It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 5:04 am

Best decade for music?

Talk about your favorite music, bands, artists, music videos and more!

Best decade for music?

Postby Everlong » Oct 02, '15, 10:40 am

If you had to pick a best decade for music, what would you say?

I'm quite partial to the 90s for its alternative rock, personally, though there's plenty of awesome folk to be found right now which makes me happy.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Best decade for music?

Postby The Legend » Oct 02, '15, 10:54 am

I mean I think by in large you are always going to be partial to whatever time you grew up in as a teenager or young adult. So, yes I think I'd likely say either the 90's (particularly late) or the 00's (particularly early).

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Oct 02, '15, 12:32 pm

I'm not one of those people who thinks there's a definitive answer for this, but my favourite decade for music is definitely the 90s.

I'm a massive fan of the grunge movement, many of my favourite bands belong in that genre: Alice in Chains, Screaming Trees, Pearl Jam, Silverchair, Temple of the Dog. I've been a fan of some of these bands since I was a teenager, and some of them I discovered in my 20s, but they're all among my favourites today.

There were a lot of other good alt rock bands outside that genre too. There was good punk music coming from the likes of the Offspring, a much higher standard of industrial metal from bands like Nine Inch Nails, great prog rock bands like Tool and a bunch of more accessible rock bands making great music like Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Incubus, etc.

And the 90s was when the genre-defying Faith No More released their best work too, so that's a bonus. This is still some of the most original and important music out there if you ask me.

I like Brit Pop quite a lot too, even if it almost came about as a response to the doom and gloom of the grunge movement. Blur and Oasis both had some fantastic material early on. Even the basic radio pop music was much better in the 90s than it is now. There was less focus on a heavy beat and more focus on an actual melody.

Definitely 90s for me. I'm a sucker for it. 80s would probably be next on my list.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby War Daddy » Oct 08, '15, 9:40 pm

90s since I grew up in the period, followed by early 2000s.

80s for the hair band love :lol

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Westcoastvibes » Oct 09, '15, 6:22 am

I guess it would all depend on the genres, for alternative rock / grung it would be the 90's. Rap/r&b type probably the 00's. The only one that transcends would be country, every decade has there gems but country is always evolving with a new style emerging every few years so its not hard to see why.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Soaresboy » Jan 18, '16, 10:01 pm

90's! Mostly because of the grunge breakout and incredible bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains. All bands that are still part of my everyday playlists.

Soaresboy None specified
Mark
Mark

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby Everlong » Jan 18, '16, 10:02 pm

Soaresboy wrote:90's! Mostly because of the grunge breakout and incredible bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains. All bands that are still part of my everyday playlists.

Holy shit, Soaresboy as in WWE-Club circa 2003 Soaresboy??

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Jan 19, '16, 11:50 am

Soaresboy wrote:90's! Mostly because of the grunge breakout and incredible bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains. All bands that are still part of my everyday playlists.

Hey, I remember you!

I also admire your taste! ;)

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby PorkChop » Jan 20, '16, 11:53 am

90's, especially for British music. Prodigy, Oasis, Blur, plenty of great bands topped the charts over here.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Kreashko » Jun 18, '16, 6:11 pm

I'd have to go with the 80s. I grew up in the 90s but man, were the 80s a good time for music. #IGrewUpInTheWrongEra.

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Return to Music