It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 1:38 pm

Week 1 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Discussion about the National Football League, and predictions, contests and games revolving around the NFL.

Moderator: Everlong

Week 1 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby Everlong » Sep 04, '18, 8:34 pm

I have no idea how many people to expect in this year’s picks contest, but I’ll be damned if I stop making the picks now… this is the 15th year I’m doing it for WWE-Club/PubTalk/SquaredCircle. That’s half my life spent making NFL picks on a wrestling forum! :tim

I’m probably more excited for football season than I’ve been in a long time, largely due to the changes that occurred in Green Bay this offseason. I’m fired up, and ready for some football. Let’s do this!

GAME OF THE WEEK – THURSDAY NIGHT – Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles, PHI by 2.5 – This may or may not end up being the best actual football game of the week, but there’s always something special about the opening night game—the atmosphere is electric, the champs get to raise their banner, and we finally… FINALLY have meaningful football again. It’s still TBD at the time of me writing this who will get the start for the Eagles. Carson Wentz still isn’t all the way back from his knee surgery, and Nick Foles has been banged up during the preseason as well. The best bet is that Foles is getting the start.

The Falcons lacked the same offensive magic they had in 2016 during the 2017 season, but still toughed out a road playoff win against a good Los Angeles squad last year. They’re fully capable of coming into Philly and playing spoiler, but rarely does the defending champ lose that opening night contest—they’ve got the advantage due to the atmosphere, and I’ll take Philly as a result. Eagles 23, Falcons 20

Pittsburgh Steelers at Cleveland Browns, PIT by 4 – You know, if the Browns had someone other than Hue Jackson as their coach and Jimmy Haslam as their owner, I’d say it’s starting to look like they might be turning a corner. The John Dorsey hire was a great one, and they seem to have brought in some good pieces this offseason. Plus, they finally have Josh Gordon fully back. That being said, this is still a Hue Jackson-lead team, and the Steelers have fully owned the Browns since they returned 19 years ago. I don’t see anything changing in that regard this season. Steelers 27, Browns 10

San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings, MIN by 6 – This could be another game of the week contender if the 49ers keep up the momentum they had at the end of the season last year. Still, you know the Vikings are going to come out hot and ready to put the embarrassing end to their 2017 season behind them. This team is even more loaded than it was last year, and while I don’t believe Kirk Cousins will be a world-beater, the rest of this team is too damn good for me to be picking against them very often this season. Vikings 24, 49ers 13

Cincinnati Bengals at Indianapolis Colts, IND by 3 – Really looking forward to seeing how Andrew Luck fares in his long-awaited return to the football field. If he’s back to his pre-injury self, the Colts suddenly become a contender to win that division again. The Bengals have been on the decline the last couple years after five consecutive playoff berths, and there’s no reason to think things will be anything other than stagnant unless they get significantly better coaching and quarterback play. Their defense also needs to live up to the billing it gets seemingly every preseason. Colts 27, Bengals 20

Buffalo Bills at Baltimore Ravens, BAL by 7 – The Bills needed to move on from Tyrod Taylor. That much was clear after the shitshow of a performance he put on against the Jaguars in the playoffs in January. However, Nathan Peterman is an objectively worse player, and I don’t believe in Josh Allen a single bit. I think the Bills are in a bad place right now—they’ve hitched their franchise to a QB prospect who’s more likely to bust than boom, and don’t have a capable veteran who can at least keep the team afloat. They could very well finish last in the division this year after having their first playoff berth of the century last year. Meanwhile, expect a little more of the same from the Ravens—solid defense, mediocre offense, and bungling opportunities to be a real contender for a playoff spot themselves. Ravens 20, Bills 9

Jacksonville Jaguars at New York Giants, JAX by 3 – The Tom Coughlin Bowl! Pat Shurmur isn’t the most inspired head choice for a head coach, but then again, it’s hard to judge a man based on a failure in Cleveland, the actual birthplace of sports failure in America. Still, the Giants were sunk by the abysmal coaching of Ben McAdoo last year. With a new voice, the return of their best offensive player in OBJ and an easier schedule than they had last year, the Giants could get right back into the thick of the NFC East race this year. The Jaguars, meanwhile, are a team right on the precipice. Almost all the key places from their run last year remain in place. They’re going to continue playing smashmouth football with a swagger, and I expect this game to be a tone setter for their season. Jaguars 27, Giants 17

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans Saints, NO by 9.5 – The Buccaneers’ rapist quarterback is suspended for several games for sexual assault, but don’t worry—he’ll be back long before Colin Kaepernick ever sees an NFL field again. Saints should take this one without much trouble. Saints 33, Bucs 10

Houston Texans at New England Patriots, NE by 6 – Really hoping JJ Watt stays healthy, as this could finally be the first year we truly see a full powered Watt/Clowney combo in Houston. That could really tear up the AFC. And if Deshaun Watson stays healthy and continues building on what he showed in his limited run last year… this could be a fun Texans team to watch. While the Patriots are prone to early-season snafus, we’re still taking about the Patriots at home. The smart money is always going to be on them. Patriots 30, Texans 24

Miami Dolphins at Tennessee Titans, TEN by 1.5 – Boy, it doesn’t get a whole lot blander than these two teams in the NFL at the moment. This is a make or break year for Ryan Tannehill coming off a season-ending knee surgery last year that forced the Dolphins to go out and fetch the corpse of Jay Cutler. The Titans managed a stunning playoff upset last year, but still fired their coach in the offseason in favor of the relatively untested Mike Vrabel. Both of these teams are unknowns, and I’m in need of a few upset picks, so this spot seems to be as good as any. UPSET! – Dolphins 20, Titans 17

Kansas City Chiefs at Los Angeles Chargers, LAC by 3 – I like the Chargers to compete for a playoff spot this year, but I like the Chiefs to win the division. The Chargers have essentially zero homefield advantage—even less than they did in San Diego. Andy Reid’s teams tend to get off to hot starts, so give me Kansas City in this one. UPSET! – Chiefs 30, Chargers 20

Seattle Seahawks at Denver Broncos, DEN by 2.5 – Boy, how these two teams have fallen since their Super Bowl matchup five years ago. The Legion of Boom has packed up and left town. The Broncos’ no-flight zone is no longer intimidating, and their record-breaking offense has completely disappeared except for Demaryious Thomas, who now has Case Keenum throwing him footballs. I don’t see either of these teams in the playoffs, honestly, and it’s a difficult choice here because neither of these teams has any clear matchup advantage over the other. When in doubt, pick the team with the top-five QB. UPSET! – Seahawks 27, Broncos 23

Dallas Cowboys at Carolina Panthers, CAR by 3 – This could be a really fun game to watch. The Panthers played some solid football last year, and the Cowboys struggled mightily as Dak Prescott came crashing back to earth after a stellar rookie season. Playing in Carolina, I have to give the Panthers the homefield advantage. I’m looking forward to seeing how they utilize Christian McCaffrey now that he’s truly the star of the show in the backfield. There could be some exciting offensive stuff happening there. Panthers 24, Cowboys 20

Washington at Arizona Cardinals, PUSH – Tough to know what to expect from both of these teams. How long will it be before Sam Bradford either gets injured or pulled in favor of Josh Rosen? Does Washington really have enough firepower on either side of the ball to make a push in the NFC East? Will Arizona’s defense be enough to push for a wild card spot in the NFC? Tough call. But give me Washington to take down a team that’s in transition with a new coach and an up-in-the-air QB situation. Washington 23, Cardinals 16

Chicago Bears at Green Bay Packers, GB by 7.5 – The Bears may have gotten Khalil Mack, but they’ll still be lucky to escape the cellar of a stacked NFC North this season. With Aaron Rodgers returning, the Packers are automatically Super Bowl contenders. But what’s going to be more interesting to watch this season with the Packers is their defense. Finally gone is Dom Capers, whose defense was figured out about seven years ago by every competent offensive coordinator in the league. New is the feisty Mike Pettine. The Packers also did some big-time work on improving what was their weakest position on the field the last two years: cornerback. Now, it’s suddenly a strength, with a pair of extremely promising rookies, a returning promising second-year player and a free agent return of Tramon Williams, PFF’s highest-graded nickel corner of the last year. The Packers have actually had a pretty solid front seven the last couple years, and one of the league’s best defensive lines. Now they might actually have a competent secondary to go with it. That’s not good news for the rest of the NFC North, and it’s hard for me to have any faith that Mitch Trubisky has so drastically improved over his 2017 performance that he will resemble a franchise quarterback this year. Packers 33, Bears 16

New York Jets at Detroit Lions, DET by 6.5 – While I’m excited to see what the Jets can do under Sam Darnold’s leadership this year, the Lions are a much more seasoned team that’s better on both sides of the ball. Lions 27, Jets 13

Los Angeles Rams at Oakland Raiders, LAR by 4.5 – Jon Gruden, what is you doing baby? As much as I wanted him to succeed, everything leading up to the season looks like an absolute disaster right now in Oakland… but I guess that’s why they play the games. The Rams may have won the offseason with regard to player acquisition, putting big-time investments into both sides of the ball. Their roster is even more stacked now than it was last year. They could be a lot of fun to watch this year. Rams 37, Raiders 14

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Week 1 NFL Picks and Discussion Thread!

Postby The Legend » Sep 05, '18, 11:11 am

GAME OF THE WEEK – THURSDAY NIGHT – Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles, PHI by 2.5 – A re-match of Philly's most difficult playoff game last season, right down to Nick Foles still playing quarterback. Speaking of Foles, after his Cinderella run to a championship last season Foles started to show signs of turning back into a pumpkin this pre-season. Add in the injury problems the Eagles are facing across the offense and they don't look like a team primed for a comeback. Atlanta has a sneaky great defense that should pressure Foles into mistakes and I feel like the offense will get back on track this season, starting with the upset in Week 1. UPSET!!! Atlanta Falcons 23, Philly Eagles 20

Pittsburgh Steelers at Cleveland Browns, PIT by 4 – The Cleveland Browns are better this year than they've been in the past two years, the question is how much better? Because, there's still miles between better and actually good. Pittsburgh should run away with the AFC North by the end of the season, but they enter the year without their disgruntled franchise running back and facing the woes of Road Ben. The Steelers should still win this game and there's no real logical path as to why they won't, but screw it, this is a new season with new hope and the Browns will win! UPSET!!! Cleveland Browns 24, Pittsburgh Steelers 20

San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings, MIN by 6 – I fully expect the Niners to build off the success they started to develop at the end of last season as Jimmy G gets more comfortable as the leader of the team and they continue to build around him. However, Minnesota might be the most talented and complete team in the NFC, and if they aren't the best they are still on the short list. The Vikings should get the Kirk Cousins tenure off to a great start. Minnesota Vikings 24, SF Niners 17

Cincinnati Bengals at Indianapolis Colts, IND by 3 – The Colts are getting their savior back in Andrew Luck. However, they still need Andrew Luck to be their savior and that's a problem. A lot has changed since Luck last played for Indy, namely everyone in the AFC South has gotten a lot better and the Colts should face even more deficits and need their QB to throw them back into even more games. Cincy isn't a great team, they will probably struggle this year, but they can beat Indy this season. UPSET!!! Cincy Bengals 23, Indy Colts 21

Buffalo Bills at Baltimore Ravens, BAL by 7 – The Buffalo Bills are the perfect NFL cautionary tale. Was Tyrod Taylor great? No, not at all. He was however the only QB to lead the Bills to the playoffs since people were panicking over Y2K, he's perfectly average. Neither Nathan Peterman, nor Josh Allen are anything close to perfectly average. The Ravens had an underrated season last year, narrowly missing the playoff spot the Bills took. Expect Baltimore to exact some revenge out of that moment in this game. Baltimore Ravens 27, Buffalo Bills 17

Jacksonville Jaguars at New York Giants, JAX by 3 – People are again trying to claim that they Giants aren't a terrible team. Those people are still all wrong about this team. The Jaguar defense should feast on that pathetic New York offense. Jacksonville Jaguars 24, NY Giants 10

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans Saints, NO by 9.5 – No Jameis for the Buccs means no chance. The Saints will roll through this game. NO Saints 35, TB Buccaneers 13

Houston Texans at New England Patriots, NE by 6 – This is an obviously tough opening draw for a Texans team that has a lot to figure out from QB Deshaun Watson learning how to play with his new knee to how to adjust to changing personnel. Houston should have a solid season and could be a playoff team, but this matchup just doesn't work for them. New England will start to fade this season is my prediction, but it won't be a night and day difference and they should still win their division. New England Patriots 31, Houston Texans 17

Tennessee Titans at Miami Dolphins, TEN by 1.5 – I don't know what to make of either of these teams. I doubt we are talking about either of them as Super Bowl teams in December and both could see their seasons drift either way. I'll take the home upset with the Dolphins for the extra point. UPSET!!! Miami Dolphins 23, Tennessee Titans 21

Kansas City Chiefs at Los Angeles Chargers, LAC by 3 – This is a fascinating game between two definite playoff contenders. Both teams should be led by the defense, but I'm going with the veteran quarterback over the unproven youngster that jettisoned a proven veteran in this first game. LA Chargers 17, KC Chiefs 16

Seattle Seahawks at Denver Broncos, DEN by 2.5 – I don't know what to make of either of these teams, Seattle is a shell of its former self, but Denver doesn't look much better than a shell of the former Seahawks. What the hell, give me the Seahawks for the upset. UPSET!!! Seattle Seahawks 21, Denver Broncos 17

Dallas Cowboys at Carolina Panthers, CAR by 3 – This is a coin flip game between two borderline playoff teams. I think Dallas makes the postseason and wins the weak NFC East division, but Carolina could still give them problems here and I think escapes with a narrow home win thanks to the versatility of the offense and a stout defense that can shut down the dual attack of Elliott and Prescott. Carolina Panthers 21, Dallas Cowboys 20

Washington at Arizona Cardinals, PUSH – Who cares? Neither of these teams are going anywhere quickly. Neither has a good QB situation and neither defense is stout enough. Arizona Cardinals 21, Washington 17

Chicago Bears at Green Bay Packers, GB by 7.5 – The Bears are likely to be the most improved team that nobody notices this season. The NFC North is absolutely stacked, which makes it unlikely Chicago makes a huge jump in wins. This game is likely the start of that trend. GB Packers 30, Chicago Bears 24

New York Jets at Detroit Lions, DET by 6.5 – The Lions could be a playoff team this year, even if the Jets make the strides it looks like they are making, they won't be close to Detroit's level. Detroit Lions 34, NY Jets 21

Los Angeles Rams at Oakland Raiders, LAR by 4.5 – Jon Gruden is one of the more intriguing stories of the year, returning to the sidelines after more than a decade. That being said, the Rams look poised to improve upon a great 2017 regular season. LA gets the win to start the year right. LA Rams 27, Oakland Raiders 20

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby xgamr » Sep 05, '18, 7:45 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – THURSDAY NIGHT – Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles, PHI by 2.5 – Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers at Cleveland Browns, PIT by 4 – Steelers

San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings, MIN by 6 – Vikings

Cincinnati Bengals at Indianapolis Colts, IND by 3 – UPSET Bengals

Buffalo Bills at Baltimore Ravens, BAL by 7 – Ravens

Jacksonville Jaguars at New York Giants, JAX by 3 – Jags

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans Saints, NO by 9.5 – Saints

Houston Texans at New England Patriots, NE by 6 – Pats

Miami Dolphins at Tennessee Titans, TEN by 1.5 –Titans

Kansas City Chiefs at Los Angeles Chargers, LAC by 3 –Chargers

Seattle Seahawks at Denver Broncos, DEN by 2.5 – UPSET Seahawks

Dallas Cowboys at Carolina Panthers, CAR by 3 – panthers

Washington at Arizona Cardinals, PUSH – Cards

Chicago Bears at Green Bay Packers, GB by 7.5 – Packers

New York Jets at Detroit Lions, DET by 6.5 – Lions

Los Angeles Rams at Oakland Raiders, LAR by 4.5 – Rams

Last edited by xgamr on Sep 09, '18, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby DBSoT » Sep 06, '18, 12:38 pm

GAME OF THE WEEK – THURSDAY NIGHT – Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles, PHI by 2.5 – ATLANTA

Pittsburgh Steelers at Cleveland Browns, PIT by 4 – PITTSBURGH

San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings, MIN by 6 – VIKINGS

Cincinnati Bengals at Indianapolis Colts, IND by 3 – INDY

Buffalo Bills at Baltimore Ravens, BAL by 7 – BALTIMORE

Jacksonville Jaguars at New York Giants, JAX by 3 – JACKSONVILLE

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans Saints, NO by 9.5 - NEW ORLEANS

Houston Texans at New England Patriots, NE by 6 – NEW ENGLAND

Tennessee Titans at Miami Dolphins, TEN by 1.5 – TENNESSEE

Kansas City Chiefs at Los Angeles Chargers, LAC by 3 – LOS ANGELES

Seattle Seahawks at Denver Broncos, DEN by 2.5 – DENVER

Dallas Cowboys at Carolina Panthers, CAR by 3 – CAROLINA

Washington at Arizona Cardinals, PUSH – ARIZONA

Chicago Bears at Green Bay Packers, GB by 7.5 – GREEN BAY

New York Jets at Detroit Lions, DET by 6.5 – DETROIT

Los Angeles Rams at Oakland Raiders, LAR by 4.5 – LOS ANGELES

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Messiah » Sep 06, '18, 6:46 pm

Eagles vs Falcons

Game was pushed back, lucky for me!

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Messiah » Sep 09, '18, 8:48 am

Messiah wrote:Eagles vs Falcons

Game was pushed back, lucky for me!

Pittsburgh Steelers at Cleveland Browns, PIT by 4 – No Le'Veon Bell. I've got the Steelers winning the division, but this is a road game against a Browns team intent on winning a game. Steelers are also notorious slow starters and prone to losing games against teams they shouldn't lose against. Gimme the Browns. UPSET Browns 22, Steelers 20

San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings, MIN by 6 – 49ers are getting overrated in NFL circles. I don't see them as a strong contender while the Vikings are loaded while being a well-coached team. Barring injury, they will be a problem again this year. Vikings 33, 49ers 20

Cincinnati Bengals at Indianapolis Colts, IND by 3 – The Return of the Luck! Colts aren't good. UPSET! Bengals 17, Colts 13

Buffalo Bills at Baltimore Ravens, BAL by 7 – Nathan LOLMan. Ravens 20, Bills 10

Jacksonville Jaguars at New York Giants, JAX by 3 – This is going to be a good one. Jaguars possess more talent, but the Giants have a lot of impact players too (ODB, Barkley, Engram on offense alone). I'm leaning towards the Jaguars if only because I don't see any way Eli produces against that pass defense. Jaguars 16, Giants 14

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans Saints, NO by 9.5 – LOL. Saints 38, Buccaneers 17

Houston Texans at New England Patriots, NE by 6 – Texans gonna be a problem this year guys. Trust me. This is coming from someone who hasn't usually believed in them. UPSET! Texans 28, Patriots 24

Miami Dolphins at Tennessee Titans, TEN by 1.5 –Ahhh Titans? Titans 18, Dolphins 13

Kansas City Chiefs at Los Angeles Chargers, LAC by 3 – This should be a fantastic game. I'll go with the "home" team vs the young QB. Chargers 34, Chiefs 24

Seattle Seahawks at Denver Broncos, DEN by 2.5 – I'm not sure what to think about the Seahawks. I like the Broncos more than most - secondary will still be good, pass rush will still be good, and they have weapons on offense. It ultimately depends on Case Keenum, but he's in a good situation. Plus winning in Denver is not easy. Broncos 23, Seahawks 20

Dallas Cowboys at Carolina Panthers, CAR by 3 – KEEP POUNDING Panthers 43, Cowboys 13

Washington at Arizona Cardinals, PUSH – IDK. Cardinals 14, Redskins 13

Chicago Bears at Green Bay Packers, GB by 7.5 – BEARS... aren't going to win in Lambeau but they will be competitive this year. Packers 27, Bears 24

New York Jets at Detroit Lions, DET by 6.5 – Home team. Lions 21, Jets 13

Los Angeles Rams at Oakland Raiders, LAR by 4.5 – Raiders could be better than people expect, but the Rams should be ashamed if they lose this. Rams 29, Raiders 21

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Everlong » Sep 11, '18, 11:55 am

RESULTS

Everlong: 13-5, hit two upsets
The Legend: 11-7, hit two upsets
Xgamr: 10-7, hit one upset
Messiah: 9-7
DBSoT: 8-8

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Sep 12, '18, 8:36 am

Counting the tie as a loss? What's up with that?

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Messiah » Sep 12, '18, 10:25 am

The Legend wrote:Counting the tie as a loss? What's up with that?

What else would it count as lol

Not like it makes a difference. Even if counted as a win, that means everyone gets that W. And if counted as a tie, everyone gets that tie. So it would be a wash so doesn’t really matter how it’s counted.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Everlong » Sep 13, '18, 6:23 am

It's an incorrect prediction, so it goes down as a loss.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Sep 13, '18, 11:47 am

Yeah, I know it's fine. I was just having some fun, guess it got lost in translation. Calling it a tie would have made all our winning percentages more impressive though.

World Champion
World Champion

Return to NFL