It is currently: May 06, '24, 4:02 am

Favorite Frontman

Talk about your favorite music, bands, artists, music videos and more!

Favorite Front(wo)man

Freddie Mercury
27%
Geddy Lee
9%
Florence Welch
No votes
Michael Jackson
18%
Jim Morrison
No votes
Robert Plant
No votes
David Bowie
No votes
Bruce Springsteen
No votes
Johnny Cash
No votes
Other
45%

Total votes : 11

Favorite Frontman

Postby HFX » Apr 24, '14, 2:27 am

Now's the vote for the star of the show. Everyone knows and loves the lead singer. Throughout the history of music there has been so many talented voices that we can't possibly list them all. But we all have a list of our favorites. So PTF, who's voice melts your ears with a musical orgasm? Again if your guy ain't in the poll vote other and let us know. I can't possibly list all the singers out there and yes the poll is HEAVILY influenced by my own personal preferences. What can I say, I'm only human :D

Also share your favorite video of your favorite singer doing what he does best.

Last edited by HFX on Apr 25, '14, 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 43

Re: Favorite Singer

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 24, '14, 2:45 am

Brian Wilson is by far and away my most favorite. Mercury is second.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby Everlong » Apr 24, '14, 9:49 am

If we're talking about the front man for a band then I gotta go for Freddie Mercury. I think he's the greatest front man that ever lived, honestly. Sucks so much that he had to die so young. :(

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Kirbi » Apr 24, '14, 2:58 pm

Dude, seriously? Guitarists and drummers in famous bands are overwhelmingly male, but there's no shortage of great female singers.

I'm not voting yet though, because this is the most difficult choice for me. Vocals are my favourite part! :D

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby HFX » Apr 24, '14, 4:17 pm

Kirbi wrote:Dude, seriously? Guitarists and drummers in famous bands are overwhelmingly male, but there's no shortage of great female singers.

I'm not voting yet though, because this is the most difficult choice for me. Vocals are my favourite part! :D

There's definitely no shortage of awesome female vocalist. Unfortunately I was limited to 9 options and then Other. You point at that list and tell me who should be removed. I had to work hard to work it down to those 9 :lol

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Kirbi » Apr 24, '14, 4:22 pm

Okay, I may have to pick Sarah Bareilles - one of the few pure pop acts that I actually enjoy - she has fantastic range, tone, delivery, and she writes great lyrics.

Second place to Jeff Buckley; again, really great voice - the tenderness in it particularly - but I do think he overused his head voice sometimes.

HFX wrote:
Kirbi wrote:Dude, seriously? Guitarists and drummers in famous bands are overwhelmingly male, but there's no shortage of great female singers.

There's definitely no shortage of awesome female vocalist. Unfortunately I was limited to 9 options and then Other. You point at that list and tell me who should be removed. I had to work hard to work it down to those 9 :lol

If you'd put in Ozzy Osbourne over Aretha Franklin, there can be no hope for you. :P

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby HFX » Apr 24, '14, 4:28 pm

I just saw Black Sabbath live two days ago and am still on an Ozzy high(no actual drugs just music).

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Kirbi » Apr 24, '14, 4:51 pm

HFX wrote:I just saw Black Sabbath live two days ago and am still on an Ozzy high(no actual drugs just music).

It's like you have some kind of illness. :lol

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby Hanley! » Apr 24, '14, 4:53 pm

A few of the above aren't great singers. Iconic for sure, but not all of them had particularly good voices or vocal ranges. Ozzy wasn't really all that good for starters. From the list, my favourite would be Freddie Mercury by a mile. I'm a big fan of David Bowie too, but while his music is just as good as Queen's, his vocals are not.

If I was talking about my favourite vocals by any band, it would easily be Alice in Chains. Because they didn't have just one great vocalist, but two. Staley is superior to Cantrell obviously, but it's the way they harmonized with each other that made them particularly noteworthy.

In terms of individual singers, I'd be torn between Mark Lanegan, Neil Hannon and Jeff Buckley. Mark Lanegan has a very distinctive, soulful voice and listening to him live is almost a surreal experience. Neil Hannon has great range and tone to his voice and is also amazing live. Jeff Buckley has maybe the best range out of any male singer I can think of, and put such emotion into his voice. It's a shame we only ever got one album from him.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Kirbi » Apr 24, '14, 4:54 pm

God Dammit, I forgot Neil Hannon!

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby Viazon » Apr 24, '14, 5:07 pm

Out of that list you put there, I had to go for Michael Jackson. He has just made more songs that I have liked than the rest of them. Freddy Mercury would have been second. My actual favourite front man though is Dave Grohl.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby HFX » Apr 24, '14, 8:10 pm

Yo Mr and Future Mrs Hanley, I know Ozzy isn't the best that's why I labeled it Favorite and not Best. You gotta admit Ozzy is one of the most iconic frontmen in music history so that's why I listed him. He's definitely one of my favorite frontmen despite there being better.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Apr 24, '14, 8:13 pm

I'm a bit confused it does say singer right?

Where's Mike Patton? WHERES MIKE FUCKING PATTON?

Patton is god.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Westcoastvibes » Apr 24, '14, 9:05 pm

I was gonna say Phil Anselmo or Dave grohl but I am leading towards brad nowell from sublime. The way he sung his songs and the personal touches he put into his lyrics were outstanding. I have always loved his music and I can't help but feel that he would still be a major player in the industry today if he was still alive

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Kirbi » Apr 25, '14, 3:17 pm

HFX wrote:Yo Mr and Future Mrs Hanley, I know Ozzy isn't the best that's why I labeled it Favorite and not Best. You gotta admit Ozzy is one of the most iconic frontmen in music history so that's why I listed him. He's definitely one of my favorite frontmen despite there being better.

Eh, if it said frontman I wouldn't have thought much about it - it's just that it says singer; I was really surprised to see him mentioned on a shortlist in that context.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby Hanley! » Apr 25, '14, 3:19 pm

Chewy wrote:I'm a bit confused it does say singer right?

Where's Mike Patton? WHERES MIKE FUCKING PATTON?

Patton is god.

Dammit, how did I forget Patton? The man who can do almost anything with his vocal chords.

Having thought about it more thoroughly, I'm pretty certain of my top five, though not what order they appear in:

1) Layne Staley
2) Mike Patton
3) Neil Hannon
4) Mark Lanegan
5) Jeff Buckley

I don't listen to as much music from female singers, but of those Regina Spektor and Sara Bareilles are my current favourites.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Hanley! » Apr 25, '14, 3:29 pm

Kirbi wrote:
HFX wrote:Yo Mr and Future Mrs Hanley, I know Ozzy isn't the best that's why I labeled it Favorite and not Best. You gotta admit Ozzy is one of the most iconic frontmen in music history so that's why I listed him. He's definitely one of my favorite frontmen despite there being better.

Eh, if it said frontman I wouldn't have thought much about it - it's just that it says singer; I was really surprised to see him mentioned on a shortlist in that context.

Yeah, I was taking the word "singer" pretty literally too. I was specifically thinking of people's skill as vocalists when I answered. That kind of topic is always going to be subjective regardless, but I think people could be objective in saying that someone like Freddie Mercury was a better vocalist than Ozzy.

I'm just being pedantic really. I could understand Ozzy being someone's favourite front man though. When taking into account his personality and the material he's working with. Just the idea of someone thinking he was one of the best singers out there seemed odd to me. Just so I'm not picking on HFX, Dave Grohl is someone that other people have name-dropped that I'd put in the same category. I'd understand people thinking he was a great front man, but there's nothing all that special about his voice.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Apr 25, '14, 3:31 pm

In terms of female singers, I do like Regina Spektor, but not sure if she'd be considered among my favorites. Here are some of my current favorite groups with female vocalists:

There's a folk group I really like called The Crane Wives, and both the singers are female. They're absolutely fantastic.

I also love Grace Potter and the Nocturnals:

And Florence + The Machine:

I also think Adele is fantastic, and I really like an Irish folk singer named Lisa Hannigan as well (she's known for performing with Damien Rice).

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Everlong » Apr 25, '14, 3:33 pm

Oh, and still on the subjects of groups with female singers, how could I forget the Alabama Shakes!

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Re: Favorite Frontman

Postby HFX » Apr 25, '14, 3:56 pm

There are y'all happy now :(. I even dropped my beloved Ozzy from the poll for my favorite female vocalist, Florence Welch.

As for my favorite frontman it is easily Freddie Mercury. He just had a range and voice that no one can match. And from live videos he also had a presence about him that few did. 45 was way to young for him to go. I wish I could have seen the original Queen perform live just to witness him.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Next

Return to Music