (1-4) vs. Seattle Seahawks (2-3) in London, SEA by 3 – seahawks

Buffalo Bills (2-3) at Houston Texans (2-3), HOU by 8 – texans

Los Angeles Rams (5-0) at Denver Broncos (2-3), LAR by 7 – rams

Jacksonville Jaguars (3-2) at Dallas Cowboys (2-3), JAX by 3 – jags

Baltimore Ravens (3-2) at Tennessee Titans (3-2), BAL by 3 – ravens

San Francisco 49ers (1-4) at Green Bay Packers (2-2-1), GB by 9.5 – packers

Last edited by xgamr on Oct 14, '18, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby Messiah » Oct 11, '18, 6:13 pm

Gimme those Giants

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Messiah » Oct 11, '18, 7:50 pm

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Oct 14, '18, 10:49 am

Messiah wrote:Gimme those Giants

Chiefs vs Patriots
Cardinals vs Vikings
Chargers vs Browns
Bears vs Dolphins UPSET
Panthers vs Redskins
Colts vs Jets UPSET
Steelers vs Bengals
Buccaneers vs Falcons
Raiders vs Seahawks
Bills vs Texans UPSET
Rams vs Broncos UPSET (ITS SNOWING IN DENVER)
Jaguars vs Cowboys
Ravens vs Titans UPSET
49ers vs Packers

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Oct 14, '18, 1:13 pm

Panthers are the worst team in the NFL. Easily.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Oct 14, '18, 3:58 pm

Messiah wrote:Panthers are the worst team in the NFL. Easily.

Did you watch the High School Cleveland Browns play today?

World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Oct 14, '18, 9:28 pm

That Sunday Night game was everything a football fan could hope for. Holy crap that was incredible

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Oct 15, '18, 8:46 pm

Packers are officially garbage.

RIP Mike McCarthy's coaching career for Green Bay.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Oct 15, '18, 9:50 pm

ALL HAIL RODGERS

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Oct 16, '18, 5:25 am

The funny thing is those two statements are supposed to be mutually exclusive, but both are totally true.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Oct 17, '18, 5:51 pm

@Everlong

How's this week's picks coming?

World Champion
World Champion

Return to NFL