It is currently: May 12, '24, 9:03 pm

Rate the last film that you've watched

Talk about movies and television in here!

Re: Rate the last film that you've watched

Postby ShaneOfan » Apr 17, '14, 7:25 am

Tried to watch "A Haunted House" like Romo with "Dred" I made it about 15 minutes. 2/10 because there were boobs and I did laugh once.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 260

Postby Kirbi » Apr 17, '14, 4:09 pm

Steve and I went to the cinema to watch Calvary tonight. For reference, it's this:

It was really good - and so black-humoured as to be instantly recognisable as an Irish film! :D

So, it's about a (catholic) parish priest in a village in the west of Ireland. As the film begins, a man (unseen) enters the confessional, tells the priest that he was abused by another one for years as a child, and that that priest is now dead. He then goes on to say that there's no point making that public, no point in 'killing' a bad priest, but that killing a good priest would be different. He says that he'll kill the protagonist "on sunday week", giving him time to get his affairs in order. And so it begins - and on sunday week, it ends.

It was funny, insightful, non-trite, and I cried at the end. I would recommend.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 11

Postby Hanley! » Apr 17, '14, 4:30 pm

^^ It was a really, really good film. Very powerful, particularly the ending. The film explores the emotions of a good-natured and devoted priest, as he deals with the growing levels of hatred towards the Catholic church - much of which is directed at him. It'd be a particularly interesting watch for anyone who's interested in religion, regardless of whether or not they're actually religious.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby prophet » Apr 27, '14, 3:45 pm

@Hanley!, @Kirbi - that film actually sounds really interesting. What's Brendan Gleeson like in it?

The Help 8/10 - Beautiful, horrible, hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time. Endeared me further towards Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain is delightful and both Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer were fantastic. A terrific film.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Kirbi » Apr 27, '14, 3:52 pm

prophet wrote:@Hanley!, @Kirbi - that film actually sounds really interesting. What's Brendan Gleeson like in it?

The Help 8/10 - Beautiful, horrible, hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time. Endeared me further towards Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain is delightful and both Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer were fantastic. A terrific film.

He is, of course, the best thing in a great movie. :D

I really should see The Help, too - it's on Netflix, and the cast does interest me.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby prophet » Apr 27, '14, 3:56 pm

Kirbi wrote:
prophet wrote:@Hanley!, @Kirbi - that film actually sounds really interesting. What's Brendan Gleeson like in it?

He is, of course, the best thing in a great movie. :D

I really should see The Help, too - it's on Netflix, and the cast does interest me.

Yeah I've just watched it on Netflix. For a film set in the early 60's civil rights era America it glosses over the actual theme of racism too much for it to be anything hard-hitting but that doesn't stop it being a lovely movie.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby drakey » May 01, '14, 2:39 pm

The wolf of wallstreet. 9/10. I really enjoyed it :)

drakey None specified
Mark
Mark

Postby Romo » May 05, '14, 3:46 am

Watched 'Neighbours' this morning ( Zac Efron/ Seth Rogen), was an okay film, there only one section that really made me laugh alot of it was just slight chuckles.... like the chuckles when someone makes a joke you've already heard but you laugh anyway to make them feel good.

6/10

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby Chewy » May 21, '14, 2:03 am

Godzilla.

Pile of shit.

No Heisenberg.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby prophet » May 24, '14, 4:59 pm

X-Men: DOFP - 8/10

Thoroughly enjoyed it as I'm sure all fans of the franchise will. Sure it was far-fetched in places but that's the nature of the beast isn't it? Doesn't take away from the film unless you're going into it hyper-critical. Great acting from the cast (namely the 'young' lot).

One thing I did think the film suffered from is a lack of an out and out villain - sure Bolivar Trask is the 'bad guy' but he's not in as much as you'd like nor does he have any sufficient dialogue to make him stand-out as an evil character - he's the man who created the Sentinels and for that reason we know we don't like him but that's pretty much the only reason and even that isn't inherently evil/terrorism/despicable when you think about it. Needed much more Peter Dinklage in my opinion.

Good story though. The ending really does provide them with limitless possibilities for future sequels for reasons I'll let you discover for yourselves. Stay after the credits for another scene that teases the next film in the franchise...

Spoiler:
OOOOO SHIT APOCALYPSE TIME! FOUR HORSEMAN TOO WHO WILL SAVE US?

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Ali » May 24, '14, 10:22 pm

New thing I'm trying, Audio Reviews!

https://soundcloud.com/ali-adamjee/valo ... uture-past

Me and my buddy talk about the new X-Men movie, and the ones before.

Bare with us, this is our first ever podcast and review, we'll get better, I promise.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby UTK » May 27, '14, 2:31 pm

I don't know why but I saw more movies at the theater this past weekend than I have in months.

Neighbors - 6/10
Godzilla - 6.5/10
Captain America: Winter Soldier - 7/10

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59

Postby JDD » May 27, '14, 7:05 pm

Godzilla - 8/10

X Men DOFP - 9/10

Inside Llewyn Davis -10/10

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby KaiserGlider » May 28, '14, 4:31 pm

All is Lost - 7/10
Godzilla - 8/10
X-Men - 9/10

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby ShaneOfan » May 28, '14, 7:50 pm

Glory(for the 900th time)-10/10
Godzilla-6/10 until the end fight which was 8/10
X-Men-8/10
X-2-8/10
Last Stand-6/10
First Class-8.5/10
DOFP-9/10

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby prophet » Jun 01, '14, 5:23 pm

A Million Ways To Die In The West - 4/10

You know what you're getting with a Seth MacFarlane film I guess. I enjoyed 'Ted' though, so figured I might like this...and I did, kind of. Anyone that likes Family Guy or MacFarlane's comedy in general will likely enjoy this movie but they'd also likely all agree it isn't very good. The laughs are few and far beyond and most come in the form of cheap humor. It has a wildly underutilized cast and MacFarlane himself isn't a good enough actor/name to be the leading man, particularly in this where he's trying to be play the plucky underdog role.

The story is so basic, lazily so almost - as are some of the tools he uses in his directing (montages for example). Sadly this just felt like a live-action special episode of Family Guy set in the West which again I guess is what the studio wanted and what MacFarlane gave to them so I can't have too many complaints. I didn't hate the film and watching it was pleasurable...it just isn't a good film :lol

Spoiler:
There's an amazing Jamie Foxx cameo as Django right at the end which made it all worth it, badass 3 seconds of film right there!

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Daz » Jun 01, '14, 5:55 pm

X-Men Days of Future Past. Huge X-Men fan. Thought this was by far the most X-Menny of the all the films, packing in a lot more sci-fi and Claremontian shit, and I do believe he had a cameo at one point which was nice ... although I'm sure he was disappointed by the lack of leather and tentacles ... There was probably too much going on to be fair, I mean they packed a lot of shit in. Quicksilver was probably an unnecessary addition, even if he did have one of the biggest "in-jokes" in the film which made me chuckle, and one of the coolest action sequences.

The future X-Men weren't left with a whole lot to do, but the visual representation of Blink, who is actually one of my favourite obscure X-Men characters, was amazing. In fact it was kind of cool in general to see a lot of these second or third tier (I mean Warpath gets in a movie, but Boom Boom, Jubilee, Cannonball, Dani Moonstar etc. etc. can't?)

The ending undid a lot of the wrongs of X-Men 3, which satisfied me to no end. And I loved all the little tie ins to the previous continuity. I cannot believe they're doing Apocalypse next, but I after seeing this, I have faith that they'll make it awesome. If they can get Alan Cummings back as Nightcrawler it'll be icing on the cake. If they wouldn't mind making a Gambit movie with Mr. Sinister as the main villain at some point too, I'll be satisfied.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby saucernips » Jun 05, '14, 5:58 am

Thor: The Dark World - Super fun, good twist at the end. Tom Hiddleston should be in everything.

The Lego Movie - It was okay. I was expecting a bit more, honestly. The live action stuff also completely killed it for me and probably means I won't watch it back.

saucernips Female
Jobber
Jobber

Postby Everlong » Jun 23, '14, 10:23 pm

Just saw Xmen: First Class for the first time. Pretty good, I can see why the reviews for it were strong. I've heard lots of really good things about the new movie as well, so hopefully I can get out to see that within the next couple weeks.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jun 23, '14, 10:36 pm

saucernips wrote:The Lego Movie - It was okay. I was expecting a bit more, honestly. The live action stuff also completely killed it for me and probably means I won't watch it back.

Yeah, the live action shot at the end killed it even though it was a cute way to end the movie for children, with the whole showing of how far a child's imagination could go. They could have easily ended it without the live action and opened up a possible slew of follow up movies, but it kind of felt like they wanted it to be a one off and had no intention of a sequel.

But hey, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV