It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 8:34 am

Game of Thrones Season 5 spoiler chat

Talk about movies and television in here!

Re: Game of Thrones Season 5 spoiler chat

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 01, '15, 12:40 pm

Everlong wrote:Does that mean that Valyrian Steel is able to take on the Others, or is it Jon himself who has the ability? If so, it pretty much confirms he's one of the three dragon heads.

Jon picked a random sword up and it got shattered, it was Longclaw that managed to fuck up the Other. It's all about that Valyrian Steel.

This episode was indeed cool as fuck, it's the high point of the season so far and stands toe to toe with some of the better episodes of the series as a whole. There was some great build for Cersei's walk, Sansa learning about Bran and Rickon's survival is pretty huge, the stuff with Tyrion and Dany was fun and didn't go the way I was worried it might go, Jorah was discarded again which still allows the possibility for him to experience the other side of slavery which is pretty important to his character.

I did get a little miffed at the unexplained change of Cat of the Canals to... Lana of the Canals was it? :lol Not too important but the it was good regardless. I did definitely feel a nod about Jon "coming back" from Sams line, it's pretty much locked in at this stage. The entire part with Hardhome was badass as can be, I'm hyped to the max for the last couple of episodes.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby prophet » Jun 01, '15, 5:31 pm

Gaaaaaaah that last 20 minutes was phenomenally heart stopping, I loved it. I've really enjoyed Kit Harrington this season, he's finally growing into the role only 5 seasons in wouldn't you say @Hanley!?

Is it a lock that Olly will be the one to fuck Jon up in the finale? For the longest time I kept assuming it would be Alliser Thorne but now with the way they're forcing us to see that he's unhappy with the decision to recruit the Wildlings I can't help but think he'll have a major part to play.

Emilia Clarke is gorgeous but she's still distinctly average as Dany, her delivery never changes and she's got about a handful of expressions that she'll use and that's a wrap. I always felt Harrington had the same problem but he's won me round this season, Clarke has yet to do the same though I'm hopeful now Tyrion is around. Jorah experiencing slavery further is something I mentioned earlier so I'm glad he's gone back in that direction.

That episode was the first time in the entire series I've actually looked forward to seeing Bran, which is a monumental feat in itself! Can't wait for him to show up next season now.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby UTK » Jun 01, '15, 6:09 pm

I don't know what the show will do, but I think the Hardhome battle makes Jon's assassination less plausible. In the books, when the Ides of Marsh happen, the only (living) brother to have seen or confronted an Other was Sam. The threat of the White Walkers was less pressing. Now that so many brothers and wildlings are coming back to the Wall to report on how fucking insane their battle against undead ice monsters was, I feel like the Night's Watch are more likely to rally behind Jon, as opposed to wanting him out of power.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59

Postby Everlong » Jun 01, '15, 9:18 pm

UTK wrote:but I think the Hardhome battle makes Jon's assassination less plausible. In the books, when the Ides of Marsh happen, the only (living) brother to have seen or confronted an Other was Sam.

THat's why it seems likely they're making it Olly to do it cus he's a little bitch and can't get over the Wildling business :P

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby SortaCreative » Jun 02, '15, 7:19 am

To be honest, after such a scene, the Nights Watch turning on Jon is utterly stupid.

In the books, the threat is not as immediate and severe. There is no man on man stare down on the go home show before a PPV between Jon and the Nights King. It's much more politically driven, it's much more believable. It's already daft that they don't pay attention to the accounts of what might or might not have happened at Hardhome.

But in the context of the show. What the fuck, Jon, Edd and the rest of the Night's Watch brothers and Wildlings are going to come back and say: HOLY SHIT. HE'S REAL, HE'S COMING. WE'RE ALL FUCKED. And what... Allser Throne is going to be like, you BASTARD, these are wildlin whores. It's dumb. The entire scene was a wake up call for everyone and everything in the show. It's utterly retarded that members of the watch would listen to that account of what happened and then turn on him?

Or are we expected to believe that Olly is doing it all alone?!

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54

Postby Everlong » Jun 02, '15, 7:40 am

SortaCreative wrote:Or are we expected to believe that Olly is doing it all alone?!

Wouldn't surprise me, honestly.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Hanley! » Jun 02, '15, 4:30 pm

I still don't think Harrington is great, but Jon's story is so much better this season. That really makes a difference. He's interacting with more interesting characters and he has more to do. It still bugs me that he looks like a sad puppy 99% of the time, but I've been enjoying the stuff at the Wall more than most other things this season, so I'd call that a win.

Dany is still terrible. I thought Tyrion would lift her story, and there's a good chance that he will. But their scene together showed me that he's unlikely to make her a more interesting character, and he definitely won't make her a better actor. I thought her dialogue was cringe worthy in this episode. She's still the most wooden performer on the show and given the quality on display elsewhere in Game of Thrones it kinda boggles my mind that she managed to land such a major role.

The battle was awesome this week. The white walkers are really terrifying. I like that the show has finally made it seem like winter is indeed coming. There has never been this sense of urgency about the coming winter before. It really feels like the army of the dead are near the Wall now and it won't be long until they come to wreck shit.

I'm not sure if it won't make sense for Jon to get killed by the Night's Watch. Particularly given they're hinting strongly that Olly is going to do it and he might not even have help. But along with that, how many of the people who were fighting the dead/the white walkers actually made it out alive? Was it just one boat? And if some of those are wildlings, it'll be easy for those back at the Wall to simply not believe this small group.

What I find interesting (and I haven't really seen it mentioned elsewhere online), is in the book Jon inviting the wildlings through the gate wasn't the last straw. The wildlings were actually invited in earlier in the timeline. It was Jon breaking his vows and choosing to march on Ramsay Bolton in Winterfell that pushed some of the members of the Watch over the edge. I'm curious if that's how it's going to play out this season, or if it's just going to be the wildling thing.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby SKS » Jun 02, '15, 7:18 pm

Here I was thinking this would be a television show only spoilers thread. :crybaby

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 02, '15, 7:24 pm

^ I did wonder if the title was a little ambiguous, think specifying "Season 5" made it sound that way somewhat. @prophet You maybe wanna edit the title so it's clearer?

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby SKS » Jun 02, '15, 7:32 pm

It's cool, I had already spoiled the Jon Snow stuff for me beforehand. I should have expected book spoilers. But it'd be easier if we could use spoiler tags for the books since some (like me) only watch the show. :cheers2

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Hanley! » Jun 03, '15, 2:03 am

Another forum I'm on has a thread allowing book discussion, and another forbidding it. Might be worth doing here too.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby UTK » Jun 03, '15, 8:47 am

Hanley! wrote:What I find interesting (and I haven't really seen it mentioned elsewhere online), is in the book Jon inviting the wildlings through the gate wasn't the last straw. The wildlings were actually invited in earlier in the timeline. It was Jon breaking his vows and choosing to march on Ramsay Bolton in Winterfell that pushed some of the members of the Watch over the edge. I'm curious if that's how it's going to play out this season, or if it's just going to be the wildling thing.

I think it would make more sense if this happened, considering how imminent the threat of the Others is. Just replace fArya with Sansa.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59

Postby SKS » Jun 03, '15, 8:54 am

I was reading that most of the show storylines are caught up with the last book, can someone elaborate on that without any future spoilers? I also read that next season will be ahead of the last book, and based on Martin's plot lines for the final two books.

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 03, '15, 9:07 am

SKS wrote:I was reading that most of the show storylines are caught up with the last book, can someone elaborate on that without any future spoilers? I also read that next season will be ahead of the last book, and based on Martin's plot lines for the final two books.

@SKS

It's quite possible but not guaranteed that the next book comes out before Season 6, so there is a chance we'll get to read it before the show goes fully into unknown territory.

Right now Arya, Cersei and Jon are a few chapters behind where we last saw them.

Tyrion hasn't met Daenerys in the book yet so they are ahead in that respect but there is also a major event coming for her that was in the book.

Bran is fully caught up to his book storyline and that's why he is not in this season. Sansa is also caught up but they are now using her in place of her friend Jeyne Poole (in the guise of "Arya Stark" who nobody could find) in marrying Ramsay.

Stannis is roughly where we last saw him though there is one development still to come. Davos was away doing other things at this point but he went with Stannis in the show. Not sure if that means it's being dropped or if it happens at a later time.

Jaime and Brienne are doing different things than they were in the books but it seems that at least for Brienne they are doing those stories next season, so they're not ahead they're just stalling I guess.

Theon's sister Asha (Yara in the show) and the rest of the Iron Islanders have some very significant events going down at this point that they have put off until next season so they are very behind in that respect.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Kirbi » Jun 03, '15, 2:17 pm

So when Ramsay and his 20 head for Stannis do we think that Brienne and Pod see?

And if so, will they mount a rescue while there's fewer guards, or follow to see what way the land lies? (If so, does Brienne reach Stannis? this would be... eventful.)

I definitely think that they should make a move soon, anyway.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby SortaCreative » Jun 03, '15, 7:45 pm

Kirbi wrote:So when Ramsay and his 20 head for Stannis do we think that Brienne and Pod see?

And if so, will they mount a rescue while there's fewer guards, or follow to see what way the land lies? (If so, does Brienne reach Stannis? this would be... eventful.)

I definitely think that they should make a move soon, anyway.

There's a lot of potential stuff that could happen.

Ramsay could run into Stannis and die.
Ramsay could run into Stannis and kill him.
Ramsay could run into Stannis and kill him. This would lead to Mel burning Shireen to resurrect her King and the Lights Champion.
Ramsay could run into Stannis and kill him. This would lead to Mel burning Shireen to resurrect her King and the Lights Champion. But unfortunately, Stannis doesn't rise but Jon Snow does.
Ramsay could run into Shireen and kidnap her.
Ramsay could run into Shireen and kidnap her. Allowing Brienne to follow and rescue the princess.
Ramsay could lead Brienne to Stannis' camp.
Ramsay could lead Brienne to Stannis' camp. Allowing Brienne to kill Stannis.
Ramsay could lead Brienne to Stannis' camp. Allowing Brienne to plan with Stannis and go save Sansa.

Or nothing of the sort could happen and i've just spent 15mins doing nothing :lol

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Everlong » Jun 03, '15, 8:25 pm

SortaCreative wrote:Ramsay could run into Stannis and kill him. This would lead to Mel burning Shireen to resurrect her King and the Lights Champion. But unfortunately, Stannis doesn't rise but Jon Snow does.

This is actually a really intriguing possibility, one I hadn't considered before. I like it.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby SortaCreative » Jun 04, '15, 7:39 am

Everlong wrote:
SortaCreative wrote:Ramsay could run into Stannis and kill him. This would lead to Mel burning Shireen to resurrect her King and the Lights Champion. But unfortunately, Stannis doesn't rise but Jon Snow does.

This is actually a really intriguing possibility, one I hadn't considered before. I like it.

I don't. It involves Stannis dying. :lol

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Everlong » Jun 04, '15, 7:40 am

Haha yeah but I'd be shocked if Mannis survives the series anyway. He's gonna have to die for Jon to take the Iron Throne.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby SortaCreative » Jun 04, '15, 8:52 am

Everlong wrote:Haha yeah but I'd be shocked if Mannis survives the series anyway. He's gonna have to die for Jon to take the Iron Throne.

Or he could live and take the throne since he's the rightful heir.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV