It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 5:54 pm

Week 5 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Week 5 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Oct 02, '18, 8:37 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – Jacksonville Jaguars (3-1) at Kansas City Chiefs (4-0), KC by 3 – A massive game for so early in the season, one that could have significant bearing on playoff seeding come January. This is the biggest defensive challenge Patrick Mahomes and the high-powered Chiefs offense have faced so far this year, and that’s going to be the matchup that’s going to be so fun to watch – this sturdy Jacksonville defense against this surprisingly high-octane offense. I think Jacksonville will have some success in slowing the Chiefs down, but ultimately Jacksonville’s offense is going to have to get some work done too, and I think that’s where the difference will be (plus the Kansas City homefield advantage). Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. Chiefs 24, Jaguars 20

THURSDAY NIGHT – Indianapolis Colts (1-3) at New England Patriots (2-2), NE by 10 – I can’t believe there were people seriously picking against the Patriots last week. Now they’ve got Julian Edelman coming back in addition to Josh Gordon getting up to speed. This team is going to keep getting better. Patriots 34, Colts 13

Baltimore Ravens (3-1) at Cleveland Browns (1-1-2), BAL by 3 – The Browns definitely have much more fight in them this year, but the Ravens are looking much better than anticipated after the first quarter of the year and have shown quite a bit of toughness themselves. Ravens 23, Browns 16

Tennessee Titans (3-1) at Buffalo Bills (1-3), TEN by 3.5 – The Titans aren’t getting a whole ton of respect yet, but they’ve beaten some good teams already this year. They might not be the most exciting team to watch, but they’ve got some grit. Meanwhile, Josh Allen looks absolutely awful, and the Bills probably set themselves back several years by drafting him and relying on him to start right away. Titans 20, Bills 3

New York Giants (1-3) at Carolina Panthers (2-1), CAR by 7 – Eli Manning is done, and this Giants team is looking like a disaster. It’s mind boggling that they took a running back second overall with so many holes on this roster. The Panthers should feast. Panthers 27, Giants 10

Denver Broncos (2-2) at New YorK Jets (1-3), NYJ by 1.5 – Unsure why Vegas has the Jets here—they’ve been looking progressively worse, and Denver nearly took down the best team in the AFC, if not the league, just last week. UPSET! – Broncos 24, Jets 13

Atlanta Falcons (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (1-1-2), PIT by 3 – Big game for both teams, each of whom are quickly falling behind the other contenders in their own divisions. A 1-4 start would be catastrophic for the Falcons in a very competitive NFC, and the Steelers need to be able to keep pace with Cincinnati and Baltimore. But right now, the Falcons just look like a better team. They’ve had a couple close losses to good teams and had an offensive explosion last week, but just couldn’t get the defense off the field when it mattered. There’s just too much drama in Pittsburgh right now for me to pick them in a battle of teams who desperately need a win. UPSET! – Falcons 30, Steelers 20

Green Bay Packers (2-1-1) at Detroit Lions (1-3), GB by 1 – What a weird season it’s been for the Lions so far. Three winnable games they’ve lost, but they come out and shut down the Patriots on Sunday night. It’s really hard to know what to make of this team. They’ve played the Packers really well in recent years, and at home in a divisional game, they will certainly give the Packers a good run. But the Packers are just the better team right now, and coming off a game in which Aaron Rodgers decided to call out the offensive coaching in his postgame press conference, something tells me the Packers will have something to prove. Packers 27, Lions 17

Miami Dolphins (3-1) at Cincinnati Bengals (3-1), CIN by 6.5 – The Dolphins exposed themselves as being frauds, like they always are when they get off to a good start. The Bengals are the better team in this matchup and will demonstrate that fact this weekend. Bengals 33, Dolphins 17

Oakland Raiders (1-3) at Los Angeles Chargers (2-2), LAC by 5.5 – No real reason, just a hunch that the Raiders are going to pick this one up in what should be a much more friendly crowd for them than the home team. UPSET! – Raiders 30, Chargers 27

Arizona Cardinals (0-4) at San Francisco 49ers (1-3), SF by 4 – The 49ers may be hopeless without Jimmy Garoppolo, but the Cardinals are much worse off in the coaching department—even with some more playmakers than San Francisco has. Give me the 49ers. 49ers 23, Cardinals 17

