It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 7:55 am

What actors do you think are underrated?

Talk about movies and television in here!

What actors do you think are underrated?

Postby Everlong » Mar 02, '14, 6:45 pm

Steve's going to say Gary Oldman probably, but I think he gets a lot of respect despite his lack of Oscars :P

Here are a few I can think of:

1. Sam Rockwell, has done especially great with villainous roles he's been asked to play but is pretty skilled across the board. Shame he doesn't get more mainstream work.

2. Edward Norton, he's had a few clunkers (what actor hasn't?) but when he's on his game he's remarkably good.

3. Marisa Tomei. She's had a couple Oscar nominations (maybe even one win, can't remember), but nobody ever considers her an A- or even a B-lister. She's never gotten the appreciation she deserves IMO.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: What actors do you think are underrated?

Postby PorkChop » Mar 02, '14, 6:48 pm

Idris Elba.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby Hanley! » Mar 02, '14, 6:55 pm

Well yeah, it depends on who's rating them. Gary Oldman is underrated by the Academy for sure, but I don't think he's underrated in general because a lot of people include him in conversations about great actors. For the same reason, I don't think Edward Norton is underrated by any means. Loads of people count him as their favourite actor and the best of his generation.

I think Anne Hathaway is underrated by many actually. Weirdly she gets plenty of respect by the Academy and at award shows in general, but outside of that I hear a lot of people talking about how they don't like her. I guess I just keep hearing people who think she's overrated and I really don't agree.

More than anything, I think comic actors can be very underrated. Things like the Oscars tend to reward heavy dramatic performances almost exclusively. And I don't think there's any reason why the best performance of a given year can't be something a little lighter sometimes.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Ace » Mar 02, '14, 9:28 pm

-Joseph Gordon Levitt

-Jared Leto

-Hayden Christensen

Ace Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 35
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Kreashko » Jun 26, '16, 9:40 am

Mark Wahlberg. People give him shit but I've enjoyed pretty much all of his films.

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Return to Movies and TV