It is currently: Apr 30, '24, 6:14 pm

What Are Your Favorite/Top Albums of 2015 So Far?

Talk about your favorite music, bands, artists, music videos and more!

What Are Your Favorite/Top Albums of 2015 So Far?

Postby EmperorWu » Jul 25, '15, 3:42 am

So what have you guys been listening to this year? It can be an album or favorite song. Share the tunes, I'm always looking for new music to explore. Also it doesn't have to be music released in 2015, just anything you've discovered recently. All genres welcome! Most of my favorite albums this year came out a while ago. I'm never up to date on the new music. :P

I tried to put them in order or which I liked best, so here's my top 5.

#1: Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel

This has been without a doubt my favorite album discovery this year. I had never heard of this band before and found them randomly while exploring Youtube. I was instantly intrigued when I first heard it. However after multiple listen I really grew to love it. The songs are very instrumental and quite unique. There are a lot of bands out their trying this style of music but none I have heard so far have the talent this band does. If you like this style at all I highly suggest you get a good pair of headphones and listen to this album without other noise distraction. There is a lot of depth in this music IMO. I seriously love this album and listen to it constantly. The songs are much longer than traditional radio music, but every song is deserving or every second, and they don't drag on unnecessarily.

Sample Track:

#2: In Mourning - The Weight Of Oceans

This albums was leading the pack by a mile until I found my number one pick. It has a very Cthulhuesque style and the lyrics merge very well with the music. The second I heard the opening track I knew I was going to love this. It creates a very good atmosphere and really builds up the tension. I had a very hard time deciding which track to post. That one or the second. I went with the second because it starts off much faster and it's a close tie for my favorite track on the album. This album like my #1 pick really needs to be heard in it's entirety to be appreciated. It's another one that really grows on you more and more after each listen. It always wins the award for coolest cover art.

Sample Track:

#3: Hardcore Superstar - Hardcore Superstar

This album is straight up 80's Hard Rock. It's a retro party in modern times, and I find it hard not to feel happy listening to this. It's not a mockery, like a lot of other bands out their. This is legit, and you can really feel the passion. These guys crafted this album lovingly. It's a return to the style of music that they loved to play when they first started the band over 20 years ago. It was very hard choosing a song. The variety track to track is so large that no one song can give you a sample of their sound. Every track is unique, good, and fits in with the rest of the album somehow. HCSS is a party no doubt. :headbang I'm going to pick the opening track since it is the only one with a video.

Sample Track:

#4: Periphery - Juggernaut: Alpha/Omega

This one is a double album, and it needs to be included together. The interesting thing is how the tracks merge, elements from one song are in another. Sometimes large chunks of lyrics and music appear again later on the other album having evolved into something else. The level of "cross referencing" or whatever is crazy. Every song is part of the larger whole and adopts elements of another song or album, and more so somethings might just be Easter eggs of sorts. You notice elements of other songs each time you listen. This is a genre of music I'm not too familiar with but I quite enjoyed it. Once again my favorite track has no video, so I'll pick the official music video.

Sample Track:

#5: Avatar - Hail The Apocalypse

This is a strange band, with a cool look. I heard they put on a hell of a live show. I really enjoy their style. I'm not their biggest fan but I find myself enjoying their latest album quite a bit. This one took much longer to grow on me, but it really has. I don't have much to say on this one, just watch. :lol

Sample Track:

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 62

Re: What Are Your Favorite/Top Albums of 2015 So Far?

Postby Hanley! » Jul 25, '15, 8:19 am

#1: Faith No More - Sol Invictus
#2: Faith No More - Sol Invictus
#3: Faith No More - Sol Invictus
#4: Faith No More - Sol Invictus
#5: Faith No More - Sol Invictus

I could go on for a while. :P This is the best damn album. After an 18 year break, their newest album deserves to stand alongside the rest of their discography. Which is about the highest compliment I can pay it. There's a great mixture of musical styles showcased on there, a lot of passion and intensity, and a whole lot of irreverence too.

I did a longer review of it on Novacritic a while back.

Here's one of my favourite tracks from the album, but anyone who likes good, experimental rock music needs to listen to the whole damn thing.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby VaderBomb » Jul 25, '15, 11:40 am

To Pimp a Butterfly.

NUFF SAID.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby GNR » Jul 25, '15, 12:02 pm

My favorite album from this year is definitely If You're Reading This Its Too Late. If you asked me this question again in 2 months it's very likely I would add Beauty Behind The Madness and Views from the 6 to my list as well. If Frank Ocean and Kanye West would just freaking drop their albums already then I'd probably add those too, but they're being very stingy with their music. :angry1

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 18

Postby Messiah » Jul 25, '15, 12:10 pm

It's not the best album this year, but Dark Sky Paradise has some bomb ass songs.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby GNR » Jul 25, '15, 1:09 pm

Messiah wrote:It's not the best album this year, but Dark Sky Paradise has some bomb ass songs.

All Your Fault is probably my favorite song this year, that shit's hype yo.

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 18

Postby prophet » Jul 27, '15, 1:30 pm

I've not really bought many albums this year so my contribution to this thread might be a tad plain. I of course enjoyed Drake's mixtape and Kendrick continued to prove he's the best in the world with TPAB but those have been said so I'll try add some others to the list.

Bob Dylan released Shadows in the Night back in February and I loved that but I'm biased because I'm a big Dylan fan and listening to him sing Sinatra is an experience. Noel Gallagher released his second solo album which is great if you were already a fan of his. If you weren't already a fan I doubt this'd do much to change your mind.

I wanted to say Catfish and the Bottlemen's album but a Google search informs me that came out at the back end of last year. Fuck it I'll include it because I bought it this year :lol I'll probably add Frank Turner's new release to the list when I get it next week!

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 16, '15, 9:35 pm

My favorite album is Tetsuo and Youth by Lupe Fiasco. So many layers of deep lyricism behind great production, such a great album. I'm not going to lie, the lyrics are pretty difficult to decipher at first but once you get into it you just unravel more and more concepts within the album.

Outside of hip hop, I really enjoyed I Love You Honeybear by Father John Misty. There's definitely a lot of Bob Dylan influence behind his music. You guys should check him out if you haven't yet.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby flock u » Aug 17, '15, 11:16 am

Haven't really paid much attention to 2015 music because Unless it's new material from Classic Artists 9 times out of 10 I just don't care but there are 3 albums this year that have blown my mind

3-Inside the Vertigo by Soto hardcore fans of Melodic Hard Rock over the past 20 years no doubt know the name Jeff Scott Soto he's done so much work with so many different bands over the years from his main band Talisman,to Kryst The Konqueror, to Eyes,Takara,Yngwie Malmsteen providing the singing voice of Bobby Beers in the movie Rockstar to his stint in Journey(where I first saw him) and his long solo career as well He also is in a Supergroup called W.E.T which has produced two studio albums and one live album. Soto has been around the block more than a few times. But this album the debut album from his new band simply called Soto might be one of his best ever. Certainly one of his hardest rocking album. It blew me away from the very first opening riffs. I'm a huge fan of Jeff's and always will be and this album just makes me even more than a fan

2-War of Kings by Europe- I'm a big Europe Fan I mean MEGA fan even though I am of the controversial opinion that their signature song Final Countdown absolutely blows lol. This album continues the tradition they started with 2004's Start From the Dark of being a Kick ass Rocking Modern Rock album. This is one of the best albums they ever did IMO(not quite as good as the previous album Bag of Bones but damn close) Joey Tempest continues to prove that even after 30 plus years of Hard rock he STILL has the pipes. and John Norum's guitar work is as great as it ever was.

1-the Debut album of Hard Rock Supergroup Revolution Saints-This album and Band is really for fans of Classic Hard Rock and Melodic Rock. The band is comprised of Doug Aldrich from Lion,Dio and most famously Whitesnake on Lead Guitar, Legendary Bass Player Songwriter and Producer Jack Blades from Night Ranger and Damn Yankees on Bass And lead Vocals and Drums are Handled by a guy who's been around since the late 80's Fans of Journey know him well his name is Deen Castranovo He's been in Journey since 98 and also was a big part of early 90's supergroup Bad English, and 90's band Hardline he even played for Ozzy for a bit. This album is just a pure fun and great Hard Rock album. You hear the influences of all of those acts through the record. The Rocking Tracks are Rocking the Ballads are Beautiful the Harmonies are tremendous. The guitars are great. the Songwriting is top notch. This album also has some guest Appearances on it as well. Current Journey Frontman Arnel Pineda appears initially in a Duet with Deen on a beautiful ballad called You're Not Alone but also if you have the deluxe edition like I do you get two other versions of this song one with just Arnel on Vocals and one with just Deen on Vocals and Neal Schon also makes a guest appearance doing a solo on one track as well. Overall this is hands down my favorite album of the year and nothing will change that. And probably my favorite Rock album of this entire decade so far.

flock u Male
Jobber
Jobber

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 3

Return to Music