It is currently: May 09, '24, 7:25 pm

TV side-characters who moved up the ranks dramatically.

Talk about movies and television in here!

TV side-characters who moved up the ranks dramatically.

Postby Kirbi » Sep 26, '14, 2:42 pm

Maybe it's weird of me, but I really like it when a TV show's able to realise the good things that happened to it by chance, and to capitalise on them. After all, what would Breaking Bad have been like, if Gilligan had stuck with his original plan to kill of Jesse at the end of the first season?

There's a few more dramatic examples of actors moving up the cast list, though - at least Aaron Paul was always supposed to be main cast, right? So, here are a couple of fun examples of TV producers making the most of it when they inexplicably strike acting gold.

Jason Dohring - Veronica Mars

As a pretty big Veronica Mars fan, I know the weird way Jason Dohring wound up as the romantic lead of the show (Logan Echolls).

Dohring was originally cast as the random douche/troublemaker/psycho best friend of the intended main love interest, Duncan Kane. He wasn't even supposed to be main cast, but more of a recurring spanner in the works for our dear heroine.

After the pilot was shot though, he'd already impressed enough that he was main cast from the start. As the first season progressed, he got more and more screen-time, and eventually became a proper love interest for Veronica.

By mid-way through the second season, he was clearly tied for secondary lead with the character of Veronica's dad, Keith Mars.

Cut to this year, and he was the obvious and only choice for second lead in the fan-funded movie. He hasn't been a massive success otherwise, but he was just right for that show.

Colm Meaney - Star Trek TNG/DS9

They'd take away my nerd-card if I didn't mention Mr. Meaney here. Colm Meaney appeared as Chief Miles O'Brien in both Star Trek: The Next Generation, and Deep Space Nine. He is the only performer to appear in both the pilot and the finale of each show.

The weird thing? In the pilot of TNG he didn't even have any lines - if the camera hadn't lingered on him briefly, he would've officially been an extra. But they kept putting him in.

People got curious about this guy who was always in the transporter room - I guess he had an interesting face. Eventually, he had lines and even a name for his character! He became a recurring side-character for TNG, plots and all.

When they were starting another series (DS9), the producers were happy to take one of the obvious choice characters to be a regular - this way TNG didn't lose any regulars of its own to a show that might not succeed, and Meaney got a slot as a regular on a network TV show making a full 24 episodes a year - a win-win.

In DS9, Meaney really got the chance to shine as a central character - the writers even used his relatablility as a quick route to the heart of the viewers; in fact, they had a slogan for it - O'Brien Must Suffer. He was a major part of the show until the end

And why was he in the final of TNG when he was starring on another show? They got him back especially - you gotta have O'Brien!

TL;DR

I like stories of unexpected actor-ly success! Also, I am a nerd. Basically, this was stories of actors overachieving in their TV roles and getting more screen-time as a result.

So, does anyone else know any stories like this from their favourite shows? (Or even shows with which you have a complicated relationship?)

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 11

Re: TV side-characters who moved up the ranks dramatically.

Postby Viazon » Sep 26, '14, 2:59 pm

Daryl Dixon from the Walking Dead. Was not a character that appeared in the comics and was only a recurring character in the first season. However, he has easily become the most popular character and Norman Reedus now receives second billing in the opening credits, behind only the shows main lead, Andrew Lincoln. He was a bit of a dick in the first season and generally not well liked by the rest of the characters but they have now come to consider him as family and he is a huge part of the show. The reason for this being that the fans really responded well to him. I know he was a bit of a douche in the first season, but you know what people are like with bad guys. They prefer them over the good guys these days.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby Kirbi » Sep 26, '14, 3:07 pm

Oh yeah, I've definitely heard much of the fan-love for Daryll - I only saw the first season of WD, but he did seem like a cool addition.

(In the comics, Glen was my favourite.)

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Sep 26, '14, 3:17 pm

Spike from Buffy is another good one. He was only supposed to be in it for a few episodes in Season 2, bridging the gap until Angelus returned. But James Marsters killer performances won fans and producers over and he was in the show until the very last episode, and even got to be main cast for the last season of Angel afterwards.

He was arguably one of the best characters and biggest badasses in the show's entire run.Though he did progressively become more and more of a sissy, which was disheartening to watch. He was still entertaining because of Marsters delivery, but he was so fucking cool back in Season 2. It's a shame they couldn't hold onto that.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Kirbi » Sep 26, '14, 3:19 pm

Hanley! wrote:Spike from Buffy is another good one. He was only supposed to be in it for a few episodes in Season 2, bridging the gap until Angelus returned. But James Marsters killer performances won fans and producers over and he was in the show until the very last episode, and even got to be main cast for the last season of Angel afterwards.

He was arguably one of the best characters and biggest badasses in the show's entire run.Though he did progressively become more and more of a sissy, which was disheartening to watch. He was still entertaining because of Marsters delivery, but he was so fucking cool back in Season 2. It's a shame they couldn't hold onto that.

I can't believe I forgot about Spike! He was a complete boss when he came in first.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Sep 26, '14, 5:07 pm

Hanley! wrote:Spike from Buffy is another good one. He was only supposed to be in it for a few episodes in Season 2, bridging the gap until Angelus returned. But James Marsters killer performances won fans and producers over and he was in the show until the very last episode, and even got to be main cast for the last season of Angel afterwards.

I concur.

But despite turning him into a bitch he still did well. Not sure why they needed him in love with Buffy though.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Westcoastvibes » Sep 26, '14, 5:28 pm

Pauley Perrette from NCIS.

She originally auditioned for a guest role as a victim for the pilot episode. After seeing her audition, the writer of the show called her and said she did not get the part but they have written a full time part specifically for her into the show.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Kirbi » Sep 27, '14, 5:16 am

Chewy wrote:

I concur.

But despite turning him into a bitch he still did well. Not sure why they needed him in love with Buffy though.

Trying to get his popularity to rub off on her?

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topic Author

Return to Movies and TV