It is currently: Apr 26, '24, 11:41 pm

Rate the last film that you've watched

Talk about movies and television in here!

Re: Rate the last film that you've watched

Postby EmperorWu » Feb 11, '15, 6:24 am

Automata

Jacq Vaucan is an insurance agent of ROC robotics corporation who investigates cases of robots violating their primary protocols against altering themselves. What he discovers will have profound consequences for the future of humanity.

Pretty good film, Antonia Banderas was actually pretty good, and I loved the robots. This movie made me feel empathy for them, and they certainly seemed almost human which is the point of this film. They even display a type of nobility, it wasn't over the top and seemed realistic to how a robot would really behave if capable. They weren't like Blade Runner or something, it just showed them with the spark of humanity developing. The cinematography was really nice too. 8/10

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby Daz » Feb 11, '15, 8:33 am

Frank - 7/10

I don't even know what to say. A fucking weird movie at no mistake.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby JDD » Feb 13, '15, 10:11 pm

Spongebob:Sponge Out of Water - I loved it. Was every bit as good as the first film. Thankfully the live action/cgi stuff only made up for about 20 minutes of the movie. That was the only part I didnt enjoy. Other than that, it was a lot of fun. 7.5/10

Jupiter Ascending - This sucked. It was boring, visuals were nice but didnt make the film better, the action scenes were alright but there wernt alot and a lot of the acting was pretty poor. 4/10

Kingsman:The Secret Service: This was awesome. It was directed by Matthew Vaugn(Kick Ass, X-Men First Class) and you definatley get a bit of the Kick Ass vibe from it. It was basically an over the top James Bond. Action packed and pretty hillarious. Colin Firth was a fucking badass. 9/10

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 78

Postby Hanley! » Feb 23, '15, 5:13 pm

EmperorWu wrote:Automata

Jacq Vaucan is an insurance agent of ROC robotics corporation who investigates cases of robots violating their primary protocols against altering themselves. What he discovers will have profound consequences for the future of humanity.

Pretty good film, Antonia Banderas was actually pretty good, and I loved the robots. This movie made me feel empathy for them, and they certainly seemed almost human which is the point of this film. They even display a type of nobility, it wasn't over the top and seemed realistic to how a robot would really behave if capable. They weren't like Blade Runner or something, it just showed them with the spark of humanity developing. The cinematography was really nice too. 8/10

I'd advise seeing Ex Machina as a companion piece to this film. I haven't seen Automata, but it seems like if you liked this then you might like Ex Machina. It's an exploration of Artificial Intelligence. It's focusing more on the actual intelligence and ability to seem human, over the idea of robots having emotion or humanity. But that actually make sit a little different from what's out there already.

It's an interesting film - made by Irish & British studios. The AI gave me a very uncanny valley feeling at times. The movie was quite creepy in some scenes.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Hanley! » Feb 23, '15, 5:16 pm

Daz wrote:Frank - 7/10

I don't even know what to say. A fucking weird movie at no mistake.

I really thought I'd enjoy this film. Just saw it a couple of weeks ago and ... I didn't. I guess I didn't hate it either, but it was a weird film. I liked that the message seemed to be that you don't need to have a tortured childhood in order to write good music. But it wasn't handled that great.

Fassbender was awesome in it though. Whenever he was on screen, things worked well. He was really funny throughout. All the other characters were loathsome though, and Fassbender didn't get as much screen time as I thought he would.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby EmperorWu » Mar 07, '15, 12:23 am

Promocion Phantasma (Ghost Graduation): A school teacher who sees ghosts gets hired to a new school that's haunted by several kids and is tasked with getting rid of them. I wasn't expecting much and was about to turn it off when i realized it was in Spanish but I stuck with it and ended up really enjoying it. It's pretty funny and has an original plot. You'll still get all the jokes even if you don't speak Spanish. The cast was great and charming. It's on Netflix and worth watching if you want to watch something simple but not cliched. 7/10

The House At The End Of Time: Oh man this movie could have been something, it had a wonderful house set. The plot could have been very good. Some of the scenes were very well shot. The cast was never above good. The major flaw besides the tired out, that thing that happened to you was really you coming back to the past cliche, which needs a solid plot to work, was that they never explain why this house has magic abilities. I don't even recall them even hinting at what it was. So it goes from haunted house where your family gets murdered, to oh really everything that happened was caused by you traveling through time. But your husband being possessed and killing people and why this house has the ability to transport people through time and for what purpose... a fuck that plot point it doesn't matter. I had a hard time paying attention after I found out the stupid plot, so maybe I missed some stuff that would have cleared it up. I really disliked the main actress' character which I don't think you were supposed to. 4/10

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby UTK » Mar 07, '15, 4:25 pm

Birdman - 7.5/10. I definitely enjoyed it. I definitely appreciated the effort of the directing. I thought Keaton and Norton were really good. But I didn't like the ending.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Candyman44 » Mar 08, '15, 1:17 pm

Watched Birdman last night. I'd give it 8.5/10. The cinematography and Editing were top notch. Michael Keaton, Edward Norton and Emma Stone all gave superb performances too. Only film I've seen from the director other than Amores Perros, I'll be watching some more of his stuff though.

Candyman44 None specified
Gym Rat
Gym Rat

Postby Westcoastvibes » Mar 08, '15, 8:11 pm

John Wick - 8.5/10

Really loved the flow of the movie and how they made him real. The directors and producers payed close attention to bullet counts in guns, physical injuries, and real world damages to vehicles and inanimate objects. It was nice to see a gunman run out of bullets when he was supposed to, a car fall 3 stories and not explode into flames, and people actually stop fighting after getting shot the first time.

it was a bit hard to follow at start but once the pieces starting falling into place it was an enjoyable movie.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby VaderBomb » Mar 13, '15, 12:32 pm

Nightcrawler - 9.5/10

"The price hasn't been negotiated yet."

Exploitation for personal gain is one of the foundations of capitalism, and Nightcrawler is a tense and cautionary masterpiece that is against those political and social ideals. Nothing matters but getting the right footage, the right stuff to make money, to make a name. It's mainstream media, it's Hollywood, it's fucking borderline cannibalism and it's a shitty way to carry on.

Lou Bloom is one of the classic and more interesting characters of the cinema. A part of me wanted him to succeed but morally I couldn't get on board with his philosophies or actions. He's constantly spouting the most disagreeable demands but in the end I can't help but empathize in a bizarre way.

That's part of what makes Nightcrawler such a well written film. The fact that the inherent belief system of the protagonist is so ill-informed yet so relatable in a sense makes it fascinating. The fact that he works so hard to make his dreams come true, and the people around him are constantly putting roadblocks in his way despite his apparent success is a very deep and sympathetic concept considering his moral standing. He's idiosyncratic passion makes him relatable but his ideas and the way that carries them out are beyond disagreeable. Nightcrawler is really fucking deep in that regard.

I would prefer not to sound cliché but Nightcrawler is the total package. I laughed, I cried, I was on the edge of my seat throughout. It's one of the most consistently entertaining, suspenseful and intriguing films that I've seen and nothing about it is contrived. It's beautiful.

Whether it be now or in the future, Nightcrawler will certainly be regarded as a classic.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Postby Hanley! » Mar 13, '15, 3:10 pm

^^ One of the more underrated movies from last year, to be sure. Gyllenhaal's performance was immense.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby EmperorWu » Mar 16, '15, 4:17 am

American Beauty - This is the first time I've ever seen this movie and it left me staggered. I wish I was smart enough to analyze/comprehend why it had this effect on me, I just know it did. This is a very rare film, there are so few films or shows that have left me feeling that way when the credits roll. I call them "stare out the window" films, cause that's what you have to do for the next few minutes. :lol I'm really interested in hearing what people thought of this movie, I'm dumbfounded right now. I'm glad I avoided watching this movie for years, I doubt I would have enjoyed it as a teenager. 9.5/10

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby EmperorWu » Mar 18, '15, 6:10 am

