It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 2:50 pm

I was quite surprised with Ant-Man

Talk about movies and television in here!

I was quite surprised with Ant-Man

Postby Matteo » Jul 18, '15, 10:17 pm

I went in with very low expectations, predicting another insipid work which would be shamelessly derivative of superior products, but it actually forms its own identity and manages to hit all the right notes throughout. Attaining an adequate balance between comedy, action and drama is difficult when your film is so soundly financed and has such a large target audience, but it honestly did not appear to be a problem here. The film engenders a real cogent atmosphere, never really spawning a dull moment or having any major storytelling flaws. Thankfully, it wasn't too long, either. I would not say it is a great film, but it is fun and it is enjoyable, especially if you see it in a crowded theatre.

I can count the amount of comic book films I genuinely like on one hand, and this is one of them.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 195

Re: I was quite surprised with Ant-Man

Postby War Daddy » Jul 18, '15, 10:28 pm

This is what I like to hear. We have a LARGE comic fanbase here, and they're all raving over it.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 122

Postby Circled Square » Jul 18, '15, 10:28 pm

Matteo could sell me anything tbh.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Viazon » Jul 19, '15, 3:09 am

I have been saying for a long time that I bet Ant-Man will surprise everyone. Going to see it next weekend and I can't wait.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 19, '15, 4:36 am

Ain't read anything in this thread, just came in to say I'm seeing this movie on Tuesday and I'm pretty excited for it! I've been enjoying everything Marvel put out recently and it seems even folk who're normally down on the MCU have enjoyed this so expectations are high!

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Headlesspete » Jul 24, '15, 1:59 pm

I really didn't care all that much for it... :/

I dunno, i found it a little bland to be honest. The back story and characters history seemed to be explained in a very forced and heavy handed way.

"This is character A, he's important"
"This is an important event, remember this"
"This happened long ago, its sad, so be sad"

Its definitely one of those films where the trailer kinda gives away the best bits, so its my own fault really. Its by no means a bad film, certainly worth a watch, but i would't put it on the level of Thor, Iron Man or Captain America.

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 61

Postby Hanley! » Jul 24, '15, 6:16 pm

I'm just finding it harder and harder to get excited about these, because they all follow mostly the same formula. Most of the Marvel films I've seen have been pretty good, but nothing too special. But by now it just feels like they're repeating themselves. Based on the trailer, this looks like another film where the hero gets a suit, and a spurned associate gets a different (better?) version of the suit, and then they fight.

I probably would have been more intrigued to see it if Edgar Wright had remained attached to the project up until completion.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Headlesspete » Jul 25, '15, 2:11 pm

Hanley! wrote:I'm just finding it harder and harder to get excited about these, because they all follow mostly the same formula. Most of the Marvel films I've seen have been pretty good, but nothing too special. But by now it just feels like they're repeating themselves. Based on the trailer, this looks like another film where the hero gets a suit, and a spurned associate gets a different (better?) version of the suit, and then they fight.

I probably would have been more intrigued to see it if Edgar Wright had remained attached to the project up until completion.

Spot on. :lol

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 61

Postby Locke » Jul 25, '15, 10:35 pm

Headlesspete wrote:
Hanley! wrote:I'm just finding it harder and harder to get excited about these, because they all follow mostly the same formula. Most of the Marvel films I've seen have been pretty good, but nothing too special. But by now it just feels like they're repeating themselves. Based on the trailer, this looks like another film where the hero gets a suit, and a spurned associate gets a different (better?) version of the suit, and then they fight.

Spot on. :lol

Nailed most comics in general.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Return to Movies and TV