Minnesota Vikings (1-1-2) at Philadelphia Eagles (2-2), PHI by 3 – A rematch of last year’s blowout NFC Championship finds both of these teams in much different situations than many expected them to be. The Vikings’ defense has gone from the best in the league to inexplicably bad—perhaps the most stunning development involving these teams so far. The Eagles still haven’t gotten back their championship swag and are looking worse on both sides of the ball. The homefield advantage favors the Eagles, but the revenge factor and the fact that the Vikings kept with the best team in the NFL last week makes me think Minnesota will pick up a huge win. UPSET! – Vikings 28, Eagles 24

Los Angeles Rams (4-0) at Seattle Seahawks (2-2), LAR by 7 – The Rams’ defense has some work to do, but their offense is so good that it’s hard for me to pick them to lose to anybody at the moment. Rams 33, Seahawks 20

Dallas Cowboys (2-2) at Houston Texans (1-3), HOU by 3 – JJ Watt is officially back in a big way, and Deshaun Watson has started playing some good ball again. Meanwhile, Dallas remembered its identity as a pound-the-rock team and made Ezekiel Elliott the focal point of their offense last week. This one could end up being quite a fun game to watch if both teams play their best. Give me the home team. Texans 23, Cowboys 20

Washington (2-1) at New Orleans Saints (3-1), NO by 6.5 – The Saints’ defense has been awful, but when you’ve got playmakers like Alvin Kamara and Drew Brees on offense, that’ll cover up a whole lot of inteptitude. Washington has been better than expected, but they’re historically garbage in prime time, especially on the road. Saints 34, Washington 23

BYES: Chicago Bears, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Week 5 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Messiah » Oct 02, '18, 10:46 pm

Ugh. This week is scheduled with SO many appealing games like Steelers/Falcons, Chiefs/Jags, Vikings/Eagles, hell even Colts/Patriots and Raiders/Chargers.

And yet we get stuck with another Cowboys game in prime time? They are literally the most boring team to watch. Their passing offense is so bad, but not even in a disastrous way either where you can laugh at least. And they play good defense so it guarantees the game is just slow and boring. What non-Cowboys fan wants to watch them?

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 470

Postby The Legend » Oct 03, '18, 6:08 am

Messiah wrote:Ugh. This week is scheduled with SO many appealing games like Steelers/Falcons, Chiefs/Jags, Vikings/Eagles, hell even Colts/Patriots and Raiders/Chargers.

And yet we get stuck with another Cowboys game in prime time? They are literally the most boring team to watch. Their passing offense is so bad, but not even in a disastrous way either where you can laugh at least. And they play good defense so it guarantees the game is just slow and boring. What non-Cowboys fan wants to watch them?

I drafted Zeke Elliott to my fantasy team in the first round, so I find them more appealing than usual, but you are right. And really it's true of the entire NFC East, like always. I mean Philly is good, but the Giants, Cowboys and Washington all get way too much love in primetime/national 4 pm games.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby The Legend » Oct 04, '18, 9:53 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – Jacksonville Jaguars (3-1) at Kansas City Chiefs (4-0), KC by 3 – This one should be great and very entertaining. Watching Patrick Mahomes take on Sacksonville will definitely be his greatest test so far, not to mention a tough test for the Jags defense. I do think this game will be decided on the other side of the ball. In that case give me the Chiefs defense to make one more play and win the game than Jacksonville's offense. KC Chiefs 27, Jacksonville Jaguars 20

THURSDAY NIGHT – Indianapolis Colts (1-3) at New England Patriots (2-2), NE by 10 – The Patriots were certainly impressive last week, but I'm still not sure who the real Patriots are. Either way they should handle the wildly outmanned Colts on a short week. NE Patriots 34, Indy Colts 16

Baltimore Ravens (3-1) at Cleveland Browns (1-2-1), BAL by 3 – Being a Cleveland Browns fan might just be the most frustrating thing in the world. The Browns are average special teams play and the NFL having decent officials away from being undefeated. Yet here they sit on the verge of falling off the NFL's viability cliff once again. Baltimore Ratbirds 27, Cleveland Browns 21

Tennessee Titans (3-1) at Buffalo Bills (1-3), TEN by 3.5 – Buffalo and Josh Allen look exactly as bad as it could be feared they'd be. The franchise has taken a definitive step backwards from the team that made the playoffs last year. The Titans on the other hand look headed in surely the right direction. Tennessee should go on the road and take care of business with that defense. Tennessee Titans 23, Buffalo Bills 16

New York Giants (1-3) at Carolina Panthers (2-1), CAR by 7 – It's official, it is time for the Eli Manning era to end in New York. The Giants have reached the end of this road and gone as far as they can go. The Panthers can exploit a poor offensive line and a bad defense and Carolina continues to mount a strong season. Carolina Panthers 24, NY Giants 20

Denver Broncos (2-2) at New York Jets (1-3), NYJ by 1.5 – Can Denver travel across the country for an early game and beat the Jets? They could, but I'm not sure they will, as that's a tall order and the Broncos are starting to show some cracks in the foundation. I'll take the home team to take this one. NY Jets 23, Denver Broncos 21

Atlanta Falcons (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (1-2-1), PIT by 3 – Neither of these teams are particularly sound on either side of the ball. I don't have a strong logical reason for this, but screw the Squeelers. UPSET!!! Atlanta Falcons 34, Pittsburgh Steelers 28

Green Bay Packers (2-1-1) at Detroit Lions (1-3), GB by 1 – This game really could be a toss up, division games are always tough and the home teams always get a bigger boost than even usual. Detroit is struggling to show a week in week out steady level of performance and commitment, but this is a huge game for their season and if the Lions have shown anything, it's that they get up for big games. Give me the home upset. Detroit Lions 27, GB Packers 24

Miami Dolphins (3-1) at Cincinnati Bengals (3-1), CIN by 6.5 – Miami certainly folded against New England last week, but lots of teams do that, it doesn't mean their season will fall apart now. I still don't buy into the Bengals and this game should go right down to the wire. I'll still take Cincy at home in a close one, but I don't feel great about it. Cincy Bengals 20, Miami Dolphins 17

Oakland Raiders (1-3) at Los Angeles Chargers (2-2), LAC by 5.5 – The Raiders should be 0-4, if not for one of the most bizarre replay overturns we've ever seen they would be 0-4. They won't win this week as the Chargers seem to be finding some good things. LA Chargers 28, Oakland Raiders 25

Arizona Cardinals (0-4) at San Francisco 49ers (1-3), SF by 4 – Who in their right mind will be watching this game? Seriously, who wants to put themselves through three hours of this game? SF Niners 17, Arizona Cardinals 13

Minnesota Vikings (1-2-1) at Philadelphia Eagles (2-2), PHI by 3 – What is wrong with the Vikings? Seriously, what has happened to them? The Eagles get this win. Philly Eagles 23, Minnesota Vikings 21

Los Angeles Rams (4-0) at Seattle Seahawks (2-2), LAR by 7 – Child please. LA Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 20

Dallas Cowboys (2-2) at Houston Texans (1-3), HOU by 3 – The Battle of Texas! Woo hoo? Two bad teams, I'll take Houston to even up the badness. Houston Texans 24, Dallas Cowboys 21

Washington (2-1) at New Orleans Saints (3-1), NO by 6.5 – Drew Brees will break the all time passing yards record. And that is the end of compelling things that will happen in this game. NO Saints 28, Washington 27

World Champion
World Champion

Postby xgamr » Oct 04, '18, 5:51 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – Jacksonville Jaguars (3-1) at Kansas City Chiefs (4-0), KC by 3 – Chiefs

THURSDAY NIGHT – Indianapolis Colts (1-3) at New England Patriots (2-2), NE by 10 – Pats

Baltimore Ravens (3-1) at Cleveland Browns (1-1-2), BAL by 3 – Ravens

Tennessee Titans (3-1) at Buffalo Bills (1-3), TEN by 3.5 – Titans

New York Giants (1-3) at Carolina Panthers (2-1), CAR by 7 – Panthers

Denver Broncos (2-2) at New YorK Jets (1-3), NYJ by 1.5 – UPSET Broncos

Atlanta Falcons (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (1-1-2), PIT by 3 –Steelers

Green Bay Packers (2-1-1) at Detroit Lions (1-3), GB by 1 – Packers

Miami Dolphins (3-1) at Cincinnati Bengals (3-1), CIN by 6.5 – Bengals

Oakland Raiders (1-3) at Los Angeles Chargers (2-2), LAC by 5.5 – Chargers

Arizona Cardinals (0-4) at San Francisco 49ers (1-3), SF by 4 – UPSET Cards

Minnesota Vikings (1-1-2) at Philadelphia Eagles (2-2), PHI by 3 UPSET Vikings

Los Angeles Rams (4-0) at Seattle Seahawks (2-2), LAR by 7 – Rams

Dallas Cowboys (2-2) at Houston Texans (1-3), HOU by 3 – Texans

Washington (2-1) at New Orleans Saints (3-1), NO by 6.5 – Saints

Last edited by xgamr on Oct 07, '18, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby Messiah » Oct 04, '18, 6:24 pm

Colts

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Oct 07, '18, 10:12 am

I foolishly took Colts over Patriots.

GAME OF THE WEEK – Jacksonville Jaguars (3-1) at Kansas City Chiefs (4-0), KC by 3 – This should be the prime-time game, instead thousands of people will miss it because their own team is playing at the same time (including myself). In a close game between two elite teams, always go with the home dog. Arrowhead isn't an easy place to play. Chiefs 23, Jaguars 16

Baltimore Ravens (3-1) at Cleveland Browns (1-1-2), BAL by 3 – Hmm, I'm conflicted. I'm gonna go with the Browns to pull off the "upset" - I like them to force Flacco into mistakes and Garrett should have a field day. UPSET! Browns 24, Ravens 22

Tennessee Titans (3-1) at Buffalo Bills (1-3), TEN by 3.5 – I had the Titans beating the Eagles last week and glad I was right, because I really think highly of this Titans team. Defense is underrated and they can run the football well. This should send them to 4-1. Titans 29, Bills 14

New York Giants (1-3) at Carolina Panthers (2-1), CAR by 7 – Giants haven't been able to stop mobile QBs, especially in the read-option. They are now playing the greatest read-option QB ever. Panthers 34, Giants 20

Denver Broncos (2-2) at New YorK Jets (1-3), NYJ by 1.5 – Darnold is going to have a rough rookie season. I'd be surprised if Bowles isn't fired after the season. UPSET! Broncos 20, Jets 10

Atlanta Falcons (1-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (1-1-2), PIT by 3 – Fuck, I'm pissed off that this game isn't later in the day so I could watch it. This is going to be an offensive explosion on unforeseen levels. This teams might combine for 100. I'd be surprised if a team punted. Gimme Brown to have a game of epic proportions. I think he might break 300 with 3 TDs. Steelers 48, Falcons 43

Green Bay Packers (2-1-1) at Detroit Lions (1-3), GB by 1 – I have no idea what to think about the Packers. They beat the Bills, but their offense looked bleh. I'll take them here, but it wouldn't surprise me if they disappointed. Packers 29, Lions 23

Miami Dolphins (3-1) at Cincinnati Bengals (3-1), CIN by 6.5 – Another good game this week. Dolphins got out-classed in every way vs the Patriots last week while the Bengals gave two NFC powers competitive games, going 1-1 in that stretch. Bengals 27, Dolphins 17

Oakland Raiders (1-3) at Los Angeles Chargers (2-2), LAC by 5.5 – Flip a coin. Chargers are the most unpredictable team in the NFL. Chargers 34, Raiders 31

Arizona Cardinals (0-4) at San Francisco 49ers (1-3), SF by 4 – Ew. 49ers 23, Cardinals 20

Minnesota Vikings (1-1-2) at Philadelphia Eagles (2-2), PHI by 3 – Eagles haven't had a great start, but they have all been close games. Still, that offensive line looked BAD against the Titans last week. I could see this being the game where the Vikings turn it around on defense. UPSET! Vikings 30, Eagles 24

Los Angeles Rams (4-0) at Seattle Seahawks (2-2), LAR by 7 – I'm actually going with the Seahawks here, for reasons. Honestly they are at home, its a divisional game, and the Rams gotta lose at some point so this is as good of a chance as any. UPSET! Seahawks 27, Rams 24

Dallas Cowboys (2-2) at Houston Texans (1-3), HOU by 3 – Who cares. UPSET! Cowboys 23, Texans 14

Washington (2-1) at New Orleans Saints (3-1), NO by 6.5 – Washington has looked real good this year and that defense could give the Saints offense fits (which has went multiple stretches this year where they looked kinda bad). Tempted to go with the upset, but the Saints ultimately will still have too much firepower. Saints 23, Redskins 21

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Oct 07, '18, 11:51 am

Packers should strongly consider resting Aaron Rodgers.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Messiah » Oct 07, '18, 2:11 pm

I'm so sorry Tim.

Mason Crosby has missed 4 FGs and 1 XP. What a game.

If Panthers choke to Giants :cussing

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Oct 07, '18, 2:46 pm

I'm so over kickers. Time to just get rid of them all together.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Oct 07, '18, 2:51 pm

So I picked the Lions, but forgot to mark it an upset pick.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Oct 08, '18, 10:19 am

Saquon Barkley is going to go down as one of the best RBs to ever play. He's special.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Everlong » Oct 09, '18, 8:25 pm

RESULTS

Xgamr: 13-4, hit two upsets
The Legend: 11-5, hit one upset
Messiah: 10-7, hit two upsets
Everlong: 9-7, hit one upset

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Return to NFL