It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 5:05 am

Rate the last film that you've watched

Talk about movies and television in here!

Re: Rate the last film that you've watched

Postby EmperorWu » Jul 29, '15, 6:44 am

I recently watched Nightcrawler staring Jake Gyllenhaal. I really enjoyed this movie. Gyllenhaal had a great performance and was completely believable as his character. He's incredibly unlikable, yet you're very much drawn into the story. It's a unique movie because there is nothing positive about it. The characters are unlikable, their actions are reprehensible, there is no happy ending or silver lining. Yet I can completely believe people like this exist. My favorite scenes are when he's just sitting there staring at people, the dude is just plain creepy and off putting. The dialogue is great, the way he thinks and speaks is disturbing and intriguing. He's not an over the top killer, which actually adds to the effect, he never hurts anyone as I recall. Yet he's a compassionless observer, who at times actively manipulates situations for his own gain with no remorse for those caught in the crossfire. The atmosphere is so somber, the music ins't over the top, and the mood it creates really sucks you into this hopeless world. This movie is a very interesting experience and I recommend you all watch it.

This is easily one of my favorite movies in a long time. I'm not as smart as most of you guys so I can't really articulate it but... there's something about it man. It really stuck with me. :lol

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 29, '15, 3:33 pm

Tropic Thunder

Robert Downey Jnr :lol I could have watched the film if it only had him in it..!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby VaderBomb » Oct 12, '15, 11:58 am

My girlfriend and I have been together for over six years and we just realized that we'd never watched Jaws together. So we did it.

What a magical movie, definitely one of Spielberg's best films.

... dat shooting star. :O

I honestly like all of the weird sequels despite being critically panned.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Postby VaderBomb » Oct 12, '15, 12:10 pm

Also, just watched Jackass 2 for the first time in like ten years. It could potentially be the funniest movie ever made.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Postby UTK » Oct 18, '15, 1:46 pm

UTK wrote:Bronson - 6/10

I only gave it a 6 because of Tom Hardy's acting. I didn't really care for anything else, really. I feel like it had a lot of potential. A lot of stuff happened in Bronson's life, and I felt like it was all glossed over. Like the film didn't really have a concrete narrative. It just felt like "Charles Bronson staring at walls and beating people up" for 90 minutes. With a new location every 10. I wish the film focused on individual experiences in his life. I feel like the movie only finally picked up in its last 15 or so minutes.

But then again, it's the same director as Drive

I rewatched this movie the other day because my girlfriend's friend liked it a lot and recommended it to her, so I decided to watch it again with her. To be honest, I liked it a lot more this time. Not sure why. I still agree with my initial criticisms, but I enjoyed it a lot more this time around. Maybe because I knew what to expect. She hated it, though, and I don't blame her. It is a really strange film.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hanley! » Oct 18, '15, 2:09 pm

I just tried to watch 22 Jump Street on Netflix. It sucks. Well, the first 20 minutes did at least, I didn't get past that. I actually liked the predecessor (which took me a little by surprise) but this one felt like it was trying way too hard and the jokes weren't landing. I couldn't force myself to sit through it.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Westcoastvibes » Oct 18, '15, 9:56 pm

Hanley! wrote:I just tried to watch 22 Jump Street on Netflix. It sucks. Well, the first 20 minutes did at least, I didn't get past that. I actually liked the predecessor (which took me a little by surprise) but this one felt like it was trying way too hard and the jokes weren't landing. I couldn't force myself to sit through it.

This is one of those movies that needs substance to be entertaining, legal or not, your choice

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Messiah » Oct 25, '15, 8:34 am

Finally watched Nightcrawler.

It was so good. Jake Gyllenhaal got snubbed in nominations.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby UTK » Oct 25, '15, 12:10 pm

Hanley! wrote:I just tried to watch 22 Jump Street on Netflix. It sucks. Well, the first 20 minutes did at least, I didn't get past that. I actually liked the predecessor (which took me a little by surprise) but this one felt like it was trying way too hard and the jokes weren't landing. I couldn't force myself to sit through it.

Interesting. I liked both, but I actually thought 22 was even funnier.

UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Ali » Dec 05, '15, 5:14 pm

Creed is awesome and you should all go watch it. Stallone better get a Best Supporting Actor nomination, if not a win.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 10, '16, 4:21 pm

GI Joe Retaliation

Saw this film today having no background to the film whatsoever. So following the story became a tad difficult initially but surprised Tatum got killed off so early then I remembered the furore that was caused by this so don't know what the additional scenes were that he did. Rock was, as expected, well cast as Roadblock and I didn't get Bruce Willis' role - does he have some link to the GI Joe story previously as the Original Joe? The ninja scenes were cool but maybe bit more of that would have been good. 7/10.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Jan 10, '16, 7:14 pm

I want to strongly recommend the movie Southpaw. I thought it was really good, one of the best boxing movies I've seen and definitely the best story told around a boxing movie.

