It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 5:13 am

What's a TV show that you think would actually translate into a good movie?

Talk about movies and television in here!

What's a TV show that you think would actually translate into a good movie?

Postby Everlong » Feb 13, '14, 9:34 pm

There have been a lot of terrible TV show to movie translations over the years, but not a whole lot of great ones. Are there any that you can think of that have NOT already been translated to the big screen that would work well?

I've been rewatching Chuck lately and had the thought that with how quickly that show ran out of steam after about 2.5 seasons, the premise could have just as easily have been made into a movie or two and I think it'd have done quite well.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: What's a TV show that you think would actually translate into a good movie?

Postby CMPUNKFAN » Feb 13, '14, 9:51 pm

To this day I think they could of made a very good Sopranos movie. I was upset that it never happen.

CMPUNKFAN Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 119

Postby Westcoastvibes » Feb 13, '14, 10:20 pm

I was thinking Sons of Anarchy, but after so many seasons they have already surpassed anything that could be done in a movie. What could be done though, is a movie set pre SOA, the story of how it began

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Matteo » Feb 14, '14, 1:15 am

Malcolm in the Middle.

The film could be about the family reuniting together to go on a family vacation and then fucking up like they always do.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

Postby Kyle » Feb 14, '14, 1:20 am

NoDQ wrote:Malcolm in the Middle.

The film could be about the family reuniting together to go on a family vacation and then fucking up like they always do.

"How mild-mannered father Hal turns into a sociopathic meth kingpin after he gets cancer."

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Postby Chewy » Feb 15, '14, 12:42 am

The first season of Dexter.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby ShaneOfan » Feb 15, '14, 8:53 am

Archer.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Hanley! » Feb 15, '14, 10:43 am

I agree with Chewy about Dexter Season 1. The first 4 seasons of that show were good, it was only in the latter half of the show's run that it became terrible. But even still, the first season is so much better than everything that came after it that I sometimes wish they had ended things there. That they had just run it as a mini-series or something. So I think a movie based on that one plot could potentially be really good.

I'm hoping Veronica Mars makes for a good movie too, as I'll be seeing that one soon. The show typically executed its overarching plots quite nicely, so hopefully that will translate into making a compelling movie plot once all of the "story of the week" stuff has been stripped away.

I could see House of Cards working as a film. You see films covering stories like this every now and then, but rarely executed as well. Whether that's a script problem, or whether its just a hard genre to pull off in movie form I don't really know.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Feb 15, '14, 11:04 am

How I Met Your Mother I think would have been a better concept as a movie than it was as a TV show so I'd definitely say that one.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Feb 15, '14, 11:10 am

The Legend wrote:How I Met Your Mother I think would have been a better concept as a movie than it was as a TV show so I'd definitely say that one.

It sounds like it would work based on the show's title, but I actually don't think How I Met Your Mother would work as well as a movie. What made the show great during the early seasons was the mystery, the continuity nods, the nostalgic tone, the parts of the story that had obviously been slightly altered either for embellishment or to hide something from the children ... I think a lot of that would be lost in movie format.

A movie would probably also iron out some of the flaws of the television show (particularly those that developed the longer the show ran), but it would eliminate a lot of the magic. Just my opinion though. I'm weighing in on this one because I had briefly considered bringing up How I Met Your Mother as an example myself, before deciding that I wouldn't be too optimistic about it.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Kreashko » Jun 26, '16, 9:48 am

King Of Queens. The way it ended could set up for a nice 2 hour true ending of the series.

Also The Walking Dead.

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Return to Movies and TV