It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 5:01 am

Game of Thrones - Season 6 - Discussion Thread

Talk about movies and television in here!

Re: Game of Thrones - Season 6 - Discussion Thread

Postby Viazon » Jun 07, '16, 2:19 pm

The Hound gonna fuck shit up.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby prophet » Jun 07, '16, 3:27 pm

STONEHEART IS COMING

GET HYPE

I THOUGHT THE TRAIN WAS GONE BUT HERE WE ARE AGAIN

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hanley! » Jun 07, '16, 5:16 pm

I still don't really care if they bring in Lady Stoneheart. It's starting to seem more likely, but I don't really know why it should matter. In the books, she never seemed like a big player. She's just a miserable zombie who's trying to gain some measure of vengeance by killing off the weakest of those connected to the Red Wedding. There's never going to be peace for the character, and there's no goodness in her. So I find it hard to invest in her at all.

It would be like Arya really joining the Faceless Men and becoming no one. If she stopped being Arya Stark, I'd stop caring about her. By completely changing an existing character, they have to rebuild my interest in them again from scratch.

This was a much better episode than last week. I liked the reveal that Margaery is playing the High Sparrow. The Queen of Thorns making fun of Cersei was cathartic. Blackfish being unimpressed by Jaime was a great moment, because it illustrates how far Jaime has fallen. He's all but worthless now.

And Lyanna Mormont was badass. I've enjoyed the meme going around online that if she had three dragons, the show would have ended three seasons ago.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby UTK » Jun 07, '16, 5:48 pm

^ We don't know how big of a role LSH will play since we've seen little of her in the books. She could be instrumental to the ending of the series for all we know.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59

Postby Hanley! » Jun 07, '16, 5:52 pm

Maybe, but I doubt it. And if she is, that would suck.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Daz » Jun 08, '16, 7:26 am

Zombie Starks are gonna claim the white walkers as their army, march on King's Landing, depose the Lannisters and Headless Ned is gonna rule. It is known.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Everlong » Jun 12, '16, 9:19 pm

What a garbage episode.

Dany's storyline keeps getting more and more cringeworthy and absurd. We couldn't even get a Waif killing on screen? And wtf has been with Arya's storyline this whole time, exactly? Jamie's character continues to get dragged through the mud in the screen which is so, so disappointing when you consider how great he is in the book.

Just... not good.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby UTK » Jun 13, '16, 2:31 pm

I thought these past two episodes were good. Not very good, just...good. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hyped for Bastardbowl.

UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Viazon » Jun 16, '16, 11:50 am

What actually is happening in Dorne? I swear we haven't seen anything going on there since the first episode.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby DBSoT » Jun 16, '16, 1:38 pm

Viazon wrote:What actually is happening in Dorne? I swear we haven't seen anything going on there since the first episode.
Almost seems like they scraped the whole Dorne storyline. I wonder if it will be a major part of the books and GRRM asked them to limited the amount they give away. Mostly because it is so different already.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Everlong » Jun 16, '16, 3:19 pm

Viazon wrote:What actually is happening in Dorne? I swear we haven't seen anything going on there since the first episode.

I'm totally fine if they just pretend like Dorne never happened to be honest :lol

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby UTK » Jun 20, '16, 10:13 am

Nobody has commented on how fucking awesome last night's episode was yet?

UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby DBSoT » Jun 20, '16, 12:50 pm

UTK wrote:Nobody has commented on how fucking awesome last night's episode was yet?
I thought it was a pretty great episode. The Jon Snow character is at it's best when he is in battle and it showed in this episode. Though the Little Finger surprise was obvious, I think it was portrayed well. Sansa being on horseback next to Little Finger was a little odd though. I know she was the one who asked him for help, but did he really stop at her camp to pick her up and than ride to the battle? Nitpicky I know. I fully expected the Karstarks to turn on Ramsey, so when they didn't and Tormund killed Small Jon, I was a bit surprised. The battle overall was a good representation of the difference between Jon and Ramsay. Jon charged forward with heart and leadership, while Ramsay was more strategic and cowardly.

In terms of the stuff at Mareen, I am starting to agree with @Hanley!, that it is becoming more difficult to root for Dany. Which is odd, because it is easy to root for everyone else that surrounds her (Tyrion, Grey Worm, etc). I even root for Tara and Theon, but their alliance wasn't enough for me to like Dany. She bullies her way into being queen of the whole city, completely changes their way of life (granted owning people is fucked up) and then creates fear by lording her dragons over the skies. I am wondering if they will have her slowly descend into madness similar to her father. I could get behind that.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby UTK » Jun 20, '16, 2:06 pm

DBSoT wrote:
UTK wrote:Nobody has commented on how fucking awesome last night's episode was yet?
I thought it was a pretty great episode. The Jon Snow character is at it's best when he is in battle and it showed in this episode. Though the Little Finger surprise was obvious, I think it was portrayed well. Sansa being on horseback next to Little Finger was a little odd though. I know she was the one who asked him for help, but did he really stop at her camp to pick her up and than ride to the battle? Nitpicky I know. I fully expected the Karstarks to turn on Ramsey, so when they didn't and Tormund killed Small Jon, I was a bit surprised. The battle overall was a good representation of the difference between Jon and Ramsay. Jon charged forward with heart and leadership, while Ramsay was more strategic and cowardly.

In terms of the stuff at Mareen, I am starting to agree with @Hanley!, that it is becoming more difficult to root for Dany. Which is odd, because it is easy to root for everyone else that surrounds her (Tyrion, Grey Worm, etc). I even root for Tara and Theon, but their alliance wasn't enough for me to like Dany. She bullies her way into being queen of the whole city, completely changes their way of life (granted owning people is fucked up) and then creates fear by lording her dragons over the skies. I am wondering if they will have her slowly descend into madness similar to her father. I could get behind that.

I actually felt the opposite. I haven't gave a shit about Dany for 2 seasons, but now she's finally getting me hype.

UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby DBSoT » Jun 20, '16, 2:53 pm

I actually felt the opposite. I haven't gave a shit about Dany for 2 seasons, but now she's finally getting me hype.
It's not that I have ever hated Dany's direction as a character, it's just that now I am starting to see where she can be described as a bit of a villain. I see myself rooting against her character's interests. Her story has picked up this season and hopefully she will finally head towards Westeros, but part of me now wants her to lose once she gets there.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Hanley! » Jun 20, '16, 4:49 pm

Dany is still a pretty reprehensible character. And just a bad character. And is portrayed by a poor actress, particularly by this show's standards.

The stuff in Winterfell was really good though. It was one of the better battles I've seen in the show so far. I liked the character stuff with Jon and with Sansa. And Rickon's death was effective and made the most sense in story - there didn't seem to be any way he was getting out of that situation alive.

That being said, the trope of another army popping up and saving the day at the last second is now becoming overdone on Game of Thrones. They should try and avoid that going forward.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Jun 21, '16, 8:43 am

Hanley! wrote:That being said, the trope of another army popping up and saving the day at the last second is now becoming overdone on Game of Thrones. They should try and avoid that going forward.

Ugh, I rolled my eyes so fucking hard at that part. Like, we all knew it was coming, I get it, but it really took away from what was an incredibly shot and directed battle scene.

Also, Ramsay's death was so satisfying. There are so many unsatisfying deaths in GoT, this one and the Tywin one are the two that stand out the most as bucking that trend.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 26, '16, 11:30 pm

Fucking hell.

We've waited years and years to finally see Jon confirmed as Rhaegar and Lyanna's son and it finally happened. That transition, that music. And he's the fucking King in the North! That was so good I don't even mind we got short changed on Wyman Manderly and the proper The North Remembers speech. So that's the North and the Vale on the same side, assuming Littlefinger's allegiance persists now that Jon is ruling instead of Sansa like he expected.

Davos' fury when he was telling off Mel for burning Shireen was incredible, now she's off who knows where in the South. The Citadel was really impressive and was a nice cooling off period in between all the insanity going on this episode. Coldhands got Bran and Meera a good bit of the way South, I'm assuming they're within dragging distance of the wall. Have to imagine they'll be letting the new King in the North know what's up (and letting the Night King in while they're at it).

Arya is back in Westeros already and serving up Frey Pies. I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of Frey succession, there's far too many of them but the Riverlands is certainly in a bit of a pickle right now. The prospective heirs of Frey were a bit feckless, never mind the no names down the line. It'll certainly be interesting to see who ends up in power in the wake of this.

Olenna laying the verbal smackdown on the Sand Snakes was cathartic, now it seems that both Dorne and the Reach will both be declaring for Dany, with the benefit of Varys and his teleporting powers. That gives her the Unsullied, the Dothraki, the Iron Fleet and two of the Seven Kingdoms already on her side. Not forgetting Rhaegal, Viserion and Drogon of course. Tyrion being named Hand of the Queen was a really great scene and even as someone who's not a fan of Dany that final scene was as hype as they come.

There's no doubt she has the largest fighting force in the conflict to come, what we're get to see is just how she's going to go about the whole thing and where the allegiances of Westeros fall in a time where the current monarch just blew up the Sept of Baelor.

Cersei is every bit as insane as it seemed, that entire opening was unbelievable. She's been talking about burning cities to the ground for some time now and we always knew that Wildfire would come into play eventually. The panic in Marge when she realised what was happening and the look on the High Sparrow's face when he knew as well. Aw man.

Now Cersei is finally the sole power in King's Landing, but to do it she literally burned any allegiances the Throne had, caused the King to take his own life and took the city by force. She has the city watch, the Kingsguard (Queensguard now I suppose), she may be able to expect the allegiance of the Westerlands (if they look past her blowing up Uncle Kev and Lancel), but that's it. All around her, her enemies are uniting and her allies are dead, not even getting into Jaime. He can not be alright with this, could be he really will kill her like Maggy the Frog predicted.

There have been some really great episodes of Game of Thrones, until now my favourite was The Watchers on the Wall. I don't have much difficulty in saying that The Winds of Winter is my new favourite. I can't wait to read this stuff!

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby EmperorWu » Jun 27, '16, 1:11 am

The writers took the nuclear option. Fine they win. I'll be tuning in next season.

Cersei has literally zero allies. I'm sure people would think she killed her son. It would be pretty convenient that he just happened to die on the same day of her trial after she blew up the sept. We as the audience may know the truth but the perception has to be that's she's the most evil person to ever live.

I really don't care for Dany anymore, here motivations don't seem too pure. I'd say they were turning her into a villain but they just went full heel with cersei, so she's going to have to turn white meat babyface or at least stay a tweener.

I really fucking hate the timelines in this show. We just have to accept that however much random amount of time has passed between scenes. I don't know if there is anything they could actually do to make it feel like people aren't just magically teleporting from place to place.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby UTK » Jun 27, '16, 11:45 am

The Season 6 finale proves that the writers still know what they're doing. Season 5 was awful, and this Season had a lot of low points as well. But holy fuck, that is how you make an exciting hour (and nine minutes) of gripping television. It rivals Breaking Bad's "Ozymandias" as the best episode of TV ever made.

For the past couple of seasons, I haven't felt very much tension watching the show. I read the novels right after Season 4 ended, and from that point on everything felt incredibly predictable. The show never really wowed me again. Big reveals, deaths, I was just like, "Yep, saw that coming." This episode changed that. I knew Cersei would blow up the Sept, it was a theory that's been around for almost a decade now. But the cinematography, the direction, the acting, and most of all, the music, made that scene the most intense minutes of my life. I knew it was going to happen well in advance yet I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. And the way they shot Tommen's suicide, the long take on the window...just wow. Here's the original score that played during the scene. Just amazing.

It reminded me of the baptism scene from "The Godfather", actually.

UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV