It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 11:08 pm

Toy Story 4 is Coming!

Talk about movies and television in here!

Toy Story 4 is Coming!

Postby Twister » Nov 06, '14, 5:01 pm

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 56

Re: Toy Story 4 is Coming!

Postby SlightlyJames » Nov 06, '14, 5:08 pm

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. It was easy to see coming with the way they've been keeping it alive with shorts and that kind of thing, another full blown movie though? I'm not sure it's a film that needs to be made but it had better be a damn good one.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby Hanley! » Nov 06, '14, 5:12 pm

I'm disappointed. The three films had a real arc to them, and the last one seemed like the perfect way to complete the series. In fact, it seemed deliberately designed that way: as an ending. Creating a fourth looks like either a cash grab or Pixar's creativity slowly dying out. Either one is pretty disappointing from a viewer point of view.

I'll likely see it, as I did enjoy all the previous iterations quite a bit. But I wouldn't be surprised if this is where it starts going downhill. You can't keep mining that material forever.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby HFX » Nov 06, '14, 5:17 pm

Can't wait, I love the Toy Story movies. Hopefully this one doesn't make me cry again. Anyone against it obviously hates fun :angrysanta

If y'all ain't seen it I'd recommend you watch Toy Story of Terror. I thought it was a pretty good short movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKGMAOI ... s-usO-3BZD

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby PorkChop » Nov 06, '14, 5:23 pm

But... why? The last one ended so perfectly.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Twister » Nov 06, '14, 5:25 pm

:lol I knew there'd be some pessimistic comments. To be honest I kind of feel the same, this could potentially be Toy Story overkill. But i'm willing to put my faith in Pixar and reserve judgement till I've seen it, till then I'm going to spend the next 3 years hoping it lives up to expectation and looking forward to it.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby HFX » Nov 06, '14, 5:28 pm

Twister wrote::lol I knew there'd be some pessimistic comments.

Pessimism out of the British Isles...well I never :lol

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby Twister » Nov 06, '14, 5:30 pm

HFX wrote:
Twister wrote::lol I knew there'd be some pessimistic comments.

Pessimism out of the British Isles...well I never :lol

I guess some of us have to live up to the stereotype :P

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Nov 06, '14, 5:54 pm

HFX wrote:Can't wait, I love the Toy Story movies. Hopefully this one doesn't make me cry again. Anyone against it obviously hates fun :angrysanta

I like the movies, I just think it's better to end on a high note than run them into the ground. The high concept of Toy Story is what made it interesting and they've kinda explored everything there already, and they've already completed the classic three part story. What do you do with it now? Just start the whole structure over but with a new kid? It's hard to imagine new Toy Story films being as good as the old ones. Or at best, they'll just be retreads of the old ones - still entertaining, but impossible to enjoy as much because we've seen it all before.

The really disappointing thing though isn't that there's a new Toy Story being made, it's that Pixar isn't using that time to make something else. I want to see new high concepts that will wow me the way Toy Story did when it was first released. But it seems Pixar are slowing down creatively, with films like Cars 2, Monsters University and the incoming Finding Dory (why?). I want them to keep bringing out more new interesting ideas, because they had an incredible run there for a while.

I don't mind the shorts though. I think that's a fun tribute to their most popular franchise. I'd just prefer if they concentrated on something else when it comes to their movies.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » Nov 07, '14, 8:00 am

This is all the beginning.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby PorkChop » Nov 08, '14, 10:35 am

^ oh god, ugh.

I wish Pixar would create something new rather than just exploit legendary series like Toy Story over and over again. Toy Story 3 crowned the series so perfectly. There's no need for any more, no matter how good it was.

It's like when people beg guys like Shawn Michaels for one more match. Yes, he was fun to watch. But his career ended perfectly. If he ever came back it would take away from that moment, like when Ric Flair had the perfect goodbye at WrestleMania 24 and then turned up in TNA shortly after, or when shows like Scrubs have incredible finales yet they decided to make another season anyway. People shouldn't fuck with legacies, especially ones which ended so perfectly. Accept it and move on. Be grateful that you witnessed something incredible come to a perfect end. Don't beg for it to come back, because it won't ever be as good as you remember it.

Toy Story 3 was the perfect goodbye for an incredible and beloved saga. Anything produced after this is just a saddening and unnecessary exploitation.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby JDD » Nov 08, '14, 10:44 am

^ both Inside Out and The Good Dinasour are new Pixar films coming out within the next two years, so Pixar is doing new things. I see no problem with sequels when they're also coming out with new movies.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby Hanley! » Nov 08, '14, 12:19 pm

JDD wrote:^ both Inside Out and The Good Dinasour are new Pixar films coming out within the next two years, so Pixar is doing new things. I see no problem with sequels when they're also coming out with new movies.

Yeah, but it's not like Toy Story 4 isn't a drain on resources either way. That's another new film they could have been making, that I for one would have been more interested in.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Nov 08, '14, 4:22 pm

I wish I could say I was excited about this, but it just seems like an obvious cash grab to me after Toy Story 3 wrapped up the franchise so perfectly. Pixar is better than that... or at least, it used to be.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Nov 08, '14, 4:47 pm

The sad thing about it is that after having an absolutely immense run of great films, the last time Pixar came out with a new concept that really wowed me was with Up. That's five years ago now. It doesn't seem like too long, but consider the films they brought out the five years before that: The Incredibles, Ratatouille and Wall-E. The creativity of the company definitely appears to be declining.

Although the good news is that Disney Animated Studios have come out of hibernation and have been delivering some top notch animated films in the mean time. Tangled, Frozen and Wreck It Ralph were all amazing. Even Dreamworks are bringing out some great stuff - How to Train Your Dragon 2 was much better than I expected. Pixar aren't firing on all cylinders at the moment, but at least there are others that are.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Kreashko » Jun 26, '16, 8:00 am

How am I just learning about this now? :o

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Return to Movies and TV