It is currently: May 06, '24, 5:29 pm

Rate the last film that you've watched

Talk about movies and television in here!

Re: Rate the last film that you've watched

Postby VaderBomb » Jan 15, '14, 7:02 pm

NoDQ wrote:Saw Days of Wrath the other night. Impeccably directed (as expected), but a bit uneven purely because of its somewhat schmaltzy acting.

Carl Theodor Dreyer's film?

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Postby Everlong » Jan 16, '14, 12:47 am

Just finished watching Her. Wow. If that wasn't a masterpiece, it's damn near close. It's been quite a while since I've been this impressed by a movie. The writing was absolutely phenomenal. It tugs you in so many different emotional directions. Pity for Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) that he's actually falling in love with an operating system, then you begin to cheer for their relationship while still also wishing that he'd find something more real... it's just so complex and beautiful. But what really makes this movie so powerful is the commentary it provides on the way we interact both with technology and with other people, and the potential for how these relationships will evolve in the near future. Absolutely fascinating stuff, and it just felt so incredibly real. The atmosphere of the movie is gorgeous. The fiming, the music, the scenery... everything is just exquisitely done.

Phoenix's acting performance is incredible. While I still believe that Leonardo diCaprio will win the Oscar for Best Actor this year (and it's certainly not undeserved, he was great in that movie) I think that Phoenix's performance is not only the superior performance of this year, but one of the greatest acting performances of the last couple decades. Also, this movie confirmed a long-held belief of mine that there needs to be an Oscar category for voice acting. Scarlett Johannsen did a marvelous job and her charm is a large part of why this movie was so damn good.

I rarely give out ratings of 9 or above for movies, but this one... you know what, it's going to get a 10/10 from me, and I think I can count the amount of movies I've given 10s on merely 2 hands. The best movie of the year that I've seen any way, and I've seen some really good ones. This isn't the kind of movie that is going to appeal to wide audiences, but if you have an open mind this is one that you simply can't miss.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Georgerv » Jan 16, '14, 3:36 am

Last film I watched was Con Air, great film, I'd give it a solid 8/10

Georgerv Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 42

Postby prophet » Jan 17, '14, 4:46 pm

Wolf of Wall Street - 10/10

This could just be because I've only just finished watching it and I haven't had time to process the film thoroughly in my head but I absolutely loved everything about this film from start to finish. DiCaprio was sublime and I'm so desperate for him to finally win that Oscar although I don't think he has a chance. Jonah Hill was great, better than I thought he'd be. Just a quality movie.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Everlong » Jan 19, '14, 7:27 pm

Watched This Is the End a couple nights ago and it was totally worth it even just for Michael Cera's scenes. Fucking hilarious. Anyway, it was pretty funny, had a lot of great cameos and the final scene had me cracking up. Not an amazing comedy but a pretty decent one. 7/10.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby JDD » Jan 21, '14, 7:03 pm

A Good Day to Die Hard - 0/10

I had this on my dvr and decided to give it a watch thinking that at least it would be a shitty action movie with some entertainment value. Boy was i wrong. This is by far the worst piece of crap ive ever seen. Its the first movie ive ever turned off because of how bad it was. And i enjoy the other 4 Die Hards alot. This one was just terrible. It was boring as shit and took all the fun out of Die Hard. It turne Die Hard into one of those generic Jason Statahm movies, but atleast Statahm's movies are fun for what they are. I hope this is the last we see of John Mcclane and they put this franchise to rest.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby UTK » Jan 21, '14, 8:53 pm

Everlong wrote:Just finished watching Her. Wow. If that wasn't a masterpiece, it's damn near close. It's been quite a while since I've been this impressed by a movie. The writing was absolutely phenomenal. It tugs you in so many different emotional directions. Pity for Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) that he's actually falling in love with an operating system, then you begin to cheer for their relationship while still also wishing that he'd find something more real... it's just so complex and beautiful. But what really makes this movie so powerful is the commentary it provides on the way we interact both with technology and with other people, and the potential for how these relationships will evolve in the near future. Absolutely fascinating stuff, and it just felt so incredibly real. The atmosphere of the movie is gorgeous. The fiming, the music, the scenery... everything is just exquisitely done.

Phoenix's acting performance is incredible. While I still believe that Leonardo diCaprio will win the Oscar for Best Actor this year (and it's certainly not undeserved, he was great in that movie) I think that Phoenix's performance is not only the superior performance of this year, but one of the greatest acting performances of the last couple decades. Also, this movie confirmed a long-held belief of mine that there needs to be an Oscar category for voice acting. Scarlett Johannsen did a marvelous job and her charm is a large part of why this movie was so damn good.

I rarely give out ratings of 9 or above for movies, but this one... you know what, it's going to get a 10/10 from me, and I think I can count the amount of movies I've given 10s on merely 2 hands. The best movie of the year that I've seen any way, and I've seen some really good ones. This isn't the kind of movie that is going to appeal to wide audiences, but if you have an open mind this is one that you simply can't miss.

I still have to see this. And Inside Llewyn Davis as well.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59

Postby Everlong » Jan 21, '14, 11:45 pm

jdd123 wrote:A Good Day to Die Hard - 0/10

I had this on my dvr and decided to give it a watch thinking that at least it would be a shitty action movie with some entertainment value. Boy was i wrong. This is by far the worst piece of crap ive ever seen. Its the first movie ive ever turned off because of how bad it was. And i enjoy the other 4 Die Hards alot. This one was just terrible. It was boring as shit and took all the fun out of Die Hard. It turne Die Hard into one of those generic Jason Statahm movies, but atleast Statahm's movies are fun for what they are. I hope this is the last we see of John Mcclane and they put this franchise to rest.

I have to say, I don't think I've ever seen someone give a movie a zero out of ten before :lol

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Everlong » Jan 22, '14, 10:33 pm

American Hustle - Honestly, I was bored stiff throughout most of this movie. A couple decent performances but the writing and plot was nothing to write home about and it seemed kind of disorganized. For a movie getting so much Oscar buzz, this one just didn't really have "it" to me. I had to make an effort to actually keep myself focused on what was happening throughout most of the movie. 6/10

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby VaderBomb » Jan 24, '14, 10:06 pm

Georgerv wrote:Last film I watched was Con Air, great film, I'd give it a solid 8/10

PorkChop is not going to be happy to read this...

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Jan 25, '14, 7:27 am

Everlong wrote:American Hustle - Honestly, I was bored stiff throughout most of this movie. A couple decent performances but the writing and plot was nothing to write home about and it seemed kind of disorganized. For a movie getting so much Oscar buzz, this one just didn't really have "it" to me. I had to make an effort to actually keep myself focused on what was happening throughout most of the movie. 6/10

Yep. I told you. What people see in this movie, I just don't know. It's a sloppily written, un-engaging mess of a script and the good performances don't make up for the dull, badly paced story and the characters that are impossible to relate to.

I can honestly say I was more invested in how the ice fishing story ended than how the actual movie ended, and then we never actually found out.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Jan 25, '14, 12:35 pm

Unforgiven
Been meaning to see this best picture winner for quite a while now as I'm a big fan of Clint Eastwood and westerns in general. It didn't disappoint. While I'm not entirely sure it holds up to the standard of most other best picture winners, it's still a ton of fun and there's a whole lot of badassery. Clint Eastwood is excellent in his portrayal of an ex-outlaw turned good trying to avoid returning to his roots, and Gene Hackman gives a great performance as the villainous sheriff. If you're feeling particularly manly some day, this is a good flick to throw in. Makes me wish there were more westerns being made these days. 8/10.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Kyle » Jan 26, '14, 7:38 pm

I liked American Hustle. Bale was better than I thought he would be and it was fun. 8/10.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Postby VaderBomb » Jan 27, '14, 11:48 pm

Inside Llewyn Davis - 9/10 - I loved this movie so much. Visually my favorite Coen brothers film and definitely in my top 5 favorites from them considering everything else. There's a lot of special magic going on within. I'm not going to say anything about it plot wise, but I recommend it whole heartedly. It's a brilliant little piece of poetry.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Jan 27, '14, 11:51 pm

VaderBomb wrote:Inside Llewyn Davis - 9/10 - I loved this movie so much. Visually my favorite Coen brothers film and definitely in my top 5 favorites from them considering everything else. There's a lot of special magic going on within. I'm not going to say anything about it plot wise, but I recommend it whole heartedly. It's a brilliant little piece of poetry.

Seeing this one within the next week or two, that definitely makes me look forward to it!

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Ace » Jan 28, '14, 12:42 am

Wolf of Wall Street

9.5/10

Great movie. Awesome movie. Great Martin Scorsese film with more comedy than some of his other films. Jonah Hill did an awesome job in this movie. DiCaprio did excellent & I'll be upset if he doesn't win an award for this movie. Although some of his other movies could have easily won an award. I really enjoyed Departed, Inception, Gatsby & obviously Titanic and this performance easily hits up there with those ones. Hopefully he'll get best actor.

Ace Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 35

Postby prophet » Feb 03, '14, 2:04 pm

VaderBomb wrote:Inside Llewyn Davis - 9/10 - I loved this movie so much. Visually my favorite Coen brothers film and definitely in my top 5 favorites from them considering everything else. There's a lot of special magic going on within. I'm not going to say anything about it plot wise, but I recommend it whole heartedly. It's a brilliant little piece of poetry.

I'd echo this. Saw Inside Llewyn Davis today and loved it. Great, breakout performance from Oscar Isaac and I'm suprised he didn't get nominated for an Academy Award. I preferred his performance in this than that of Bale's in American Hustle. The Coen's have the ability to draw in a great cast and it's unsurprising to see great turns from the likes of Mulligan, Goodman and Timberlake in smaller, supporting roles. I'd recommend this to both fans of folk music and those of you that simply enjoy good cinema. Keep your eyes peeled for a Bob Dylan shaped easter egg towards the end too!

8/10.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534

Postby ShaneOfan » Feb 03, '14, 2:33 pm

Watched "This is the End" was not a great movie in the sense that it should be nominated for awards but it was fucking hilarious and I loved the entire thing. 8/10

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Everlong » Feb 09, '14, 10:07 pm

Just watched "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." Now, I'd never read the book before somehow (it was huge when I was in high school, though), but I remember tons of kids when I was like 14 or 15 circa 2002 having that "I swear we are infinite" quote posted in their AIM profiles :P

I thought it was really, really good. Probably the truest "high school movie" to what my actual high school experience was. It did a really god job of displaying the stereotypical high school cliques in a way that wasn't really goofy or over the top, but rather pretty accurate. Also a lot of the issues that kids that age face that often get swept under the rug. The farther we get away from being 15, 16, 17, the easier it is to forget that that was a really complicated time in our lives. It's easy to rip on kids that age for being immature (which let's face it, they are), but it's also easier for us to forget what we were feeling at the time and how much it often felt like we had to go through. This movie does a great job of depicting that.

So yeah, I was impressed. Also, I thought Emma Watson was great as Sam. I never thought she was particularly impressive in the Harry Potter series, which was my only previous exposure to her as an actress, but she captured this character perfectly and actually showed a good deal of acting talent that hadn't shown through in Potter.So my opinion of her has definitely gone up after watching this.

8.5/10

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Ali » Feb 09, '14, 10:59 pm

Escape Plan

It's got Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone breaking out of an insanely high-security Science Fiction Super Prison! What more do you want?

Okay, fine. Stallone plays a security expert who breaks out of maximum security prisons and exposes the flaws. One day, someone comes up to him with the ultimate test: No preparation, no help, in a prison that is designed from his research to be inescapable! Now, of course, he can refuse, but he doesn't, because...

Anyway, things are not as they seem. When he arrives, he's completely broken down and tortured. He gives a code, but the Warden (Jim Caviezel) is having none of it. It turns out that this is a double-cross, and someone has paid the warden to keep Stallone in the prison forever. Why? Because...

So when he gets in, Stallone meets AHNULD! And that's when things get fun. Honestly, this movie is terrible without Arnold, who is just about the only person who realizes the movie he's in. Every single moment Arnold is on screen, he is fun to watch, and he brings whoever he's on screen with into his movie. The biggest problem with this movie is that everyone in it takes it seriously in completely different ways! Jim Caviezel thinks he's Hannibal Lecter, Vinnie Jones thinks he HAS a character, and Stallone thinks he's making another Great Escape. But whenever they're with Arnold, it's like he reminds them that they're in a stupid movie! He's the only one who's having fun in this, and he saves the movie.

In the end, this movie is Enjoyable Crap. It would be outright Crap if not for Arnold, who just brings his brand of charisma into it that makes it fun. If it's on TV and you're a fan of Arnold, check it out.

Also, 50 Cent is in this, and he's constantly grinning. Make of that what you will.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV