It is currently: May 09, '24, 4:13 am

Best villains from superhero films

Talk about movies and television in here!

Best villains from superhero films

Postby Hanley! » May 15, '16, 7:54 am

I was having this conversation with some of my mates after we went to see Civil War yesterday: who do you think is the best big supervillain or comic book villain? And why?

I'm putting this in the movie section, because more people are probably familiar with the movie versions of these characters than anything else. But if you want to name characters from the comic books then go ahead.

For me, the answer is definitely Magneto.

His powers are really cool, and open to being used in a lot of different ways. His motivations are understandable and even sympathetic which makes him a more interesting and fully rounded character. His love/hate relationship with Xavier adds a great dynamic to the best X-Men stories. And he really forwards the civil rights allegory that is the foundation of the X-Men universe.

The fact that he's been portrayed by two great actors in Ian McKellan and Michael Fassbender doesn't hurt either.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Best villains from superhero films

Postby Everlong » May 15, '16, 8:09 am

Yeah other than ledgers joker I'd probably also go magneto. The character has so much depth, and the fact that he's been portrayed by two awesome actors certainly helps, you're totally right there.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » May 15, '16, 1:33 pm

Joker

/thread.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » May 15, '16, 2:42 pm

I like Joker as a terrifying force of nature type villain, and agree that he's one of the stronger comic book villains out there. But I just think Magneto has always been more interesting and more multi-dimensional.

Ledger's Joker is one of the great movie portrayals of a comic book icon though, which certainly helps his status when compared to another comic book greats such as Lex Luthor, whose more modern portrayals on screen haven't lived up to the character's reputation.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » May 15, '16, 4:43 pm

Don't leave Mr. Freeze in the cold!

For real though, my list is probably Joker>Magneto>Bane.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Daz » May 15, '16, 7:53 pm

Magneto will always be my choice because I'm an X-Men fanboy.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby DBSoT » May 15, '16, 9:36 pm

Joker and it's not close. I would take Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson over Fassbender and McKellan any day. The interesting part is Joker and Magneto are almost the complete opposite in terms of story arc. We know a very good amount of Magneto's history and why he is now a villain, while on the other hand the Joker's lack of back story and no obvious motive is what makes him exciting.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Everlong » May 16, '16, 7:19 am

Also, I haven't seen Spiderman 2 in years, but I seem to remember Doctor Octopus being a decent villain.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby JDD » May 16, '16, 9:51 am

^^ Yes! Doc Oc from Spiderman 2 is my favorite. Alfred Molina did a great job. People forget how awesome of a character Doctor Octopus was in Spiderman 2. Magneto is second for me.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby Westcoastvibes » May 19, '16, 8:18 pm

The US government. They are always portrayed as the one that wants to help but in the end they are always the most evil

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Return to Movies and TV