It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 3:48 am

"Acid Rap" is the rap genre's "Dark Side of the Moon"

Talk about your favorite music, bands, artists, music videos and more!

"Acid Rap" is the rap genre's "Dark Side of the Moon"

Postby UTK » Feb 24, '16, 6:06 pm

I'm high right now and I have hath made this decree

Discuss

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: "Acid Rap" is the rap genre's "Dark Side of the Moon"

Postby JDD » Feb 24, '16, 6:18 pm

I just logged on to make a Chance The Rapper appreciation thread :lol. Chance is my favorite rapper right now and has done no wrong in his career. 10 A.M (his first mixtape) is also awesome, and SURF (by his band The Social Experiment) is great too. He also stole the show with his verse on the first song of Kanye's new album.

I had the pleasure of seeing him live last year and it was by far the best show ive ever been to. He and his band sound so good live. I cant wait for his 3rd mixtape thats supposed to come out sometime this year. Hopefully it propels him to the superstar level that he deserves to be at.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 78

Postby VaderBomb » Feb 25, '16, 1:44 am

Chance is awesome. I wouldn't go as far as comparing Acid Rap to Dark Side but it's a solid LP for sure. Honestly, KanYe's most recent few records are probably more closely related to Floyd's records on a thematic/narrative level.

My Beautiful Dark Fantasy equivalent to The Dark Side of the Moon

Yeezus equivalent to Wish You Were Here

The Life of Pablo equivalent to The Wall.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Daz » Feb 25, '16, 3:52 am

VaderBomb wrote:Chance is awesome. I wouldn't go as far as comparing Acid Rap to Dark Side but it's a solid LP for sure. Honestly, KanYe's most recent few records are probably more closely related to Floyd's records on a thematic/narrative level.

I can kind of see MBDTF as Dark Side of the Moon, but the other two feel like a little bit of a stretch.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby VaderBomb » Feb 25, '16, 11:31 am

Daz wrote:
VaderBomb wrote:Chance is awesome. I wouldn't go as far as comparing Acid Rap to Dark Side but it's a solid LP for sure. Honestly, KanYe's most recent few records are probably more closely related to Floyd's records on a thematic/narrative level.

I can kind of see MBDTF as Dark Side of the Moon, but the other two feel like a little bit of a stretch.

Yeezus is similar to WYWH in the sense that it's deeply personal as opposed to being universal (like Dark Side and MBDTF). Similar to how WYWH is a departure from the earlier Floyd records, Yeezus is a departure from the previous KanYe records in the sense of the overall sound and the elements that are blended to create that sonic landscape. Nonetheless, Kanye's records to me are all part of one giant narrative, which is very similar to how Floyd's records play out. Their narrative is much looser than Ye's but it's there.

The Life of Pablo is similar to The Wall in the sense where we're taking a very deep and spiritual look into the life of a severely misunderstood rock (or rap) star. The themes throughout TLOP are transcending the pressures of social media, depression and fame, learning to be a better husband and life and death in general. The themes of The Wall are transcending the pressures of depression and fame and learning how to be a better person and life and death in general. Both records are very different from each other musically, but they both have a certain spiritual coldness.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby UTK » Feb 27, '16, 1:28 pm

I'm not totally sure what I meant when I made this comparison, but I think it had to do with just how well the whole thing flowed, in addition to the psychedelic beats.

As for MBDTF, I just...don't see the big deal about Kanye. I think it's only a matter of time before people realize that Kendrick is better than him at...well, everything. Kendrick is a better storyteller and has much more clever lyrics...I think, anyway.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author
Topics: 59

Postby VaderBomb » Feb 28, '16, 2:25 am

UTK wrote:I'm not totally sure what I meant when I made this comparison, but I think it had to do with just how well the whole thing flowed, in addition to the psychedelic beats.

As for MBDTF, I just...don't see the big deal about Kanye. I think it's only a matter of time before people realize that Kendrick is better than him at...well, everything. Kendrick is a better storyteller and has much more clever lyrics...I think, anyway.

Kendrick is the best rapper in the world. No disagreement there.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby prophet » Feb 28, '16, 6:10 am

Not that this is in any way relevant to anything but this song came on in the club last night and was an absolute banger. Chance is in it. >>>

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Mar 04, '16, 8:57 pm

I think To Pimp a Butterfly is this generation's Dark Side of the Moon. Just timeless music that'll be played decades from now. You've got different genres being mixed together with Hip Hop from Jazz to Funk to Psychedelic. Timeless production with amazing lyrics.

This just has such a Pink Floyd vibe to it. Just a thing of beauty and how this song plays into the narrative of the album is remarkable as well.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Return to Music