It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 6:50 am

Making a Murderer

Talk about movies and television in here!

Making a Murderer

Postby SortaCreative » Jan 17, '16, 7:28 am

So i'd heard alot about this from various friends and social media and what not. Decided to watch it.

What the fuck is going on? The whole ten hours my jaw was just wide open.

TIM ANSWER FOR YOUR HOME STATE.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Making a Murderer

Postby Everlong » Jan 17, '16, 10:12 am

Yeah obviously Making a Murderer is getting huge national attention right now, but the outrage is ESPECIALLY huge here in Wisconsin right now. People are petitioning to reopen the case, and there's actually a small chance it could happen.

I've only seen four episodes so far but holy FUCK it's fucked up. Especially what they did to Brendan Dassey, that kid got railroaded big time.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Viazon » Jan 17, '16, 10:29 am

Too many people have been talking about this documentary. My brother has been rattling on about it and it made headlines in the paper here in the UK. I need to see what all the fuss is about.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby War Daddy » Jan 17, '16, 2:13 pm

Basically when Tim leaves for long periods of time, bad shit happens.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby PorkChop » Jan 20, '16, 11:51 am

I'm on the second episode. I'm not quite wetting myself in anticipation of the third one, but it's a good watch.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Everlong » Jan 20, '16, 12:21 pm

PorkChop wrote:I'm on the second episode. I'm not quite wetting myself in anticipation of the third one, but it's a good watch.

I think it's either the third or fourth episode where I started getting really pissed off with everything :lol So don't worry, it's coming.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby PorkChop » Jan 20, '16, 4:34 pm

Everlong wrote:
PorkChop wrote:I'm on the second episode. I'm not quite wetting myself in anticipation of the third one, but it's a good watch.

I think it's either the third or fourth episode where I started getting really pissed off with everything :lol So don't worry, it's coming.

Yeah, I've just watched episodes 3 and 4 and now I'm mad as fuck.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Jan 21, '16, 1:11 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Everlong wrote:

Yeah, I've just watched episodes 3 and 4 and now I'm mad as fuck.

The Brendan Dassey shit is just unbelievable. Felt so bad for the kid.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby DBSoT » Jan 21, '16, 1:16 pm

I watched the whole thing a couple weeks ago and I still am not sure whether Steven Avery did it or not. As bad as the investigation was botched, it is hard to say he is innocent when there really is no other suspect. If I was a juror, I would have a hard time not convicting him. Brendan Dassey is a tougher case, becuase the kid is clearly mentally challenged and was unsure how to answer the cops questioning.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Everlong » Jan 21, '16, 1:24 pm

DBSoT wrote:I watched the whole thing a couple weeks ago and I still am not sure whether Steven Avery did it or not. As bad as the investigation was botched, it is hard to say he is innocent when there really is no other suspect. If I was a juror, I would have a hard time not convicting him. Brendan Dassey is a tougher case, becuase the kid is clearly mentally challenged and was unsure how to answer the cops questioning.

Yeah my takeaway is that whether Avery did it or not, the investigation and prosecution was so utterly fucked up that he never should have been jailed for it. There's more than enough reasonable doubt for him to have stayed free, and I'd rather have a potentially guilty person walk free than a potentially innocent person behind bars.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby DBSoT » Jan 21, '16, 3:18 pm

Everlong wrote:
DBSoT wrote:I watched the whole thing a couple weeks ago and I still am not sure whether Steven Avery did it or not. As bad as the investigation was botched, it is hard to say he is innocent when there really is no other suspect. If I was a juror, I would have a hard time not convicting him. Brendan Dassey is a tougher case, becuase the kid is clearly mentally challenged and was unsure how to answer the cops questioning.

Yeah my takeaway is that whether Avery did it or not, the investigation and prosecution was so utterly fucked up that he never should have been jailed for it. There's more than enough reasonable doubt for him to have stayed free, and I'd rather have a potentially guilty person walk free than a potentially innocent person behind bars.
I guess I didn't explain my point well enough. I would lean more towards conviction then anything else. All the evidence placed in front of the jury says that Avery is guilty. The only real argument that Avery's lawyers could make was that the cops screwed up the investigation. There isn't enough evidence to prove the cops framed Avery and there isn't evidence of anyone else being involved. If all the evidence points to one person and there is nothing else to go on, then if I was a juror, I would convict. It is a tough call, but I would need some evidence that points away from Steven Avery.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby SortaCreative » Jan 21, '16, 4:35 pm

DBSoT wrote:
Everlong wrote:

I guess I didn't explain my point well enough. I would lean more towards conviction then anything else. All the evidence placed in front of the jury says that Avery is guilty. The only real argument that Avery's lawyers could make was that the cops screwed up the investigation. There isn't enough evidence to prove the cops framed Avery and there isn't evidence of anyone else being involved. If all the evidence points to one person and there is nothing else to go on, then if I was a juror, I would convict. It is a tough call, but I would need some evidence that points away from Steven Avery.

There was barely any substantial evidence (in the documentary and left out) that conclusively pointed to Avery.

Also, his lawyers weren't allowed to bring forward any other potential suspects.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author
Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Everlong » Jan 21, '16, 5:20 pm

DBSoT wrote:The only real argument that Avery's lawyers could make was that the cops screwed up the investigation. There isn't enough evidence to prove the cops framed Avery and there isn't evidence of anyone else being involved. If all the evidence points to one person and there is nothing else to go on, then if I was a juror, I would convict. It is a tough call, but I would need some evidence that points away from Steven Avery.

You honestly don't think there's at least enough evidence to at least cast reasonable doubt in the case?

Or, a better question, do you think there is enough evidence to say without a shadow of a doubt that Avery is guilty?

If it's a "tough call," then you never, ever convict. That's recklessly negligent and is how innocent people wind up in jail.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby War Daddy » Jan 21, '16, 8:12 pm

Keeping the jury inside of Mantiwoc County is what fucked the lawyers. Had they been in Calumet, they had a better chance of winning.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby PorkChop » Jan 22, '16, 5:24 am

Everlong wrote:If it's a "tough call," then you never, ever convict. That's recklessly negligent and is how innocent people wind up in jail.

When I did jury service, absolutely nobody understood this. We had a couple of people vote guilty because although they weren't sure based on the evidence (or rather, lack of evidence) "he looks like the kind of person to do it" and therefore voted guilty. It was a thoroughly depressing experience.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Jan 22, '16, 5:44 am

PorkChop wrote:
Everlong wrote:If it's a "tough call," then you never, ever convict. That's recklessly negligent and is how innocent people wind up in jail.

When I did jury service, absolutely nobody understood this. We had a couple of people vote guilty because although they weren't sure based on the evidence (or rather, lack of evidence) "he looks like the kind of person to do it" and therefore voted guilty. It was a thoroughly depressing experience.

My experience says that this is the biggest problem with jury trials and is not at all uncommon. It goes even deeper than that though to a subconscious psychological level. Prosecutors are able to play up to jurors desire to live in a safe world, they want to hold someone accountable and punish/get off the streets someone for every crime committed so if the police and prosecutor bring them someone to hold accountable odds are they will.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby PorkChop » Jan 22, '16, 5:06 pm

Eight episodes in. The police work is totally fucked up but I'm pretty sure Avery did it anyway.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Return to Movies and TV