It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 9:27 pm

Rate the last film that you've watched

Talk about movies and television in here!

Re: Rate the last film that you've watched

Postby UTK » Jun 24, '14, 8:50 am

22 Jump Street - 7/10

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby prophet » Jun 24, '14, 9:01 am

22 Jump Street - 8/10

Loved it, just as funny as the first if not better which is a rarity with sequels.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534

Postby Hanley! » Jun 26, '14, 12:07 pm

X-Men: Days of Future Past

This wasn't as good as people were making out. To be honest, it ended up suffering from all the same problems that I always thought it would. There were too many characters, the future stuff was boring, a lot of the script was messy and contrived. I don't really understand why this has been widely praised and Amazing Spiderman 2 was widely criticized, because I think this script was slightly worse. I was unfortunately forced to watch the film in 3D also and it had probably the worst 3D I've ever seen in a film.

That being said, there were some great moments nonetheless. Peter Dinklage was brilliant in his role, and it is to his credit as an actor that you couldn't see any of Tyrion in this role. McAvoy & Fassbender were also brilliant and a lot of their scenes together were really effective and entertaining. There was a really, really good film inside this film. It's just a shame that they weren't willing to make it. If they had left out Wolverine and the future characters and just made this a film about young Xavier, young Magneto, young Mystique and Peter Dinklage then it could have been amazing. Everything else ended up being superfluous and really didn't add anything.

5/10 or maybe 6/10 from me.

The Fault In Our Stars

I didn't like this quite as much as the book, but the book is a personal favourite of mine so that doesn't come as any real surprise. That being said it was a very good film. It was cast extremely well. Everyone worked well in their role. Shailene Woodley was particularly good as Hazel, it was one of the best performances I've seen this year. The script was good too and the emotional moments hit hard. It wasn't as much of a tear jerker for me as the book was, but it still definitely gave me the feels.

8/10 or 9/10 for this one.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Jun 26, '14, 12:13 pm

Just watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

I liked it quite a bit more than the first Captain movie, and it was definitely one of the two or three strongest Avengers movies so far. It had a much more intricate plot than most of the other movies tend to, and I thought having Black Widow and Nick Fury as featured characters in this one added a lot of intrigue that the first one was kind of lacking. Also, Robert Redford is always a boss.

Probably a solid 7.5/10 from me.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby JDD » Jun 27, '14, 11:45 am

22 Jump Street - 8/10

On par with the first. Phil Lord and Chris Miller can do no wrong. Great comedy.

Transformers 4 - 0/10

Id rather watch that rip off called Transmorphers on Netflix.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby prophet » Jun 30, '14, 7:18 am

Her - 9/10

Finally got around to watching this, beautiful film. Great direction from Jonze, wonderful performance from Pheonix and I was blown away by how great Johansson is despite being limited to a voice-only role. What's even more impressive is just how real the chemistry between Theodore and Samantha felt - is it true Jonze kept Pheonix and Johansson apart from one another during filming?

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534

Postby War Daddy » Jun 30, '14, 7:56 am

300: Rise of an Empire

I did enjoy it but it felt a bit too much like a history channel movie. Still a soild 7.5/10

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Romo » Jul 16, '14, 7:28 am

Transformers.

Explosion clusterfuck, typical Bay movie... horribly cheesy, poor movie would be 0/10 but ill give it 2/10 because the girl playing Wahlberg's daughter is hot as hell

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby Romo » Jul 27, '14, 3:56 pm

Todays/Yesterdays movies have been The Amazing Spiderman 2 & Need For Speed

Spiderman who alright, I didn't like Jamie Foxx playing Electro and I really dislike Andrew Garfield I just think he's a cock and Emma Stone is alright I guess but I find her voice very annoying, it was okay nothing special. 5/10

Need for speed I find really quite good, Aaron Paul's face throughout made me laugh and Imogen Poots is fine as a hell, I enjoyed this more than any fast & furious movie lots of good action and nice looking cars 7/10

Expendables 3 was so so so bad, the worse of the 3 it really was bad I mean the one good part was hearing Arnie scream "GET TO THA CHOPPA", Ronda Rousey looked good, she can't act but she looked good. 3/10

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby UTK » Jul 27, '14, 8:04 pm

Lucy - 1/10. I don't think I can describe how ridiculous this movie is.

UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SKS » Jul 27, '14, 8:19 pm

Getaway - I couldn't finish 20 minutes of it. It's that dumb. Selena Gomez may be the worst actress in the world.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby JDD » Jul 27, '14, 8:24 pm

The Purge: Anarchy - 4/10 or 5/10

Dumb movie. Better than the first one. The idea of these movies are interesting, I just wish they would give it to good writers instead of just making a dumb horror/action movie. It wasnt terrible but i dont plan on watching it again.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby War Daddy » Jul 28, '14, 5:05 am

UTK wrote:Lucy - 1/10. I don't think I can describe how ridiculous this movie is.

Your avatar describes it for me.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby UTK » Aug 11, '14, 3:33 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy - 6/10. An average, enjoyable action film that was disappointing to me because the reviews made it seem way better than it actually was.

UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby steve84 » Aug 15, '14, 8:00 am

Not the last I watched, but always the last I remembered:

Dear Zachary: A Letter To His Son About His Father

Bloody heartbreaking documentary, extremely difficult to watch, but very well done. It is definitely worth watching, but take care, I couldn't sleep the day after watching it. 8/10

steve84 None specified
Mark
Mark

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby Everlong » Aug 16, '14, 4:39 pm

Just saw Guardians of the Galaxy after hearing lots of great reviews. It was better than I was expecting based on previews, but still nothing special.

The writing was average. Predictable plotline, unoriginal jokes, cliches everywhere. The movie opens with an over the top sob story scene to try to get you to emotionally invested, but it winds up being pretty unimportant in the overall scheme of things. The romantic tension between Gomorrah and Starlord seemed kind of unnecessary.

On the positive side, Chris Pratt is a very likable main character, the raccoon wasn't as annoying as expected, the villains were pretty cool and the visual effects were excellent.

All in all, probably a 6.5/10. Not a bad popcorn flick, but largely forgettable and doesn't really add a whole lot to the Marvel/Avengers franchise.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Aug 17, '14, 6:36 am

Everlong wrote:Just saw Guardians of the Galaxy after hearing lots of great reviews. It was better than I was expecting based on previews, but still nothing special.

The writing was average. Predictable plotline, unoriginal jokes, cliches everywhere. The movie opens with an over the top sob story scene to try to get you to emotionally invested, but it winds up being pretty unimportant in the overall scheme of things. The romantic tension between Gomorrah and Starlord seemed kind of unnecessary.

On the positive side, Chris Pratt is a very likable main character, the raccoon wasn't as annoying as expected, the villains were pretty cool and the visual effects were excellent.

All in all, probably a 6.5/10. Not a bad popcorn flick, but largely forgettable and doesn't really add a whole lot to the Marvel/Avengers franchise.

I agree with this for the most part. I saw it on Friday with friends and enjoyed it quite a bit, but one of my friends loved it and has been gushing about it for the last week (this was his second time seeing it) and I don't think it was deserving of that level of praise.

I did like it more than most of the Avengers movies. It might have been my favourite of those even. It was a really fun movie that didn't take itself too seriously, which I appreciate. And the Avengers movies are only really good at being fun popcorn flicks, so it was good that Guardians seemed to be focusing almost entirely on being just that. There were a lot of laugh out loud moments, which the other films in the franchise haven't had.

Also the soundtrack was really cool. And the main characters all worked for me too, Gomorrah aside. The visuals were great too, the action was a lot more fun than in most of these films and the makeup looked really great, again Gomorrah aside.

There were plenty of negatives for me too though. They weren't enough to negate the humour or make it a bad film, but they did dampen my enthusiasm considerably. I agree that the start of the film was unnecessarily "sob story" and didn't lift the film. Much like all the Avengers franchise films, the emotional moments never really hit home.

There were a lot of plot holes and plot contrivances too:

Spoiler:
When Gomorrah tells the others that she was planning on betraying Ronan, neither the group or the audience have any reason to believe her, other than the fact that she's on the poster as one of the good guys.

When Starlord risks his life to save Gomorrah, it doesn't feel earned. He barely knows her at this point, why would he risk everything for someone he doesn't even get along with? There are a lot of out of character moments like this.

Also, the screenwriters kept using metaphors and allowing Drax to understand them. That really bugged me. :lol They got a few good jokes out of him not understanding metaphors, but at a few other moments in the film, he clearly did. The big one was during the big speech Starlord gave when he said they now have a chance to "give a shit". The camera actually turned to Drax who was wearing an expression of solemn understanding, rather than confusion.

There were also characters that didn't work for me. Out of the main group, Gomorrah really let the side down. The sexual tension between her and Starlord seemed pointless and shoehorned in. She had less and less personality as the film went on, quickly transforming from alien badass to token female. And then there were the two dimensional villains. I swear to God, the Avengers franchise has no idea how to make a compelling villain. And it's funny that they're spending all this time building up Thanos when he looks like he's going to be just as two dimensional as any of the others. Probably even worse.

Finally, I think the film suffered from following the Avengers formula too much. I think I preferred this to films like Avengers or Thor 2, but it was hard not to notice that we've seen these beats before. We've seen the ending "Huge group of random aliens invade populated planet because Infinity Stone" thing a couple of times already. Sometimes these films suffer from being too similar to each other.

All in all, I'd probably give it a 6.5 also. Maybe a 7/10 but no more than that. It had more charm and fun to it than most Avengers films, but it suffered from a lot of the same pitfalls as them at the same time.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby JDD » Aug 22, '14, 7:47 pm

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - 6.5/10

Not as good as the first, but still a pretty fun watch. It drags in places and is pretty repetitive, but the awesome visuals and great actions kept me entertained. Worth a watch if you were a fan of the first one.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Postby VaderBomb » Oct 05, '14, 1:04 am

Under the Skin - 8.5/10

Funny Farm - 8/10

Lost in America - 9/10

Don't Mess With My Sister - 8/10

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Postby Matteo » Oct 05, '14, 6:01 am

I'm about to geek out. Watched one of my favourite films with mates last night at the cinemas.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick)

Viewed last night at the theatres in glorious 70mm

Evocative. Hypnotic. Captivating. Enthralling. Immersive. Not many people in their lifetimes will have the opportunity to see Stanley Kubrick's arresting masterwork in 70mm, the way the filmmaker intended it to be seen. The theatre I attended last night is the only one left in Australia that still is capable of projecting 70mm prints. It is - and always has been - increasingly rare, but even moreso now in an era of digital projection and distribution. This specific print of the film was held in high esteem by Keir Dullea (the actor who plays Dave) himself. In fact, he contended that it was the best 70mm print of the film he has personally seen since 1968, the year the film was released.

Words can not articulate my experience. This is film. This is cinema. Very few works in the history of the medium have been shot on 70mm, and those that have are seldom projected in its organic negative format. I had the opportunity to view Kubrick's masterpiece in its full, unabridged, uncompressed, untarnished form. And it was remarkable. It honestly made me appreciate the work on a whole new level (which I thought was impossible). Watching the last half hour of the film, in particular, is something I'll never forget - the sheer level of ambition and artistry on display is almost unparalleled. Kubrick once said a film should be a progression of moods and feelings, and that's exactly what he captures here. The more I think about this film, the more I come to the realisation that it's not supposed to appeal to the intellect as much as it supposed to appeal to our emotions and feelings. Even filmmakers Stanley Kubrick admired like Robert Bresson have echoed similar sentiments. At its core, it's incredibly open and demands very little from its audiences.

Watching this on the big screen took you into space. Into the boundless, immeasurable, abstruse black vastness. Into the storms of dynamic colours and dimensions. Below is the theatre I attended:

Sitting on the top story, positioned right in the middle, there was no better place to sit and simply escape. It was truly a remarkable experience and indescribable on the whole. This is the most universal of all works that I have seen and perhaps shows humanity at its most curious, explorative, and, ultimately, human. Perhaps no work - before or since - has captured the same level of artistic and ambitious scope as Kubrick's feature.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV