It is currently: May 04, '24, 11:00 am

Scariest movie of all time?

Talk about movies and television in here!

Scariest movie of all time?

Postby KaiserGlider » May 23, '16, 8:45 pm

In your opinion, what is the most terrifying/chilly/unnerving movie of all time?

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Re: Scariest movie of all time?

Postby Hanley! » May 24, '16, 5:50 am

Two girls, one cup

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Hanley! » May 25, '16, 2:26 pm

I all seriousness, now that I'm not replying on my phone, I don't watch a lot of horror films so I'm not really much of an authority on this. There's a lot of crap in the genre so I mostly avoid it, unless a film comes very highly recommended. And even still, I haven't seen a lot of the classics.

The horror film that freaked me out most was probably Dead Birds. It was a creepy period horror about confederate deserters who stole a bunch of gold and went into hiding in a run down house in the middle of nowhere which is possessed by dark spirits. It's not the best horror film I've seen, but it's the one that put me most on edge.

Earlier this year I saw an Austrian horror film called Goodnight Mommy that was fantastic. It was more disturbing than scary, but I was really impressed by it either way. The film starts with two twin boys playing in their empty house in the middle of nowhere. Then their mother comes home - she's been away to get facial reconstructive surgery, though it's unclear whether this was done for vanity reasons or medical reasons. Her face is all bandaged up as she's healing from surgery, but she's acting strange and the boys start to believe that she's not their real mother.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » May 25, '16, 4:31 pm

Now, I scare very easily. So with this in mind, understand my horror movie selection is limited because I try to avoid watching the genre in general :lol

Some of the scariest ones I can think of that I"ve seen somewhat recently:

-The Grudge (original version, not American version). That shit was freaky.

-The Shining is an outstanding movie, but it gives me the willies every time. They do an incredible job of building a really eerie/foreboding atmosphere around the entire movie. I always get unsettled watching it.

-There was this movie I saw at a horror/slasher movie marathon in HS called High Tension. I don't really remember much about it, but I remember it being perhaps the grossest movie I'd ever seen. I had to leave the room at parts.

-Darkness Falls scared the piss out of me. Shit movie if I recall, still spooked me though :lol

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby PorkChop » May 31, '16, 6:38 pm

Hanley! wrote:Earlier this year I saw an Austrian horror film called Goodnight Mommy that was fantastic. It was more disturbing than scary, but I was really impressed by it either way. The film starts with two twin boys playing in their empty house in the middle of nowhere. Then their mother comes home - she's been away to get facial reconstructive surgery, though it's unclear whether this was done for vanity reasons or medical reasons. Her face is all bandaged up as she's healing from surgery, but she's acting strange and the boys start to believe that she's not their real mother.

I watched this a few days ago, I had it on my watch list and finally got around to seeing it.

SPOILERS

I thought it was disappointing. The trailer clearly shows the mother eating a cockroach, when this never actually happens in the film - so I went into the film expecting the mother to be a creepy, supernatural impostor, but instead we just got a normal mum who's just a little bit strict. The children weren't particularly likeable, neither was the mother, and I didn't really care for any of them. It would've been good if they elaborated on the 'accident' which killed Lukas, and also the reason why the mother got the facial surgery. Were these related? Also, where's the father? They mention him early on in the film, but he's not spoken of since.

I felt it was incredibly slow paced, with a very obvious twist and was a bit pissed off that the trailer was a lie. I wouldn't recommend the film to anyone expecting to be creeped out, or just generally expecting to be entertained, really.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby The Legend » May 31, '16, 6:50 pm

I appreciate this thread for giving me a bunch of movies I'll never watch, since I hate scary movies, but on the side of that I'd vote for Nurse Betty as one of the scariest/most messed up movie I've ever seen.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby UTK » May 31, '16, 6:51 pm

I usually laugh off pretty much every horror movie, but the one that stuck with me was The Strangers. I thought I'd laugh it off just like every other horror flick I've seen, but it felt so real. It was just three fucked up people who went from house to house to see if somebody was home, then broke in and tortured them just for the thrill of it. The movie was inspired by strangers who would actually do that in the screenwriter's neighborhood growing up. The idea of somebody breaking into the place I live to torture or kill me is such a real possibility, it really unnerves me.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby VaderBomb » Jun 01, '16, 4:55 am

Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) and John Carpenter's The Thing (1982).

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Daz » Jun 01, '16, 6:50 am

The Strangers gets my vote too, more so because I think the actual idea is fucked up more than the movie itself. Also, I saw a film with a similar concept recently called Hush, only the person being hunted/tortured/home invaded is deaf. Believe it's on Netflix and well worth a watch.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby KaiserGlider » Jun 01, '16, 9:07 pm

VaderBomb wrote: John Carpenter's The Thing (1982).

That movie is awesome.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Postby UTK » Jun 01, '16, 10:57 pm

KaiserGlider wrote:
VaderBomb wrote: John Carpenter's The Thing (1982).

That movie is awesome.

Seconded. Wasn't that scary to me, just really well done

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Movies and TV