I want to strongly recommend that no one ever watch Pay the Ghost ever, ever, ever, ever. A horrible, horrible ridiculously concepted movie that is on the short list of worst movies I've seen.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Jan 12, '16, 1:25 pm

I saw The Revenant yesterday, and was thoroughly impressed. You can read my full thoughts here: http://novacritic.com/the-revenant-a-br ... ilderness/

9/10, with outstanding performances by Leo and Tom Hardy and some of the most gorgeous cinematography you'll see in a movie.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby UTK » Jan 14, '16, 6:18 pm

Everlong wrote:I saw The Revenant yesterday, and was thoroughly impressed. You can read my full thoughts here: http://novacritic.com/the-revenant-a-br ... ilderness/

9/10, with outstanding performances by Leo and Tom Hardy and some of the most gorgeous cinematography you'll see in a movie.

Agreed. I wish it was Revenant that was released in 70mm instead of Hateful Eight.

UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Ali » Feb 27, '16, 10:45 pm

Eddie the Eagle

Sometimes, you're in the mood for a realistic biopic. An inspirational tale, but one that's dramatic and down to earth, like a 42. Great movie, I loved that movie.

Sometimes, you're in the mood for some goofy cliches. Just as inspirational, but a little more silly. A bit more out there, not sticking to the "true story" as strongly. Something like Cool Runnings.

This movie falls into the latter category.

Taron Egerton, who is most known from Kingsman: The Secret Service plays the titular Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards, an optimistic young lad with huge cokebottle glasses, who dreams of being an Olympian, even though he had bad knees as a kid, and is not the best athlete in the world. Everyone says that he'll never make it, he's a screw up, he should just give up on his dreams and be a construction worker like his dad. But of course, his mom loves him and supports him, and damn it, he's got heart! He'll never give up, no matter how much you say he should!

The movie plays out pretty much exactly how you would expect.

Eddie's rejected from the British Olympic Downhill Skiing team, so he decides to take up ski jumping, on the basis that, since there are no other British ski jumpers, all he has to do is qualify, and he's in the Olympics.

This is effectively where the similarities between the real story and this movie end.

He goes to Germany to train, and meets washed-up old drunk Wolveri--I mean, Hugh Jackman. Jackman plays a completely made-up former US Ski Jumping champion, and he's not even bothering to hide his Australian accent. He was disgraced because he was a big-headed drunk, and now plows the snow in the world class training camp. Of course, he wants nothing to do with Eddie at first, but... you know how this goes.

One cliche I will give them credit for avoiding is that of the Opposing Sports Team. You think it's gonna happen a couple of times, but they just decide not to go through with it. Apart from that, though, this hits every single note you expect from an Inspirational Sports Biopic. Now, I happen to like that sort of cheese, so I found this movie to be completely fine. It's just over an hour and a half, it doesn't overstay its welcome, it's a feel-good movie that does it's job.

And it has Christopher Walken in it. He makes everything better.

Final Rating: Good. Watch this back-to-back with Cool Runnings. They even center around the same event, the 1988 Winter Olympics. Good double-feature.

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap

Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 05, '16, 5:47 pm

On a plane travelling recently and caught up with two films:

Legend - starring Tom Hardy as Reggie/Ronnie Kray - 8/10
As someone fascinated by the Krays and having read John Pearson's follow up book to the Profession of Violence, Hardy did a great job as both brothers. Everyone rightly noted his performance as schizophrenic Ronnie but I thought his role of Reg was slightly more better. Also, for me, I'm not sure the scene implying the rape of Frances is true as the book I read suggested they hadn't had a sexual relationship at all and the fight in the club between the two brothers..? But enjoyed it.

The Dark Knight Rises - 7.5
Hardy again excellent as Bane and Hathaway as Kyle. Scenes between Bruce/Alfred touching and yes, it was slightly long and the story a tad OTT towards the end but it didn't take away the enjoyment for me as the script-writing and the whole feel of the movie incorporated from the last two helped push aside any long-lasting grievances.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Ali » Mar 05, '16, 8:12 pm

Zootopia

As Cat Stevens once said, "Oh, baby, baby, it's a Wild World."

Come to think of it, why wasn't "Wild World" used in this movie? Sung by a character called Cat Stevens? It would've been perfect!

But I digress. This is the relatively civilized world of Zootopia, where animals of all kinds come together and live in peace and harmony! Or so it seems on the surface. What lies beneath is tale of predator and prey, politics and prejudice, pride and power, all wrapped up in a police procedural! What do all these P-words add up to? Simply put, one of the smartest and most clever animated films in recent memory.

Disney brings us the story of Judy Hopps, a bright-eyed and bushy tailed little bunny, who dreams of breaking out of her family's tradition of being carrot farmers to become a police officer in the big city of Zootopia. I mean, it's not like the family needs her, she's got over 200 siblings that could easily take over the farm, so okay. But still, everyone wants to keep little Judy down. There's never been a rabbit police officer, and she's too "Cute" to be taken seriously. And her being called "cute" leads to one of the best jokes in the movie, but I'll get to that.

She's stuck on parking duty, but she wants more, so she takes up a Missing Persons (Animals?) case. With the help of a sly fox, Nick Wilde, who knows the streets and is roped in by the threat of Judy arresting him for tax evasion, she uncovers a scandal and a mystery that leads all the way to the top of the Food Chain, so to speak.

Now, I'm not going to sugarcoat anything... this movie's basically about the dangers of bigotry and prejudice, particularly racism and sexism. Judy Hopps can't be taken seriously as a cop because she's a "cute little bunny". Nick Wilde's never gonna amount to anything, because foxes are too untrustworthy, shifty, all of that. Predators should be feared because you never know when their "natural instincts" are going to kick in and become a threat to the innocent prey. Does this remind you of anything?

Now, it is dealing with these, heavy, HEAVY issues, and yet, it never feels preachy. It never beats you over the head with this message. It's there, it's not something you can ignore, but it's not the entire purpose of the film. The writing is so clever, the characters have such depth and personality, that it works as a straight-up buddy cop movie. It reminds me of something like 48 Hrs. or Shanghai Noon, where you pair the cop with the outlaw and they have to solve this crime or uncover this mystery.

I'm not going to talk about the character designs or the animation because, well, it's Disney. Needless to say, the film looks gorgeous. Also, the voice cast is, again, ON POINT. Ginnifer Goodwin and Jason Bateman are your leads, and they are perfect for these roles. You've got a supporting cast that includes Idris Elba, Jenny Slate, J.K. Simmons, among others, and they are fantastic. And they're not just phoning it in, you can tell they're acting and really getting into these roles.

Now, I do have a couple of problems, but they are minor. For one, there's that whole plot point of how there's a big misunderstanding, and I hate that trope. And while I think the message is good and not done in a heavy-handed way, it just doesn't hit me on nearly the same levels as Inside Out did, but I consider Inside Out to be such a perfect film that it's really not fair to compare the two. I think this is a stronger film than Big Hero 6 or even Frozen, and I loved Frozen.

My other problem with the film, and this is probably the biggest nitpick of all time, but I gotta say it. You have so much creativity in this film, in the designs of the world, and the writing is really clever... but some of these character names are just lazy. I mean, you've got some clever names: Hopps, Bellwether, Clawhauser... but it feels like somewhere, they gave up. Otterton, Lionheart, Weaselton (though I can let this one slide due to a long, cross-movie gag), there could be a lot more thought put into those.

But the most egregious example is Shakira's character. She's good in the movie, she plays a pop star gazelle with the big song, but the character's name is... Gazelle.

Really, Disney?! All of this thought put into this movie, and you call the gazelle character Gazelle?! What are all the other gazelles called, then? I saw 'em, they exist! Come on!

But overall, I think this is another supreme hit for Disney. This is gonna go down as one of those classics of animation, I think it'll only get better with time, it's a lot of fun, go see this movie.

Final Rating - Great. I'm gonna say a solid 8.5/10. Not perfect, not as strong as Inside Out, but what is? You're doing yourself a disservice if you DON'T see this movie.

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap

Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby Everlong » Mar 26, '16, 3:08 pm

Just saw 10 Cloverfield Lane. Really tense, enjoyed it quite a bit. John Goodman does an outstanding job, as do the two other actors who I was not familiar with. Highly recommended viewing, you'll be squirming in your seat the whole time.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby UTK » Mar 27, '16, 12:57 pm

Everlong wrote:Just saw 10 Cloverfield Lane. Really tense, enjoyed it quite a bit. John Goodman does an outstanding job, as do the two other actors who I was not familiar with. Highly recommended viewing, you'll be squirming in your seat the whole time.

Does it have any real relation to the original Cloverfield?

UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Everlong » Mar 27, '16, 4:59 pm

UTK wrote:
Everlong wrote:Just saw 10 Cloverfield Lane. Really tense, enjoyed it quite a bit. John Goodman does an outstanding job, as do the two other actors who I was not familiar with. Highly recommended viewing, you'll be squirming in your seat the whole time.

Does it have any real relation to the original Cloverfield?

Only loosely. I won't really spoil anything but, if you've seen the original Cloverfield, you have a general idea of what could very well be the menace that's outside the vault.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV