It is currently: Jun 03, '24, 10:07 pm

The Bechdel Test

Talk about movies and television in here!

The Bechdel Test

Postby VaderBomb » Nov 06, '13, 10:44 am

http://bechdeltest.com/

Anybody heard of this? Pretty interesting to keep in mind while watching films. Of course the films that pass this test don't mean that they are of higher quality, but it's interesting nonetheless.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Re: The Bechdel Test

Postby Hanley! » Nov 06, '13, 11:46 am

I'm friends with a lot of feminists, so I've very definitely heard about this. It comes up all the time. I do think it's interesting for sure - and is often a good way to tell if a movie is somewhat sexist. However it doesn't always apply on a movie to movie basis - sometimes a film can fail the Bechdel Test without being derogatory or offensive, or making the movie any worse. What's really worrying is the trend it shows: the sheer number of movies that fail the test definitely shows something negative about the industry.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Return to Movies and TV