It is currently: May 06, '24, 4:51 pm

Robin Thicke's career is done

Talk about your favorite music, bands, artists, music videos and more!

Robin Thicke's career is done

Postby PorkChop » Jul 12, '14, 7:56 am

The feminist backlash after 'Blurred Lines' seems to have put an end to his career.

With 530 copies sold in the UK, 550 sold in Canada and fewer than 54 sold in Australia, Robin Thicke's latest album Paula has become the laughing stock of the music industry in just one week.

His album has sold less than the 'worst record of 2013', and also sold less than a Stevie Wonder album that's been out for nearly 40 years :lol

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/j ... s-downfall

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Robin Thicke's career is done

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 12, '14, 8:07 am

I don't understand how this happened so fast, wasn't Blurred Lines a huge song like a year ago only?

I don't buy the "misogynistic" stuff either. Has any of the people ripping him for that listened to a rap song in the last decade? They say much worse stuff.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Postby PorkChop » Jul 12, '14, 8:10 am

Str8Shooter wrote:I don't understand how this happened so fast, wasn't Blurred Lines a huge song like a year ago only?

I don't buy the "misogynistic" stuff either. Has any of the people ripping him for that listened to a rap song in the last decade? They say much worse stuff.

Agreed, though Blurred Lines was far more mainstream than most rap songs. The "I know you want it" line was rather creepy as well.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby prophet » Jul 12, '14, 8:16 am

This parody sums up how creepy he is in an adequate fashion.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ShaneOfan » Jul 12, '14, 8:24 am

Yeah "Blurred Lines" was a hit but so were so many other one hit wonders.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Romo » Jul 12, '14, 8:30 am

The guy is a creep and now everybody can see he is a creep.

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 12, '14, 8:38 am

Good lord that parody was awful.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Daz » Jul 12, '14, 8:46 am

I'd say it has less to do with feminist backlash and Blurred Lines and more to do with the fact he cheated on his wife then tried to win her back with desperate album named after her. That and the fact he's god awful.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Jul 12, '14, 10:08 am

Daz wrote:I'd say it has less to do with feminist backlash and Blurred Lines and more to do with the fact he cheated on his wife then tried to win her back with desperate album named after her. That and the fact he's god awful.

Robin Thicke released some of the best R&B albums before he had Blurred Lines. Seriously, The Evolution of Robin Thicke is one of the greatest R&B albums ever made. I disagree completely on him being god awful.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby Romo » Jul 12, '14, 10:24 am

Daz wrote:I'd say it has less to do with feminist backlash and Blurred Lines and more to do with the fact he cheated on his wife then tried to win her back with desperate album named after her. That and the fact he's god awful.

Yeah Blurred Line's didn't kill his career I mean look at Pharrell women love him and he was the co-writer/producer/guest on the track.... his career is booming right now

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby DBSoT » Jul 12, '14, 11:01 am

I would say he has been going through some "Growing Pains" :D

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Everlong » Jul 12, '14, 11:12 am

500... as in just 500? Not 500,000? How is that even possible?

I agree with Brett and others, there's no way it's just feminist opposition that's killed his career.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 12, '14, 11:24 am

I'm not sure it's adultery that's done it either. Surely there must be a long history of musicians who've had nasty breakups with their spouses. Yeah he wrote a song about getting her back and what not, but would people like him better if he didn't want her back?

It's almost like hating Thicke has become the newest "cool" thing do and everyone is piling on now. The whole hive mind thing.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Jul 12, '14, 12:05 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:It's almost like hating Thicke has become the newest "cool" thing do and everyone is piling on now. The whole hive mind thing.

Not every widespread opinion is a bandwagon, Brett. That's a really cynical way of thinking. Sometimes people all form the same opinion, because it's the one that makes the most sense. And Thicke comes off like a terrible person, that big song he wrote has a terrible message and it's also terrible music. There's not really any reason to not hate the guy.

As for the reason for the downfall of his career, I don't think it's just feminist backlash. There are a whole lot of horribly sexist rappers that have gotten away with saying even worse. He's probably just a one hit wonder. These things happen all the time. What little I've heard of his music is fucking awful, so it's not surprising that people would lose interest in it rather quickly. And his now terrible reputation can't help his sales either.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby prophet » Jul 12, '14, 12:10 pm

Plus why the fuck would anyone want to listen to an entire album that's (I would assume) basically him apologizing and begging for his ex-wife back? I don't think feminism has anything to do with his career bombing and his record sales being virtually non-existent. It's probably more to do with how bad the album is - it's awkward listening to a record when you know the message behind it stems from sheer desperation.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 12, '14, 12:36 pm

Hanley! wrote:
Str8Shooter wrote:It's almost like hating Thicke has become the newest "cool" thing do and everyone is piling on now. The whole hive mind thing.

Not every widespread opinion is a bandwagon, Brett. That's a really cynical way of thinking. Sometimes people all form the same opinion, because it's the one that makes the most sense. And Thicke comes off like a terrible person, that big song he wrote has a terrible message and it's also terrible music. There's not really any reason to not hate the guy.

I'm just saying it's strange because "Blurred Lines" was such a huge hit and that song was everywhere and now in a very short amount of time he's gone from the biggest song to his career being "over" and everyone hating him. Just because you thought it was terrible music doesn't make it true, clearly there were many people who liked the song, thus why it was such a big hit. I also don't see how he comes across as this terrible person, although I haven't done a ton of research into the guy. He wrote an arguably misogynistic song (which there's been many of), and he cheated on his wife (which is bad but he's hardly the first musician to do it), he hasn't been arrested for domestic violence, or any violence, no drugs, no DUI's, none of that.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Jul 12, '14, 12:44 pm

Hanley! wrote:

He comes off as a terrible person? Where has that opinion been when he has been making music since 2003? He collaborated with guys like Lil Wayne and Jay-Z throughout his career before Blurred Lines so Robin Thicke is not a nobody.

Blurred Lines was co written by Pharrell too and it has no terrible message. You have to be really delusional to buy into the "rape" message of the song. Think about that for a minute, why would 3 guys who are in a monogamous relationship and have sold MILLIONS of records produce a song that glorifies rape? Do you realize how fucking stupid that sounds. Why would a music legend like Pharrell risk his legacy like that? Why would a hip hop legend like T.I risk his legacy like that?

As far as it being "terrible music", that's just like, your opinion. It's kind of ironic how you called Brett cynical when your reasoning is the definition of cynical.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Everlong » Jul 12, '14, 12:48 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:Blurred Lines was co written by Pharrell too and it has no terrible message.

"And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it"

"The way you grab me
Must wanna get nasty"

"You the hottest bitch in this place
I feel so lucky
Hey, hey, hey
You wanna hug me
Hey, hey, hey
What rhymes with hug me?
Hey, hey, hey"

"Nothing like your last guy, he too square for you
He don't smack that ass and pull your hair like that"

"Not many women can refuse this pimpin'"

Not to mention the actual video itself being ridiculously objectifying.

"Blurred Lines" isn't the worst song or the most sexist song ever, but it's definitely wrong to say that it has "no terrible message."

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 12, '14, 12:52 pm

It doesn't have a good message, but I'd argue that the vast majority of pop/hip hop tracks are hardly good messages. Hell Miley Cyrus is supposed to be a role model to teenagers and she sings about popping Molly.

I also find it funny that Pharrell is heavily featured on that track and nobody has gone after him for his involvement to my knowledge. In fact he's about to be a coach on The Voice, a huge TV show, his star seems to be at an all time high.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Jul 12, '14, 12:53 pm

Everlong wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:Blurred Lines was co written by Pharrell too and it has no terrible message.

"And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it"

"The way you grab me
Must wanna get nasty"

"You the hottest bitch in this place
I feel so lucky
Hey, hey, hey
You wanna hug me
Hey, hey, hey
What rhymes with hug me?
Hey, hey, hey"

"Nothing like your last guy, he too square for you
He don't smack that ass and pull your hair like that"

"Not many women can refuse this pimpin'"

Not to mention the actual video itself being ridiculously objectifying.

"Blurred Lines" isn't the worst song or the most sexist song ever, but it's definitely wrong to say that it has "no terrible message."

Pharrell wrote most of the song but Robin Thicke gets the blame for it, why?

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Next

Return to Music