Crash aka Every Single Person On Earth Is A Racist Asshole: The Movie - I was really turning on this movie for the first half, and even towards the end. It did start coming around, so I didn't end up flat out hating it. About 90% of this movie is people saying racist shit for hardly any reason or none at all. Hell even Ryan Phillipe's character who seems like one of the most decent guys in the movie is suddenly a racist asshole for no reason. Everything is so over the top, I have a hard time believing any of these characters would act this way all the damn time. There were so really good dramatic moments, but every person's life is horrible in some way or another. Even characters that barely show up, get a cameo before the end to show how life shit on them. I feel like at the end this movie had a decent message, or tried to have one. This movie lacked any form of subtlety what so ever. As annoying as it was, I still liked it though. Matt Damon and Terrence Howard were the standouts for sure. 7/10 :lol

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby UTK » Apr 04, '15, 10:58 pm

Drive - 5/10

The reviews for this movie consisted of people saying, "I expected an action movie and got an artsy movie." So I went into it expecting a slow but visually satisfying film. But I didn't even get that. Nothing stood out to me in terms of direction. The cinematography was definitely nice at times, but not nice enough to make up for the lack of plot and Gosling's robot acting (though I wouldn't blame him for it, seems like he was directed to be emotionless.) There was absolutely nothing special about this movie. Except Bryan Cranston. Because I love him.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Everlong » Apr 12, '15, 2:06 pm

Just saw IT FOLLOWS at the theaters last night. Not normally a big horror movie guy, but this one was really unique and done quite well. Creepy and enjoyable. Good date movie!

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Matteo » Apr 24, '15, 6:08 am

UTK wrote:Drive - 5/10

The reviews for this movie consisted of people saying, "I expected an action movie and got an artsy movie." So I went into it expecting a slow but visually satisfying film. But I didn't even get that. Nothing stood out to me in terms of direction. The cinematography was definitely nice at times, but not nice enough to make up for the lack of plot and Gosling's robot acting (though I wouldn't blame him for it, seems like he was directed to be emotionless.) There was absolutely nothing special about this movie. Except Bryan Cranston. Because I love him.

I thought the direction was absolutely fantastic. The film engenders a heavy European sensibility, and it's a perfect example of a work being formed and shaped in the editing room, as opposed to on set, during principal photography. It had plot, but the progression and concentration of it is not as overt, for lack of better word, as we have come accustomed to in North American film. Gosling's dispassionate and seemingly inexpressive acting is a common criticism, indeed, but I found the character particularly enigmatic and fascinating on the whole. But, yes, in my opinion, the film primarily feels like a product of Western European cinema, strictly in terms of pacing, storytelling, and, to a lesser extent, editing, than anything that is distinctively discernible in American filmmaking.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

Postby Hanley! » Apr 24, '15, 7:07 am

Here's my problem with Drive. The film makers had no intention of immersing you in what was taking place. They wanted you to notice the beautiful cinematography constantly. The camera work was not in service of the movie, the movie was in service of the camera work. It's an ass- backwards approach to film-making in my opinion. I can't deny that it was gorgeously shot, but in my opinion it was done in a pretentious way. Every frame felt like the film-makers were begging me, not just to like the shot, but appreciate how much skill had gone into it.

And all of this didn't add much to the story of the film. More than that, it seemed like the point of the film, and the story was secondary. It always bothers me when cinematography becomes too gimmicky and tries to overpower the story. In my own opinion, everything that is done in a film should be in service of the story.

That's not to say flashy cinematography cannot be done well. The best recent example I can think of is Birdman. When I heard that the film gave the appearance of being one long shot, I was worried that it would come off as too gimmicky. But watching the film, I loved the way it was done. First of all, because I don't think it was drawing too much attention to itself. But most importantly because it was perfect for the story they were telling. It referenced the high-pressure, no-second-chances atmosphere of the theatre. And it established the main characters mental instability in an effective and innovative way by having days literally blend into each other, and by having reality and fantasy co-exist with each other.

Drive feels like the director was wanking himself off with his own cinematography. It feels self-indulgent. I didn't hate the film by any means. But when you take away the shallow, surface-level stuff like the (admittedly beautiful) cinematography and the (admittedly cool) soundtrack, there's very little left.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Matteo » Apr 24, '15, 8:43 pm

I've never understood this criticism. I agree that the work is impressive from a photographic standpoint, but the cinematography isn't really all that overtly stylised or intrusive to the narrative. It's actually a fairly conventional technical work, strictly from the frameworks of framing, composition, rendering and blocking. I don't think there is anything distinctively unorthodox about the photography (to the extent of it becoming a detriment or burden to the storytelling). However, I think one could make this argument for Refn's succeeding film, Only God Forgives, which is just narratively loose, heavily stylised and simply a remarkable exercise in cinematography and nothing else. But I simply do not see it in Drive. Let's not forget, the most imperative component to the cinematographic process is - and always has been - lighting. And there is nothing conspicuously bothersome or self-indulgent about that, either. This entire notion that Drive is so beautifully photographed and so 'concentrated' with its visuals has always perplexed me, to be honest.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 25, '15, 10:27 pm

The Day It Came to Earth (1979) 5/10

"Geological Gaseous Goon"... ..."GE GA GOO"

A glowing red meteor crashes into a small lake. A mobster who previously laid dead in the water is awakened as a zombie. When he's not chillin' at the the bottom of the lake next to said extraterrestrial rock, he's parading around town attempting to gather the fragmented pieces of his meteorite, spooking dozens of teens in the process.

The police officer character actually believes the outrageous tales that the teenage protagonists freak out about, which is refreshing considering how many horror movie deaths could have been avoided if some sort of authority figure had any shred of open mindedness towards the supernatural or unexplained.

Some of the dialogue and delivery is so wildly campy that you'd have to consider accepting The Day It Came to Earth as a satire but honestly, I don't. I believe that these filmmakers intended to make a classic throwback to 50s Sc-Fi alien invasion movies and succeeded only slightly.

With a ridiculously low body count and cinematography as dark as the heart of an aryan, it's surprising that I enjoyed this as much as I did. It's a monster movie where the kids don't get killed, they just get scared. The monster looks decent but is well hid due to a serious lack of lighting in many scenes.

There's just something about the vibe of low budget Horror or Sci-Fi movies from the late 70s and early 80s that I love so much and while The Day It Came to Earth isn't necessarily one of the best (Fiend, Planet of Dinosaurs, The Day Time Ended, The Dungeonmaster, Laserblast), I'm still a fan.

It's worth checking out but don't expect a great film. It's fun and cheesy and never takes itself too seriously and at around 80 minutes runtime, it's a breeze. The "Ge Ga Goo" scene will forever be solidified as one of the most pointless scenes in cinema history. I cannot believe how that scene was written, acted out and viewed by the adults involved in this film as acceptable but I'm so glad that it exists.

Strange Brew (1983) 8/10

"I was the last one left after the nuclear holocaust, eh. The whole world had been destroyed, like U.S. blew up Russia and Russia blew up U.S. and Canada. Fortunately, I had been offworld at the time. There wasn't much to do. All the bowling alleys and donut shops had been wrecked. So's I spent most of my time looking for beer."

Written and directed by Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas, Strange Brew is full of surprisingly consistent movie magic. It's almost shocking to see how well made it is, nearly on the surprise level of the first time that I saw Bob Balaban's Parents. I never knew these guys had it in them. I mean, they're all such charming personalities who bring magic to us with their charisma. Apparently they're all incredible filmmakers to boot.

1983's Strange Brew is like Wayne's World/Dumb and Dumber meets a beer-fueled Up In Smoke and it manages to be as good as the aforementioned films combined.

Plus, it features Max von Sydow as the brewmeister! I'm convinced that von Sydow read the script and was immediately won over. I hope with all of my heart that it wasn't a financial decision to act in this. I want to live in a world where Max von Sydow truly loves this picture.

It's interesting to read that Mel Blanc is credited as the voice of Mr. McKenzie, I could have sworn that I heard Brian Doyle Murray's voice playing that part.

"We hope you enjoyed the beer, oh, like I mean the movie, eh."

Upstream (1927) 8/10

I had a chance to catch this last night on the big screen with a live band playing an original score, and what a gem it is! Previously thought to be lost until it's rediscovery in 2009, it's been cleaned up and restored quite nicely.

Upstream reminds me of my favorite pre-code comedies but a little less sexual and a little more cartoonish. The comedy within is very charming and the movie breezes by without wasting a single frame. The jokes are all solid and nothing feels forced. The characters are all very likable, aside from Earle Foxe (as Mr. Brashingham) who plays a classic heel with a classic name. He's such a brash, unlikeable mother fucker but that's the point and it all works so splendidly.

Ford shows early on that he's almost a master of his craft and with a bit of influence from Murnau, he sets the stage for his later work quite confidently. Upstream touches upon the themes of ego, success, and love and does so with much finesse. Also, there's a theater scene within this film that is the closest that we ever get to see John Ford shoot a theatrical presentation of Hamlet and it looks forward to a classic Shakespearean scene from Ford's My Darling Clementine. This is the earliest Ford film that I've watched, and I look forward to checking out more of his silent pictures.

L' isola degli uomini pesce 4/10

How an apparent 8/10 became a considerable failure with a gunshot to the head of a snake

The original Italian translated title Island of the Fishmen is a much better appellation for this film than it's subsequent American releases (Something Waits in the Dark and Screamers) because it actually makes an attempt to relate to the happenings within. Despite this, it's still an awful title and this movie is a failure in itself.

The film starts off as a fast-paced splatter monster movie. We meet a handful of characters searching for mysteries in a haunted cave. Within five minutes they either get their heads ripped off, throats slit or their faces get all fucked up by what seems to be an unstoppable amphibious monster.

Hell yeah, I'm on board so far. I don't necessarily give a shit about any of these characters surviving but the gore effects were well done, so I approve. This is a late 70s Italian splatter film. I don't go in to these types of films expecting to relate to characters or even have sympathy for them. I want to see stupid people get massacred, and the opening scenes of this film deliver in that regard. Little did I know that these opening scenes were added in afterwards for the American releases, and in hindsight it makes a whole lot of sense as to why I was so disappointed in how this movie progressed and why I mistakenly presumed that this was in fact a late 70s Italian splatter film.

Following the cave sequence, we cut to a group of men on small boat getting ravaged by the raging sea. One of these men is Lieutenant Claude de Ross and he is transporting the other passengers who happen to be convicts to an island prison. We see a bit of dissension among these men. The Lieutenant is the man who controls their destinies, and of course they aren't content. The boat subsequently gets attacked by the same monster(s) who dominated the first ten minutes of the film. Men are torn to pieces and the ones who aren't are thrown into the darkness of the ocean.

Lieutenant Claude de Ross awakens and finds himself washed ashore on a tropical volcanic island; beat up but alive nonetheless. He begins to explore his surroundings and finds out that a handful of convicts have also survived and are attempting to assess this situation. One of these convicts gets his face all slashed up by a monster and the remaining three men seemingly have quite the adventure ahead of them. The dissension progresses as the apparent hatred for the law and oppression gets between a convict and the Lieutenant and it turns out that these men have more to deal with than monsters. The strife between each other appears to be even more problematic than these issues that originally put them into this ridiculous position.

At this point, I'm jubilant. Here I think that this movie (which I initially presumed to be a splatter film, judging by it's opening sequence) is now heading into an unexpected but completely acceptable new territory. It begins to play out like an existential Lord of the Flies type-tale with the visual aesthetic of John Boorman's excellent Hell in the Pacific. If you knew me personally, you know that I love me some Hell in the Pacific, and any movie that even comes close to it's vibe is something that I'll be willing to sit through.

But I digress, and the adventure continues. The survivors stumble upon a cemetery built by the mysterious natives and one of the convicts warns of legendary stories. The graves are all dug up and he explains the rumors of zombies who inhabit the island. Here I am, still thrilled at what's taking place before my eyes. I was ready to turn to my girlfriend and tell her that this is already one of my favorite movies of all time, at least a 7.5 or 8/10 thus far. I'm relieved that I didn't jump the gun because during the end of the cemetery scene, with one little gunshot to the head of an approaching snake, this film completely changes and falls apart.

The bullet comes from the barrel of a rifle held by a woman in complete bourgeois garb sitting on a horse. Fuck. Why couldn't they keep this pure? Why must these horror movies always introduce meaningless characters halfway though? I wanted more dissension. I wanted to see these three men physically and psychologically cope with natives and zombies and monsters and more importantly each other... and goddamnit, with one bullet my dreams have been shattered and this film no longer existed as "one of my favorite movies of all time".

The woman on horseback warns the men to leave and refuses to give them any sort of information. She rides off, and naturally they follow her. This is the moment when this film ceases to be a horror film and becomes a quasi-romantic drama. They arrive at this giant, dull-looking mansion and it turns out that some rich old dude owns the island. He personifies the uninteresting, small-time dictator role and the whole movie seemingly turns into an Island of Doctor Moreau ripoff.

I honestly wished that this would be as worse as gets, but my wishes did not come true. The plot becomes so convoluted, not in the sense where I couldn't follow it, but in the sense where I didn't see why anybody would've written this doo-doo to begin with. The monsters (who appeared strong in the first half) are explained to us, and it couldn't be more ludicrous.

No joke, this is what happens: The monsters have been influenced to become addicted to this bizarre syrup and in order to receive it, they agree to swim down to the lost city of Atlantis to retrieve gold for the uninteresting dictator. It then becomes apparent that this uninteresting dictator is holding a crooked scientist captive (the father of the woman on horseback) and he is creating a new race of half fish/half man monsters who will replace terrestrial man after they become overpopulated. Stupid, right? Well, it gets worse.

The volcano explodes, the mansion burns down and everybody dies (?). Cue the last scene of the film. The girl and the Lieutenant are alive, floating on the ocean on a piece of wreckage. She proclaims how she knew that the monsters would save them and the Lieutenant looks into the distance. He point to a sailboat in the distance and announces that "They see us!". What a pointlessly happy and ridiculously crappy ending to a supremely flawed movie.

The first half is legit 7.5/10 stuff, and the second half borders on 4/10, perhaps even 3.5/10. For these reasons, I can't give it more than a 4/10 all around, despite the great first half. I've never experienced a movie which falls apart so bad halfway through. Tropical Malady is an example of a film which abruptly changes halfway through, but it's to the benefit of the overall piece. This movie is the antithesis to Tropical Malady and it's a considerable failure.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Postby Hanley! » Apr 26, '15, 6:10 am

Matteo wrote:I've never understood this criticism. I agree that the work is impressive from a photographic standpoint, but the cinematography isn't really all that overtly stylised or intrusive to the narrative. It's actually a fairly conventional technical work, strictly from the frameworks of framing, composition, rendering and blocking. I don't think there is anything distinctively unorthodox about the photography (to the extent of it becoming a detriment or burden to the storytelling). However, I think one could make this argument for Refn's succeeding film, Only God Forgives, which is just narratively loose, heavily stylised and simply a remarkable exercise in cinematography and nothing else. But I simply do not see it in Drive. Let's not forget, the most imperative component to the cinematographic process is - and always has been - lighting. And there is nothing conspicuously bothersome or self-indulgent about that, either. This entire notion that Drive is so beautifully photographed and so 'concentrated' with its visuals has always perplexed me, to be honest.

The film might not try to do anything particularly new or unique in terms of its cinematography, but there's no doubt in my mind that the main focus of the film was its cinematography. Shots would often linger, far after they had already communicated what they were supposed to, seemingly just so the audience could concentrate on the beauty of the shot. 'Important' moments were often shot in a way that were visually striking, but didn't do the best job of communicating what was happening in that moment.

Now it's possible that all this was done deliberately by the director to create a sense of distance, and that this is what he was trying to achieve with the lifeless, robotic acting performances also. But I just don't think that's a good decision, if you're trying to make a truly great film. Immersion is almost as important as good storytelling, and this film had neither.

Maybe the biggest problem is that this film just didn't have a compelling story, or good performances. So all that you're left with is the visuals and the soundtrack. I'd be interested to see if you thought there was anything special about the actual narrative of the film, because it left me completely cold. Typically whenever I hear someone praising the film, they fail to say anything about the film's story. And to me, if a film doesn't have a great story then it's not a great film.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV