It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 12:41 am

My Summer Movies Ratings So Far

Talk about movies and television in here!

My Summer Movies Ratings So Far

Postby JDD » Aug 04, '15, 8:14 pm

So ive been to the theaters almost once a week this summer and have watched a shit load of movies. Ill post them here in chronilogical order and give my thoughts on each cause I thought it would be fun. Ill update it with the August movies as I see them. I chose not to post this on the normal review thread cause I felt like maing a topic :P let me know what you agree/disagree with and what youve seen so far this summer!

MAY

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON - 5/10 - This was a huge dissapointment. Comjng from someone who actually likes almost every MCU film, besides a couple, this was just boring and bland. Most of the jokes fell flat, the action was boring and the story felt like it didnt matter in the grand scheme of the MCU. Huge dissapointment and kind of killed my excitment for Civil War.

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD - 10/10 - The first of two 10/10 ratings for this summer. This was just so much fun. An amazing movie that I already had high hopes for going in to it. This goes to show just how much practical effects and stunts and great locations help a film. I hope action movies in the coming years take notes from this.

TOMMOROWLAND - 6.5/10 - It was an interesting concept that could have been done a lot better if it hadnt gone the disney/generic family movie route. It was still enjoyable, but there was a lot of wasted potential here.

POLTERGEIST - 4/10 - What an unnecessary movie. It had more laughs (unintentional of course) than it did scares. Very, very forgettable.

JUNE

ENTEROUGE - 7/10 - For fans of the tv show like myself, this was an enjoyable long episode of the show. Not the best, but it was fun catching up with the world and the characters from the show. For those who werent fans of the show or didnt see it, nothing here will get you to like the show or rushing to go watch it.

JURRASIC WORLD - 6/10 - For the most part, this movie bored me. Like in AOU, many of the jokes fell flat. The last fight scene was awesome but thats about all I was interested in. Chris Pratts character lacked all of the charisma and fun that made Starlord so awesome. Bryce Dallas Howards character was unlikeable. I didnt care whether anyone in the movie lived or died, unlike the original Jurassic Park which keeps me on the edge of my seat to this day.

DOPE - 10/10 - The most original movie of the year. One of the most original concepts in a while. It was great to see a crime movie where the main characters werent shooting anyone, but were using smarts instead. Great performances by the three young leads. Add to all that an awesome 90's hip hop soundtrack and a great message and you have my favorite movie of the summer so far. Go see this if you havnt.

INSIDE OUT - 9/10 - Like dope, another realy original concept for a film. I loved each and every character. It definatley brought me to tears at some points. Also beautifully animated. Right up there with my other favorite Pixar movies. Glad to see Pixar has bounced back after a couple pf years of "meh" films.

JULY

TERMINATOR GENISYS - 4/10 - Borning, bland, poorly acted and poorly written movie that is so bad its hard to believe its in the same series that gave us two of the best films of all time. I rank this even lower than Salvation. The Arnold vs Arnold foght was the only entertaining thing here. Also, i hope Jai Courtney stops getting cast in big roles soon. Ive never seen him in anything ive liked.

TED 2 - 6/10 - Not much to say about this one. It made me laugh. Just about as good as the first Ted. If you liked that one, you probably will like this too.

MINIONS - 2/10 - As a fan of both the Despicable Me movies, I really hated this movie. It was an obvious cash grab that lacked any of the heart and fun of the two movies that came before it.

ME & EARL & THE DYING GIRL - 9/10 - Great movie. Like Dope, another great young cast and a very original movie. It drags abit which kept me from giving it. A 10/10, but still one of my favorites this year.

ANT-MAN - 7.5/10 - Probably the biggest suprise of the summer. I was never excited for this movie to begin with and after not liking AOU, I was anticipating this to be pretty bad. It wasnt. One of the funniest MCU movies to date. Paul Rudd was great, as was Mochael Douglas. Michael Peña had some movie stealing moments too. This was on the level of Guardians, but still very enjoyable.

TRAINWRECK - 8.5/10 - I love Amy Schumer but Judd Apatow has been hit and miss for me throughout his career. This was a simple movie, not changing to much about the Rom-Com formula, but it did evertything so well. It was hillarious, and Amy Schumer and Bill Hader had great chemistry. John Cena has some of the films best scenes, believe it or not, and even Lebron James was good. Definatley worth checking out.

PAPER TOWNS - 6.5/10 - Another adaptation of a John Greene novel. Not as good as Fault in Our stars. Okay performances from the leads, but the chemistry wasnt really there at all. Decent movie, but ultimatley forgettable.

SOUTHPAW - 5/10 - Wasnt a fan. It was a typical boxing movie, going through all the same motions as everything that came before it. A good performance from Jake Gyllenhall but that wasnt enough to save this for me.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: ROUGE NATION - 8/10 - Another good installment in the series. Some really awesome action sequences and an overall fun time. Worth watching in the theathers.

VACATION - 2/10 - An insult to the Chevy Chase classic. One scene made me laugh in the entire hour and a half runtime. Not a single likeable character to be found in this movie and the forced Chevy Chase/Beverley Deangalo camel scene is cringeworthy. Stay far away from this.

So thats it so far. August up now. Stay tuned for those reviews.

Last edited by JDD on Aug 05, '15, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 78

Re: My Summer Movies Ratings So Far

Postby GNR » Aug 04, '15, 8:20 pm

Awesome post man, totally agree with you about Dope, I was very pleasantly surprised by that movie.

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 18

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 05, '15, 9:51 am

JDD wrote:TERMINATOR GENISYS - 4/10 - Borning, bland, poorly acted and poorly written movie that is so bad its hard to believe its in the same series that gave us two of the best films of all time. I rank this even lower than Salvation. The Arnold vs Arnold foght was the only entertaining thing here. Also, i hope Jai Courtney stops getting cast in big roles soon. Ive never seen him in anything ive liked.

Yeah, the Arnold v Arnold fight was fun but too short sadly. Other than that, I probably enjoyed the film more than T3/Salvation despite the plotholes and fuckery they've done to the story since T2. I didn't find Jai Courteney that awful but the Sarah Connor casting didn't work out, looks about 16!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Hanley! » Aug 05, '15, 11:35 am

Nice post, man. I've seen a whole bunch of movies this summer too, but somehow the movies I've watched don't cross over with yours that much. But on the films you mentioned that I have watched, I think your ratings are pretty spot on. And I'd probably share the same views on a lot of the other ones too, had I watched them.

I'm interested in seeing Dope now, I might have to look into that at some point soon.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby JDD » Aug 05, '15, 12:45 pm

Edited with my thoughts on Inside Out. Cant believe i forgot that one.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topic Author
Topics: 78

Return to Movies and TV