It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 12:23 am

To Pimp a Butterfly or: Why the fuck hasn't anybody posted about this record?????

Talk about your favorite music, bands, artists, music videos and more!

To Pimp a Butterfly or: Why the fuck hasn't anybody posted about this record?????

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 17, '15, 2:53 am

Best record since Good Kid, M.A.A.D City, and that counts everyone and in my opinion the greatest and most relevant hip-hop record since Public Enemey's Fear of a Black Planet.

To Pimp a Butterfly is an exquisite and deeply layered funky and jazzy conceptual record that not only embraces black culture but embraces human equality. It chronicles the rise of a young man from Compton, growing and existing within the record industry and the world and it's so infinitely beautiful and deep. Kendrick hits all the right notes. His rhymes and samples are better than ever, and his material could be dissected for decades. This record is THE SHIT. Check it out.

I burst into tears during the finale, Kendrick knows that he's in the position to spread the good word and there's nobody left to assist and when he screams for Tupac in the closing seconds... holy fucking shit. Next level.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Re: To Pimp a Butterfly or: Why the fuck hasn't anybody posted about this record?????

Postby War Daddy » Apr 17, '15, 1:38 pm

King Kunta.

Nuff said.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 122

Re: To Pimp a Butterfly or: Why the fuck hasn't anybody posted about this record?????

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » May 07, '15, 5:15 pm

It's honestly an incredible piece of work. Kendrick constructs his albums similar to a movie. There's so many themes and double meanings from a technical stand point. His wordplay, metaphors, and subject matter are all really deep in this album.

u is one of the most straight forward and honest songs I've ever heard from any musician. Then he follows that song up with the subject matter being the completely antithesis of u.

I also love Momma as well, the looping sample is straight up intoxicating and really pleasing sonically. I love the last verse about his trip to Africa and his encounter with a young kid.

For Sale? sounds something that would've been on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. In this song he introduces Lucy (Lucifer, the devil, etc) and switches in and out of that character. The song really adds on strongly to the narrative of the album.

Kendrick Lamar truly is a special artist, not only does he give the hip hop genre credibility but his beautiful and humanistic message in his music is so encouraging to see. I honestly think Kendrick Lamar is the Bob Dylan.

I could ramble on and on about how much I truly love this album and it's message.

“The caterpillar is a prisoner to the streets that conceived it
Its only job is to eat or consume everything around it, in order to protect itself from this mad city
While consuming its environment the caterpillar begins to notice ways to survive
One thing it noticed is how much the world shuns him, but praises the butterfly
The butterfly represents the talent, the thoughtfulness, and the beauty within the caterpillar
But having a harsh outlook on life the caterpillar sees the butterfly as weak and figures out a way to pimp it to his own benefits
Already surrounded by this mad city the caterpillar goes to work on the cocoon which institutionalizes him
He can no longer see past his own thoughts
He’s trapped
When trapped inside these walls certain ideas take roots, such as going home, and bringing back new concepts to this mad city
The result?
Wings begin to emerge, breaking the cycle of feeling stagnant
Finally free, the butterfly sheds light on situations that the caterpillar never considered, ending the internal struggle
Although the butterfly and caterpillar are completely different, they are one and the same."

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Return to Music