It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 7:55 am

Rate the last film that you've watched

Talk about movies and television in here!

Re: Rate the last film that you've watched

Postby ShaneOfan » Nov 20, '13, 4:27 pm

Camstud wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
Everlong wrote:Cabin in the Woods

Girlfriend wanted to watch a scary movie, so we watched this one. It was pretty unique in that it was sort of a horror movie within a horror movie, and offered some pretty great satire/commentary on the genre in general. It's not a great piece of art or anything by any means, but it was at least an enjoyable enough movie that has a lot of horror movie tropes but for a very specific purpose, which you come to realize by the end of the movie. 6.5/10

I watched this recently and hated it. I genuinely think it would have been a better film if they ditched the whole comedy stuff and just went down the horror route, instead of a collaboration of both.

My thoughts exactly.

Make that three of us.

Just watched "The Europa Project." Great little sci-fi movie on Netflix. Shot in the "found footage" style but that does not mean blurry shaky camera work. Best sci-fo I have seen since "Moon" and "Sunshine" 8/10

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 260

Postby Settee » Nov 21, '13, 8:46 pm

The Legend wrote:The Hangover 3, 4/10 it was truly awful and a disgrace to the Hangover movie franchise.

I enojoyed it more than the 2nd one. I felt that the second was pretty much the same shit as the first, while the third at least went a different route.

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 49

Postby Everlong » Nov 21, '13, 9:18 pm

Girlfriend had off work today and she wanted to go see Thor 2 because she's huge into Marvel stuff (and Chris Hemsworth, heh). I wasn't super interested in it because I'm kind of burnt out on superhero movies, but I enjoyed the first one as well as The Avengers so I figured well, why not.

It wasn't amazing and didn't quite live up to the first one, but I still enjoyed it, and more than I thought I would. The dynamic between Thor and Loki in this one was pretty excellent, and they actually gave Natalie Portman's character more of a purpose this time around, so that was nice :lol. There weren't quite as many moments spread throughout the movie as there are in the first where you really get some laughs, but they do come toward the end in what I thought was a really fun final half hour. If you go into it just hoping for a decent popcorn flick, this isn't a bad choice. I don't regret paying matinee price for it anyway. I'd give it a 7/10.

The movie I'm more looking forward to, which I"ll hopefully be seeing next weekend, is the new Hunger Games movie.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Messiah » Nov 24, '13, 4:22 am

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 9.5/10

A fantastic movie and better than the first one without a doubt. It may be a bit of a drag at times and without going into to details, there is one thing I quite disliked, but otherwise it was pretty damn awesome.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby ShaneOfan » Nov 24, '13, 8:44 am

Watched Zoolander again last night. Always a fun watch. 7/10

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby PorkChop » Nov 24, '13, 9:35 am

Sinister - 6/10

Was quite scary until it got silly. I won't spoil it, though certain aspects of the story were just quite lame. It kept me interested, but could have unfolded a lot better than it did. I jumped quite a few times though. For a cheap suspense/horror it wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't watch it again.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Camstud » Nov 24, '13, 1:04 pm

Watched Snatch the other day, forgot what a great film it is. So many one-liners and great characters throughout.

9/10

prophet wrote:
HFX wrote:
Viazon wrote:Fuck Nandos. Go to the meat counter in Tescos. You can get a whole chicken for not that much. Ready cooked. Me and my friends used to get them all the time then just eat them in the car.

Man I always think you can't get more weird and then you say something else :lol

The image of Viazon and his equally odd mates all sat outside the supermarket eating chicken together in the car is too much :lol
Camstud None specified
B+ Player
B+ Player

Topics: 36

Postby prophet » Nov 28, '13, 9:53 am

Hunger Games 2 - 9/10.

I'm not even sure why I scored it so high. It was just a thoroughly entertaining film that never got boring.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Dec 01, '13, 3:07 pm

prophet wrote:Hunger Games 2 - 9/10.

I'm not even sure why I scored it so high. It was just a thoroughly entertaining film that never got boring.

I saw this last night and I'd probably give it a 7 at best. I felt it could have been much, much better than it was.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Dec 02, '13, 9:21 am

I just saw the new Hunger Games movie and thought it was fantastic, perhaps even better than the first one. They've done a really good job of translating the movies to the screen and making them easy to follow for people who haven't read the books, as well. Already looking forward to the next one.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby PorkChop » Dec 02, '13, 10:01 am

Everlong wrote:I just saw the new Hunger Games movie and thought it was fantastic, perhaps even better than the first one. They've done a really good job of translating the movies to the screen and making them easy to follow for people who haven't read the books, as well. Already looking forward to the next one.

I should preface this by saying I haven't read the books - however, I didn't like the amount of politics in the second film. I felt they could have cut about half an hour of it out and added a bit more time to the games. I felt a lot of those scenes were repetitive and basically carbon copies of scenes we'd seen in the first film. Another problem I had with it is that Peeta is just such an unlikeable character. He only seems to have one facial expression and grates on me. SPOILERS AHEAD

[hide]I also found plenty of the film's outcomes painfully obvious and predictable. It was obvious the old woman was going to die, so when she did I was kind of relieved as the film could move on. It was obvious at the end that Peeta would go missing once him and Katniss were separated, obvious that the 'head guy' of the games was secretly on Katniss' side... I was just left underwhelmed. The most unpredictable part of the film was after Katniss is violently thrown off the spinning cornucopia into the water, she still somehow managed to keep all of her arrows.[/hide]

I felt the film could have been amazing, but was just a filler before the big finale. I suppose it's more of a criticism of the book more than anything, as obviously the film has to follow what happens in the book. I just didn't like it. Repetitive political scenes, and plenty of predictable outcomes. I'd still give it a 7 as it's an entertaining watch, but I don't think it's the masterpiece that many people make it out to be.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Dec 02, '13, 10:08 am

^The entire point of the series as a whole IS the politics. This comes especially into focus in the third book, but in the second book really the Games are a bit of an afterthought compared to the coming revolution. And that's reflected in the whole "remember who the real enemy is" mentality.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby prophet » Dec 02, '13, 5:13 pm

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - 7/10

Critic-wise this film hasn't done so well but I really enjoyed it. The story at times can seem a little hollow and there perhaps is a real lack of 'something' that I can't quite put my finger on just yet, it might be lacking a bit emotionally. At times, visually, the film is stunning and it's very well directed by Stiller. I'd recommend checking this out if the trailer appealed to you in any way.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Settee » Dec 03, '13, 5:10 pm

Kick-ass 2 7.5/10
While not as good as the first, this movie was still quite enjoyable. I would have given it an 8 but the shaky camera during the action scenes bothered me as you couldn't quite tell what was happening at certain moments. This movie is worth watching if you enjoyed the first.

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 49

Postby Westcoastvibes » Dec 03, '13, 11:34 pm

Pacific Rim - 6/10

I was skeptical about it, the previews made it look like a cheap Godzilla remake of sorts. I must say I was proved wrong, it was a decent movie. CGI was well done, action was good and the story flowed well without huge plot holes.

I would recommend watching it if you have spare time

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby VaderBomb » Dec 04, '13, 12:36 am

Mad Monster Party - 8/10
One of the best Rankin/Bass specials and technically mind-blowing considering the sheer amount of stop motion.

Rambo: First Blood Part 2 - 6/10
My girlfriend had never seen Rambo so we had to do it. First Blood is a much better film but the sequel is serious fun.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Postby VaderBomb » Dec 14, '13, 11:53 am

Ugetsu - 10/10

Pretty much as perfect as movies can get. A haunting masterpiece from the greatest of all Japanese directors.

Die Hard - 7.5/10

One of the best big budget Hollywood action movies ever made and despite what my girlfriend says... Die Hard is not a 'buddy cop movie'.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 15, '13, 7:38 pm

Hobbit, Desolation of Smaug - 8/10

Better than the first, some funny moments and cool action sequences. Like the first film, things I wasn't a fan of were some things that weren't in the book: Felt Tauriel's and Kili's love drama was unnecessary and could have been excluded from the film.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby xgamr » Dec 16, '13, 11:59 am

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil - 7/10

Skyfall 8.5/10

xgamr None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 21

Postby prophet » Dec 16, '13, 12:09 pm

KaiserGlider wrote:Hobbit, Desolation of Smaug - 8/10

Better than the first, some funny moments and cool action sequences. Like the first film, things I wasn't a fan of were some things that weren't in the book: Felt Tauriel's and Kili's love drama was unnecessary and could have been excluded from the film.

I'd pretty much agree with this although I'd lean towards a 9/10. Looking forward to re-watching it again on Wednesday after which I'll be able to properly make up my mind. I understand where you're coming from with regards to Tauriel and Kili but in saying that I understand why they've created a romance there. The only thing missing from the film would've been a love story had it not been included. Ed Sheeran's song during the credits is brilliant too, so check that out if any of you stay right to the end.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV