It is currently: Apr 18, '24, 5:49 am

Twin Peaks Revival to air on Showtime in 2015

Talk about movies and television in here!

Twin Peaks Revival to air on Showtime in 2015

Postby xgamr » Oct 06, '14, 10:17 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/0 ... 39736.html

"Twin Peaks" is back! After rumors and teasing, Showtime announced that the cult classic will return in 2016 for nine new episodes. The network released a cryptic "special 'TWIN PEAKS' announcement" on YouTube to confirm the news. The airing of new "Twin Peaks" episodes will coincide with the 25th anniversary of the show's two-year run on ABC.

Showtime said in a statement that co-creators David Lynch and Mark Frost will write all of the episodes and Lynch will direct every episode. Per Showtime, "'Twin Peaks' will continue the lore of the original series, providing long-awaited answers for the series' passionate fan base." Rumors also claim that Kyle McLachlan will be back to reprise his role as FBI Agent Dale Cooper, but Showtime has yet to confirm or deny any casting news to HuffPost Entertainment.

“The mysterious and special world of 'Twin Peaks' is pulling us back. We’re very excited. May the forest be with you," Lynch and Frost said in a joint statement. Showtime will also re-air the first two seasons of the show in advance of new episodes.

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 21

Re: Twin Peaks Revival to air on Showtime in 2015

Postby Kirbi » Oct 06, '14, 1:09 pm

Fingers crossed for the ending we all deserve! :D

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 11

Postby Matteo » Oct 07, '14, 4:07 am

I'm absolutely ecstatic for this. The prospects of Lynch (arguably my favourite filmmaker) directing again looked slim only this time yesterday. Asserting that he is through with 35mm was a blow after the release of the highly hypnotic Inland Empire, but this is truly fantastic news. The fact he'll be directing all nine episodes is marvellous, too, since he only directed around 7 or 8 episodes during the first two seasons (and those that he did direct were simply stunning). Surrealism and eccentricity tie in seamlessly with Twin Peaks, so I'm hoping Showtime won't try and coerce Lynch to make this a bit more accessible for the everyday folk. HBO are generally excellent when it comes to maximising artistic creativity for their respective screenwriters and directors, so I am hoping it is the same here. I'm sure it will be, though, since Lynch really cares for the work and probably wouldn't have agreed to it otherwise. He's been down that road with the disastrous Dune.

I'm just happy that Lynch is back directing, to be honest. I liked the ambiguous conclusions of both the series and the film (the latter being an absolute masterwork, by the way), but any opportunity to dive back into the wonderful, odd, offbeat, dark, sinister, cherry pie, black coffee, donut-eating universe of Twin Peaks is a treat. Hopefully the return of the series will be a commercial and critical success that could give Lynch some new potential avenues for funding any future projects he may have in mind.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

Postby Kirbi » Oct 08, '14, 3:40 pm

My main problem wasn't with the whole Cooper-possession thing; I just think the show generally declined toward the end.

In happier discussions though, what characters do they absolutely need back?

Cooper, obviously. After that I think you really need MIKE, the Man From Another Place, Sheriff Truman, and Laura Palmer... obviously I would've liked to see Killer Bob also, but that is sadly impossible.

I'd really like to see a lot of the other characters back too, I just think that if there's enough of the group it mightn't matter too much if a few are missing - I think the above characters are big ones though.

It might be difficult to get some of them back - Al Strobel (MIKE) has been retired for almost a decade.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby Matteo » Oct 09, '14, 5:49 am

The show was on a progressive decline towards the end, I agree, but the last two episodes were remarkable television, in my opinion. Lynch poured his artistic soul into the conclusion and did his best to try and ameliorate all of the existing problems that began to emerge after episode 15 or 16.

Have you seen Fire Walk with Me? Much darker, of course, but it's up there as one of my very favourite works. Lynch released some deleted scenes earlier this year in a beautifully restored 4K print, and it definitely made the film feel more complete in aspects.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

Postby Kirbi » Oct 09, '14, 2:56 pm

^^^

Oh yes, I enjoyed the movie too. It is a lot darker, but it was always going to be.

I think the way it presented the darkness was kind of special. There were moments of true horror in there (much better horror than in most horror films I've seen); and the horror came from both sides, so to speak - i.e. both 'reality'- and fantasy-based.

I hadn't seen the show all the way through when I watched the movie for the first time - it was on late at night when I was a teenager, and I didn't always stay up for it. So, the first time I saw the film I wasn't entirely sure what was going on; which was actually really great for seeing things from Laura's point of view a bit more. It was the good kind of confusing (only confusing at first, of course).

When I bought and watched the whole show years later, and saw the movie again, it was great in a different kind of way. It was still a messy little slice of life, but it made a lot of things clear at the same time, and it was great to have the opportunity to see Laura interact with the other characters properly.

The only major thing I'd change about it is Donna's recasting. I know they had to, but it was quite jarring.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Return to Movies and TV