It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 10:59 am

Game of Thrones Season 5 spoiler chat

Talk about movies and television in here!

Re: Game of Thrones Season 5 spoiler chat

Postby prophet » Jun 14, '15, 8:27 pm

Everlong wrote:God, this episode was fucking brutal.

Gonna have to process it for a bit before giving my full thoughts. But jesus.

Also, prophet, do you have to give us rep now? :P

Hahaha I guess so, my heart was so racing during he credits holding out hope it would happen but alas, my foolish young mind has finally derailed itself from the Stoneheart hype train.

Jon's death was pretty heartbreaking even though we all knew it was coming. I'm excited to see how he'll return but I hated watching my boy Jon die like that, more so because it only brought up the exact same feelings I had when I first read the book cliffhanger...I wish GRRM would hurry his fat ass up! :lol

RIP Mannis. Another casualty that was inevitable really but after last week I couldn't care less, sacrificing Shireen was fucking stupid really because it made me lose all love I had for Stannis (especially when they'd done such a good job humanising him this season) so that when his time came I wasn't particularly that moved by it. They should have had Selyse sacrifice Shireen without Stannis' knowledge so that when he loses everything we'll actually still be sympathetic towards him and be devastated when he dies.

There's been quite a few stupid decisions this season that have bothered me a lot and that was one of them. Sansa's rape being portrayed as more of a plot point for Theon was another - pointless choices that I've failed to understand the relevance of.

I'm not sure how I feel about this season. I'll try to do a recap as soon as possible.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Everlong » Jun 14, '15, 8:33 pm

Yeah, after tonight it's clear Sansa's rape was just to progress Theon's character which is really, really fucking stupid.

Also the pacing with some of these storylines has been absolutely awful. Stannis's downfall basically came out of nowhere these last couple episodes.

Some great scenes tonight, some weird decisions too. Really sums up the season though.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby UTK » Jun 14, '15, 8:57 pm

I love the way they handled the Ides of Marsh. From the "Previously On Game of Thrones" segment, I thought that meant Benjen was coming back. But they tricked me just like they tricked Jon. :( When they did that long shot of his dead body, I thought maybe his eyes would roll back, showing that he warged into Ghost upon his death. But they haven't really shown him warging in the show, so my bet is that Mel brings him back to life. I mean, what other reason would there be for having her at the Wall?

I also enjoyed Cersei's walk. It was shot well and went down exactly how I imagined it when I read it. Also, Robert Strong got me pretty hype (All aboard the hype train. Next stop: Cleganebowl.)

As for Dorne...what the fuck? The Dorne storyline was awful and felt pointless. In the books, Doran seems like a pussy, but in actuality he is a total badass who has more than a few things up his sleeve in regard to vengeance. In the show, Doran is a pussy. So Oberyn's girl killed Myrcella. Now what? Are they going to go to war with Dorne? Since Doran is just a crippled pussy, what's going to happen? I kind of wish they didn't introduce that storyline at all.

Then we have the Battle of Ice, the most anti-climatic battle in TV history. But my problem isn't just with the battle, it's how the show handled Stannis in general; fucking terribly. The writers made it obvious they didn't like or care about Stannis, and just wanted his plot out of the way, and did it in the worst and cheapest way possible. It was very strange how they made sure that Stannis was unlikable for the majority of the series (not hated, but not well-liked), then decided at the beginning of the fifth season to make him awesome....then decided to make him the worst person ever by the end of the season. I mean, what the hell? Why didn't they just keep portraying him as cold and miserable, so that we would be okay with him losing and Brienne killing him. That is why they had him burn Shireen, right? To make sure people hated him enough to root for Brienne when they encountered one another? Then why in the fuck did they try so hard to make him likable earlier in the season? Well, regardless, that "battle" was pitiful, and he didn't even get a proper death scene. So fuck the showrunners for ruining Stannis' character this season.

Over to Braavos. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in AFFC, wasn't Arya's blindness a promotion of sorts? She killed her first man (the correct one, anyway) so they blinded her? So why was she blinded for killing Trant? Shouldn't they kick her out, not continue to train her? Well, either way, the scene where she killed Trant was badass as hell.

Mereen? Nothing to say, really. It was fine.

But yeah. Fuck the show for butchering Stannis' character.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59

Postby Everlong » Jun 15, '15, 7:55 am

^No, I think her blindness was a punishment. They made her drink "warm milk" as a punishment and Arya's like "lol ok" but then she goes blind.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby prophet » Jun 15, '15, 8:58 am

Everlong wrote:^No, I think her blindness was a punishment. They made her drink "warm milk" as a punishment and Arya's like "lol ok" but then she goes blind.

Yeah I thought it was a punishment as well. She put on another face without being ready to do so and it blinded her.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Jun 15, '15, 9:34 am

http://novacritic.com/the-good-and-bad- ... -season-5/

My recap of Season 5, for all those interested.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby SortaCreative » Jun 15, '15, 10:29 am

I feel hollow. I don't think I care enough to keep watching.

Same thing happened with The Walking Dead.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54

Postby prophet » Jun 16, '15, 10:15 am

Question: Are we sure Stannis is dead?

It was rather unusual (albeit deliberate) of them to cut away without showing us the actual killing blow and with Brienne being one of the only characters of honor left on the show do we think she'd be happy slaughtering a broken and beaten man whilst he's down and not resisting? I can't even tie it in with the books because the battle hasn't happened yet and Brienne is nowhere near it but I thought the cut away was quite telling.

We all know Sansa and Theon survive, we're all pretty sure Jon will come back and I'm not entirely certain the Mannis is truly gone, thoughts?

Also: BRONN SURVIVED THE ENTIRE SEASON :moocow :moocow :moocow :moocow

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby UTK » Jul 16, '15, 8:38 pm

This season was nominated for 24 Emmy awards...which makes me uncomfortable, given the dip in quality.

The major nominations:
Outstanding Drama
Outstanding Supporting Actress: Lena Headey
Outstanding Supporting Actress: Emilia Clarke
Outstanding Supporting Actor: Peter Dinklage
Outstanding Guest Actress: Diana Rigg
Outstanding Directing: Jeremy Podeswa - Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
Outstanding Directing: David Nutter - Mother's Mercy
Outstanding Writing: D&D - Mother's Mercy

Now this is the part where I ask if that directing nomination for Podeswa is a joke or not; is that directing nomination for Podeswa a joke? Seriously. That episode was by far the worst of the season if not the series. If any episode deserved a nomination it should have been "Hardhome." God, what the fuck is the academy thinking? Are they being bribed? I also disagree with Clarke being nominated over Maisie Williams and the finale being nominated for Outstanding Writing, but I really am annoyed by that horrid episode being nominated for anything.

UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Hanley! » Jul 16, '15, 8:46 pm

Forget about Clarke being nominated over Williams; her being nominated over any other actress on television is a bit ridiculous. She's actually terrible at the role. There are several other cast members on Game of Thrones that deserved the nomination more than her, and several other cast members on most other shows too. She sucks. Who the fuck thinks she deserves a reward for her acting abilities?

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Locke » Jul 16, '15, 9:04 pm

I've said the awards were sockcucking bullshit for years now, but everyone still sticks their noses up the ceremony's ass. Now that we are seeing someone like Clarke up there, even though she's more wooden than a 2x4, maybe folks will begin to open their eyes.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby SortaCreative » Jul 17, '15, 5:00 am

Locke wrote:I've said the awards were sockcucking bullshit for years now, but everyone still sticks their noses up the ceremony's ass. Now that we are seeing someone like Clarke up there, even though she's more wooden than a 2x4, maybe folks will begin to open their eyes.

No need to be smug about it.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54

Postby Locke » Jul 17, '15, 12:30 pm

Smuglyfe

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby prophet » Jul 19, '15, 1:46 pm

I only hope that they make it up to Dinklage after not giving him the Emmy last year despite that season-stealing trial scene. Headey might've had a better chance if she hadn't used a body double for the walk of shame (although I don't agree with the 'backlash' she had for that, who gives a fuck if it wasn't her body, it was still a powerful scene). Clarke though? I actually like her as Dany (the character's story is terrible on the whole tbh) but yeah, not a chance should she be nominated.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Jul 19, '15, 1:51 pm

Clarke is the worst. I really can't think of a worse performance I've seen in a show this year.

I didn't realise Headey was getting any flack for not doing the nude scene herself. To be honest, I was thrilled when I heard it wasn't her. I have no problems with actors choosing to go nude for a project at all. If they're comfortable with it and think it'll improve the performance, then why the hell not? But on the other hand, HBO is terrible when it comes to extreme gratuitous nudity, and I felt like Headey was almost too good an actress to just be another naked woman on Game of Thrones.

Back when Clarke was willing to show her boobs, it was probably the most she had to contribute to the role. But Headey is actually awesome as Cersei (who is also one of the most compelling characters on the show). If she doesn't want to get naked then she shouldn't have to.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby UTK » Jul 19, '15, 3:54 pm

prophet wrote:I only hope that they make it up to Dinklage after not giving him the Emmy last year despite that season-stealing trial scene.

Dinklage wasn't all that impressive this year though.

UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby prophet » Jul 19, '15, 4:01 pm

UTK wrote:
prophet wrote:I only hope that they make it up to Dinklage after not giving him the Emmy last year despite that season-stealing trial scene.

Dinklage wasn't all that impressive this year though.

Who cares?

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby EmperorWu » Aug 17, '15, 2:36 am

I know I'm late to the party but I just started watching season 5. I was a bit annoyed by how much they changed. They've always done it, but this season they went off the damn rails. Still I separated it into two different things, so I can still enjoy the show as it's own version of the story. I just wish it hadn't been changed. Some of the things I enjoyed so much are gone, or merged with other characters. I would have liked to see the original story play out on screen. Considering what a huge hit the show has been you would think they'd want to stick as closely to the story as reasonable possible.

Anyway I have enjoyed it so far, there have been a few tearjerker moments, some funny moments, and some bad ass action. Maybe it's me but it really seems like the quality of the dialogue has gone down hill by a bit. I don't know if this has to do with them rewriting the story so much. Some of the characters just don't feel like they would say certain things, or act certain ways. It feels like they've really dumbed it down in certain areas as opposed to having a more subtle read between the lines feel when characters talk to each other. But on the other hand one cool thing they added... I just got done watching Hardhome which is what compelled me to post. Holy shit, what a segment! Also giants, I love those little fellas, I'm glad he didn't die.

Also Grenn looks like Sami Zayn, I never noticed that. Sorry if I just repeated stuff that was already said. It's too late at night for me to read through 6 pages of posts.

Well I have two more episodes to polish off. :tim

And then the wait begins again. :(

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Previous

Return to Movies and TV