It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 8:21 am

2018/19 Football Season Thread

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

2018/19 Football Season Thread

Postby PorkChop » Aug 14, '18, 6:41 am

Who are your picks:

Premier League winner:

Champions League places:

Europa League places:

Relegation:

Mine are as follows -

Premier League winners: Man City

Champions League places: Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea

Europa League places: Man United, Spurs

Relegation: Cardiff, Huddersfield, Brighton

@AkydefGoldberg @prophet @Daz @Viazon

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: 2018/19 Football Season Thread

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 14, '18, 6:50 am

Premier League winners: Man City

Champions League places: Tottenham, Liverpool, Manchester United

Europa League places: Arsenal, Chelsea

Relegation: Southampton, Huddersfield, Cardiff City

Champions League: Juventus

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Aug 14, '18, 7:03 am

I did think about putting Southampton down in the relegation places. I went to uni down south and have quite a few mates who support Saints, who are convinced that Mark Hughes is a great manager, and have mentioned their hopes of finishing 9th or 10th this season. It's mad.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 14, '18, 9:28 am

Southampton will have the same problems as last season: scoring goals and with Hughes, they'll concede more than they put in the back of the net.

Not invested much over the summer and they were lucky other teams were poor last season otherwise they would have gone down.

How are the prospects for Villa this season @PorkChop? Bruce stays, so does Grealish and new investment appears to keep the club's financial position more secure.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Aug 14, '18, 10:13 am

I feel that the only thing separating Villa from certain promotion is a good manager.

Villa have the best squad in the league, and did last season as well. It's a disgrace that nobody considers Bruce's tenure as a disaster, considering that he's basically managing the Man City of the Championship and the best he could muster was 4th place and a play off loss.

Bruce had to put up with a lot of things off the field last year, but ultimately he should do better. Anything other than promotion this season will be a failure.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 19, '18, 12:14 pm

FFS someone shoot me. I acted upon a few reports of Aguero of being dropped and took him out and as I feared he bags a hat-trick! Glad I'm not the only one who made that abysmal error. As a FF rookie, I'll have to take it on the chin. Inclined to include Mendy but that's dependent on injury avoidance.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Aug 27, '18, 3:47 pm

Mourinho's third season syndrome is real.

Who do you want to replace him Aky?

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 28, '18, 8:27 am

I think Mourinho will and needs to get more time until there's been a sufficient run of games. I don't think the players have downed tools like Chelsea did in 15/16, it's more a case that Jose's man management of hammering his players has shattered their confidence and thus they are prone to the performances displayed by Lindelof last night. He said he won't hammer players publicly this season but whether or not that really changes much IDK.

United are struggling regardless of whether Mourinho stays or goes as there's issues that go beyond the manager and his players yet Jose shouldn't be hidden away from criticism no matter how hard he tries to remind us all he's won 3 PL titles.

When he goes mid-season, give it to Carrick until end of season! But next summer, I think if United get in a director of football structure above, which they badly need as they've spent hundreds of millions of pounds poorly since Fergie retired and Woodward, unlike his summer intervention in deciding Utd needed no defensive reinforcements, isn't skilled to do transfer business so that's why Monaco's Leonardo Jardim may be a decent bet as I don't think Zidane is suited to the job of reinvigorating a squad, and club, that is in a mess.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Aug 29, '18, 10:36 am

- Villa have the best squad in the Championship, with the highest wage bill

- Can't beat Ipswich, who had 10 men for 60 minutes

- Scrape a draw against Brentford after going behind twice

- Can't beat Reading

- Lose to Burton Albion after fielding 5 right backs, lumping it up to a 5"2, teenage striker who has never scored a goal, and only manage 2 shots on target all game

- Steve Bruce still has supporters who say he's the right man for the job

- Wot

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Sep 11, '18, 1:42 pm

Lose 4-1 to Sheffield United

STILL some people think there's nobody better than Steve Bruce

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Nov 26, '18, 4:55 am

Just dropping in to say Norwich are top of the league. We're playing football like we're sodding Barcelona. I don't know what's happening. We might actually be good now. It's all very confusing.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby PorkChop » Nov 26, '18, 3:46 pm

Daz wrote:Just dropping in to say Norwich are top of the league. We're playing football like we're sodding Barcelona. I don't know what's happening. We might actually be good now. It's all very confusing.

It's hard to see anyone but Norwich finishing top to be honest. Farke looks like a great manager in the making. For some reason Bundesliga assistant managers tear it up in the Championship.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Nov 27, '18, 1:25 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Daz wrote:Just dropping in to say Norwich are top of the league. We're playing football like we're sodding Barcelona. I don't know what's happening. We might actually be good now. It's all very confusing.

It's hard to see anyone but Norwich finishing top to be honest. Farke looks like a great manager in the making. For some reason Bundesliga assistant managers tear it up in the Championship.

Definitely gonna jinx it by saying it, but we look unbeatable at the minute. Even throwing it away against Millwall in the 82nd minute we managed to come back and win in injury time. Its ridiculous. Farke was on the verge of a revolt going into the Ipswich game and somehow after getting hammered by Leeds its just clicked into place. No idea how, or why, but its been beautiful to watch.

Buendia is a fucking baller. Moritz Leitner is excellent. Onel Hernandez is lighting fucking quick and can actually cross a ball. Pukki is a goal machine. Marco Stiepermann ... I don't even know where to begin. He was shit last year. Seriously shit. Like never kicked a ball before shit. And now, he's magic. What's happened is borderline miraculous.

#FarkeLife

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby prophet » Nov 28, '18, 5:47 pm

Just dropping in to say Bradford are bottom of the league. We’re playing football like we’re sodding Accrington Stanley except no we’re fucking not because they’re higher up than us. We might actually be shit again. It’s not at all confusing, we had our three years of mild success...now it’s back to being awful for at least another 7 years.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 07, '18, 9:40 am

I was intrigued by Farke's appointment considering Wagner's success at Huddersfield, and obviously Klopp at Liverpool to complete the Dortmund connection and they didn't seem to be pulling up trees last season but a while ago, took a glance at the Championship table and they were top - what's happened?!

Work colleague is a Leeds fan so it'd be great if they didn't make it up once Bielsa's knackered out his squad with his intense style.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Daz » Dec 08, '18, 2:50 pm

We're actually unbeatable. Bit mental.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby PorkChop » May 05, '19, 3:32 pm

Aky - thoughts on Solskjaer now?

He should never have been offered the permanent deal imo.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 08, '19, 8:16 am

PorkChop wrote:Aky - thoughts on Solskjaer now?

Considering we appointed the guy 'cut from the same cloth' as Ferguson in Moyes, the European pedigree of Van Gaal and the serial winner Mourinho and on balance, I'd still say appointing Ole was the right decision. Personally I'd have waited until the end of the season but even then, the whole club - structurally - is a mess and no appointment would succeed IMO.

No-one knows how good or bad he will be however he deserves a transfer window to show us he's got a plan to rid of the deadwood (been saying this since 2013) and signings that a) Woodward doesn't jerk over b) actually fit into a plan.

Nothing has changed from the summer work that has to be done, it becomes clear that it will take 3/4 transfer windows (if OGS is given the time) to get the team, and squad, competitive again. That will involve, most likely, paying off players on huge deals to go elsewhere (reminiscent of paying Nani's wages when he went on loan to Sporting Lisbon) on loan or permanently (ala Rooney) just to get rid.

Add to this City and Liverpool's domination and progression respectively, and it makes it all the more depressing.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Daz » May 10, '19, 1:24 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:
PorkChop wrote:Aky - thoughts on Solskjaer now?

Considering we appointed the guy 'cut from the same cloth' as Ferguson in Moyes, the European pedigree of Van Gaal and the serial winner Mourinho and on balance, I'd still say appointing Ole was the right decision. Personally I'd have waited until the end of the season but even then, the whole club - structurally - is a mess and no appointment would succeed IMO.

No-one knows how good or bad he will be however he deserves a transfer window to show us he's got a plan to rid of the deadwood (been saying this since 2013) and signings that a) Woodward doesn't jerk over b) actually fit into a plan.

Nothing has changed from the summer work that has to be done, it becomes clear that it will take 3/4 transfer windows (if OGS is given the time) to get the team, and squad, competitive again. That will involve, most likely, paying off players on huge deals to go elsewhere (reminiscent of paying Nani's wages when he went on loan to Sporting Lisbon) on loan or permanently (ala Rooney) just to get rid.

Add to this City and Liverpool's domination and progression respectively, and it makes it all the more depressing.

The state of Man United right now reminds me of of Norwich before the Farke/Webber era began a few years ago. Bouncing from manager to manager, the same problems throughout, nothing seemingly getting solved, players on contracts they shouldn't be on, an imbalanced dressing room that needs a major overhaul. Solskjaer may or may not be the right guy to have on the bench, but the whole club definitely needs restructuring from the head down, needs to develop its own culture again, and they need to do something to reconnect with the fanbase.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby PorkChop » May 11, '19, 7:55 am

I thought West Brom had shithoused their way to a victory there. Great comeback from Villa. Hopefully we see out the second leg.

If we don't go up this year I'd like Leeds to, as although it pains me to say it, it would make the Premier League a bit more interesting next season. I wouldn't wish West Brom's dire football on anybody and they'd come straight back down, same with Derby. Leeds or Villa would at least put up a fight and play some watchable football along the way.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Next

Return to Soccer/Football