It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 4:49 am

How hard could it be to write one song?

Talk about your favorite music, bands, artists, music videos and more!

How hard could it be to write one song?

Postby Viazon » Apr 20, '15, 5:46 pm

I was watching this show the other night about which songs have earned their writers the most money. Apparently, sometimes people who actually write songs end up making more money than the people who sing them. Imagine if you wrote one song? You could live of the royalties for years. So how hard could it be really to write just one song and get rich off it?

And I don't mean well written, deep meaning songs. I mean the kind of pop drivel you hear on the radio every day. I heard this one song on the radio today where chorus was just, "I really, really, really, really, really, really like you." How hard is that to write? Another song I heard went a little like this. "Been thinking about you today. I've been thinking about you all day. I've been thinking about you all day." I swear it was just that over and over again. That really could not have taken long to write.

I'm sure I could write some bullshit like that and make money from it. How hard can it be?

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 244

Re: How hard could it be to write one song?

Postby Hanley! » Apr 20, '15, 6:00 pm

Writing the songs wouldn't be hard, but selling them would be. Particularly to the right artist: someone who might actually sell thousands or millions of units. It's really not something that just anybody out there could do. You'd have to have an in into the music industry. But yeah, there are probably a lot of songs that have earned the writers millions of dollars that they actually just knocked out in 10 minutes.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Westcoastvibes » Apr 20, '15, 6:32 pm

The smallest part of the equation is writing the song. It takes the right singer to make the words into music and the right producer to make the music into something people want to pay money for.

If you dont have the right combination of artist/producer then all you end up with is a bunch of repetitive words that rhyme with others being layed on top of a generic beat.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Apr 20, '15, 9:23 pm

Writing isn't necessary the hardest part, I think Elton John and Bob Dylan said that they write their best songs in 15-20 minutes.

Like @westcoastvibes stated, finding the right singer, the right production, having the perfect engineering, and also a hope that it charts top 40 are all things to consider for those pop singles.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby flock u » Apr 21, '15, 3:40 am

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:Writing isn't necessary the hardest part, I think Elton John and Bob Dylan said that they write their best songs in 15-20 minutes.

Like @westcoastvibes stated, finding the right singer, the right production, having the perfect engineering, and also a hope that it charts top 40 are all things to consider for those pop singles.

Except most of Elton Johns Big songs weren't written by him they were written by Bernie Taupin.

flock u Male
Jobber
Jobber

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 3

Return to Music