It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 9:06 am

What TV show did you try to watch but gave up on?

Talk about movies and television in here!

What TV show did you try to watch but gave up on?

Postby Everlong » Feb 06, '14, 7:24 pm

I had to give up on the 8th season of Dexter, but that doesn't really count :P

There are a few shows that were on TV in recent years that had really a really interesting premise but really terrible execution. Off the top of my head, these include:

-Revolution
-Terra Nova
-Flashforward
-The Event

I watched the first couple episodes of each of these, but couldn't stick with them.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: What TV show did you try to watch but gave up on?

Postby Daz » Feb 06, '14, 7:28 pm

All of the above.

Revolution was just poppycock of the highest order. I barely managed to make it through the pilot and then felt the need to unburden myself with a rant on just how bad it sucked.

I wish I'd given up on Lost post season 3. I'm still dizzy from all the eye rolling I did in the final three seasons.

I nearly gave up on mad men and breaking bad. breaking bad, incredibly well written show but it took me about three seasons to actually give a fuck. it really just didn't click with me at all for the longest time. mad men, again it was kinda the same thing. incredible show in almost every aspect, but it felt like nothing happened ... and I thought it was weird they were always showing the little girls underwear ... wtf was with that?

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby ShaneOfan » Feb 06, '14, 7:39 pm

Everlong wrote:I had to give up on the 8th season of Dexter, but that doesn't really count :P

There are a few shows that were on TV in recent years that had really a really interesting premise but really terrible execution. Off the top of my head, these include:

-Revolution
-Terra Nova
-Flashforward
-The Event

I watched the first couple episodes of each of these, but couldn't stick with them.

All of the above...

-Big Bang Theory got redundant
-Same for HIMYM
-Dexter was horrible.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Kein » Feb 06, '14, 10:58 pm

I hardly watch television these days but the last one I remember being into beforehand and then totally giving up on was 24. Other shows I like but never finished cause I fell out of touch, or caught up to the current season and never bothered to keep up with it. I am more of the kind of person that gets the whole season and watches it all at once rather than watch it as it airs.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby Westcoastvibes » Feb 06, '14, 11:53 pm

Arrow - could not get into it at all
Supernatural - got 3 seasons in and just lost interest for no reason
American pickers - about the time they start sheepishly putting subway plugs in the show I stopped
Storage wars - when the whole law suit bullshit popped up over staged lockers I lost interest
Tickle - ugh were do I start? It was a novel idea and I was excited for the show to start after seeing previews. When I caught the first 2/3 episodes it was obvious the whole thing was a sham. I know most reality shows are a sham in some way but at least the try to make it realistic, this show was just vomiting fake/scripted/endorsements everywhere. It also didn't help that it felt like a deeper more redneck version of dukes of hazard without car chases.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby PorkChop » Feb 07, '14, 7:50 am

Lost - it was good before it became a clusterfuck of shit.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby ShaneOfan » Feb 07, '14, 8:16 am

Westcoastvibes wrote:Arrow - could not get into it at all
American pickers - about the time they start sheepishly putting subway plugs in the show I stopped
Storage wars - when the whole law suit bullshit popped up over staged lockers I lost interest
Tickle - ugh were do I start? It was a novel idea and I was excited for the show to start after seeing previews. When I caught the first 2/3 episodes it was obvious the whole thing was a sham. I know most reality shows are a sham in some way but at least the try to make it realistic, this show was just vomiting fake/scripted/endorsements everywhere. It also didn't help that it felt like a deeper more redneck version of dukes of hazard without car chases.

Arrow was boring as shit.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Westcoastvibes » Feb 07, '14, 9:24 am

ShaneOfan wrote:
Westcoastvibes wrote:Arrow - could not get into it at all

Arrow was boring as shit.

I think it would have been much better if they did it more like a spin off from smallville using the same guy that played oliver queen from smallville and the same feel.
By switching actors and having no reference to the show that sparked its creation they essentially started with a curious fan base instead of a loyal fan base. In the end the curiosity faded away and people didn't like it

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Hanley! » Feb 07, '14, 12:54 pm

I gave up on Big Bang Theory ages ago, but I still catch the occasional episode when there's absolutely nothing else to do. The thing about that show is it's not getting worse: it's just that every episode is exactly the same. Every character has approximately one joke that they do every single episode. It's pointless watching every week.

V is one I gave up on pretty quickly. Morena Baccarin did a great job at playing a creepy villain, but that was the sole highlight of the entire show. Also the main character (Juliet from Lost) is probably the worst actress I've ever seen. And I'm not exaggerating. She is just awful. I don't understand how she's still getting cast in major television roles.

True Blood is one I gave up on several seasons ago, and I'm still mad that I didn't give up sooner. It seemed like it had potential based on the first season and the second season had two main plots, one of which was really entertaining and one which was god awful. But the entertaining disappeared pretty rapidly. This show got silly bad. It genuinely seemed like the creators must have been trying to make it as terrible as possible, because it soon had no redeeming features whatsoever. There were far too many characters, too many storylines going on at once so it lacked focus, it was ridiculously HBO, the characters were all idiots, it was littered with contrivances and deus ex machina, and gang rape was played for laughs across several episodes. Dear fucking fuck, this was a bad show. Is this still going?

I gave up on Walking Dead after Season 1, because most of the season was boring, and the finale was retarded. How do you make such a mess of a really simple concept with relatively decent source material?

Gave up on 24 after a few episodes. It wasn't bad really, I just found it all kinda samey. I wasn't gripped by the story, I didn't feel the tension there. I don't really see what the big deal about the show is.

Gave up on Supernatural quite quickly too. It just didn't do anything to hook me. I found it pretty boring for a show with that kind of premise.

PorkChop wrote:Lost - it was good before it became a clusterfuck of shit.

Wish I had your smarts. I stuck with it until the end, not out of any kind of optimism, but more out of a morbid curiosity. I had to see whether or not the show managed to redeem itself at the end. I'm kind of amazed by how desperately it failed to do so.

Dexter is another one that I should have given up on. 4 seasons of good television followed by 4 seasons of shit. It's crazy that it managed to get so bad so quickly.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Locke » Feb 07, '14, 1:23 pm

I only watch:

Once Upon A Time
Agents of SHIELD

I gave up on:

Everything else

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby Hanley! » Feb 07, '14, 4:31 pm

Locke wrote:I only watch:

Once Upon A Time
Agents of SHIELD

I gave up on:

Everything else

You didn't give up on 'Once Upon A Time'? :P That's another one I should have had on my list. I only made it through one or two episodes.

I was interested in the concept, before I realised that they specifically intended to take fairy tale characters and just make them really fucking boring. I think this show represents pop culture's current dark & gritty fad at its most irritating. Taking things that are colourful and vibrant and interesting and making them dull as fuck, and then casting that bland chick from House as the main character.

Ugh.

I also kind of resent the show for being too similar in concept to the graphic novel Fables. It makes me feel like it's now less likely that we'll ever get a Fables television show. And while I was not exactly expecting that to happen anyway, I would be ecstatic if it did. Those graphic novels are well worth the read for anyone interested in that kind of thing.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby RatedRBowler » Feb 07, '14, 4:48 pm

Hanley! wrote:
Locke wrote:I only watch:

Once Upon A Time
Agents of SHIELD

I gave up on:

Everything else

You didn't give up on 'Once Upon A Time'? :P That's another one I should have had on my list. I only made it through one or two episodes.

I was interested in the concept, before I realised that they specifically intended to take fairy tale characters and just make them really fucking boring. I think this show represents pop culture's current dark & gritty fad at its most irritating. Taking things that are colourful and vibrant and interesting and making them dull as fuck, and then casting that bland chick from House as the main character.

Ugh.

I also kind of resent the show for being too similar in concept to the graphic novel Fables. It makes me feel like it's now less likely that we'll ever get a Fables television show. And while I was not exactly expecting that to happen anyway, I would be ecstatic if it did. Those graphic novels are well worth the read for anyone interested in that kind of thing.

Entirely off-topic but I've been wanting to read Fables. In a very roundabout way I've become interested. I'm a huge fan of TWD and I LOVE Telltale's video game of it so when The Wolf Among Us came out, I started that up and now I'm very interested in that world and the comics. Anyways, I do have a few questions about that if you don't mind answering quick.

1) Is the series still ongoing?
2) Is Bigby Wolf a prominent character in the comics? (I really like him in the game.)
3) Can you just tell me what about it makes it worth the read? Besides the concept I guess, which is very interesting. I've been a huge comic book reader since about 2004 so the format is no stranger to me just to be clear.

GO PACK GO!!!!!!!

Thanks to Tim for both of my awesome sigs!!
RatedRBowler Male
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 4

Postby Settee » Feb 07, '14, 5:27 pm

Does Raw count?

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 49

Postby Hanley! » Feb 07, '14, 7:16 pm

RatedRBowler wrote:Entirely off-topic but I've been wanting to read Fables. In a very roundabout way I've become interested. I'm a huge fan of TWD and I LOVE Telltale's video game of it so when The Wolf Among Us came out, I started that up and now I'm very interested in that world and the comics. Anyways, I do have a few questions about that if you don't mind answering quick.

1) Is the series still ongoing?
2) Is Bigby Wolf a prominent character in the comics? (I really like him in the game.)
3) Can you just tell me what about it makes it worth the read? Besides the concept I guess, which is very interesting. I've been a huge comic book reader since about 2004 so the format is no stranger to me just to be clear.

1) Yes, the series is still going. It's gotten quite popular, so there's even some stand alone graphic novels from the same universe now outside of the main story, and one character also got his own spin off series. It doesn't look like ending any time soon.

2) Yes, he's one of the biggest characters in the comics. If I was forced to say there was a main character, I would say that it was him. But it's not that kind of series really. He is a really great character, and insanely badass throughout the comics.

3) There are a lot of things the comics do really well. They have some very interesting characters - they take old fairy tale characters and put an interesting spin on them. Certain character traits are embellished to form a new impression on a well known character, and it's handled quite cleverly.

I'll give you an example: Prince Charming is one of the major characters of Fables. As you know, "Prince Charming" has been the love interest in a lot of fairy tales over the years. So in Fables, he's a womanizer. He's been married to Rapunzel & Snow White & Cinderella, and none of them like him very much any more.

Some evil characters from fairy tales are now good and some good characters from fairy tales are now evil, as you've probably already realised based on Bigby alone. Witch hunter Hansel is a fun example of a good character turned evil, and on the opposite side you have Frau Totenkinder who's one of my favourite characters.

There's a really strong central story, about these Fables being driven out of the Fable lands into the real world where they have to keep their origins secret from the rest of the world. Their slow-burning fight against the Adversary who drove them out of their homes is really compelling and filled with little mysteries and reveals.

The art is also really pretty. There's a specific style that tends to be used in all of the stories set in our world, but often when they set a story in one of the Fable lands, they'll switch up the art style, so there are always new pretties to look at. :P

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby RatedRBowler » Feb 08, '14, 12:19 am

Hanley! wrote:1) Yes, the series is still going. It's gotten quite popular, so there's even some stand alone graphic novels from the same universe now outside of the main story, and one character also got his own spin off series. It doesn't look like ending any time soon.

2) Yes, he's one of the biggest characters in the comics. If I was forced to say there was a main character, I would say that it was him. But it's not that kind of series really. He is a really great character, and insanely badass throughout the comics.

3) There are a lot of things the comics do really well. They have some very interesting characters - they take old fairy tale characters and put an interesting spin on them. Certain character traits are embellished to form a new impression on a well known character, and it's handled quite cleverly.

I'll give you an example: Prince Charming is one of the major characters of Fables. As you know, "Prince Charming" has been the love interest in a lot of fairy tales over the years. So in Fables, he's a womanizer. He's been married to Rapunzel & Snow White & Cinderella, and none of them like him very much any more.

Some evil characters from fairy tales are now good and some good characters from fairy tales are now evil, as you've probably already realised based on Bigby alone. Witch hunter Hansel is a fun example of a good character turned evil, and on the opposite side you have Frau Totenkinder who's one of my favourite characters.

There's a really strong central story, about these Fables being driven out of the Fable lands into the real world where they have to keep their origins secret from the rest of the world. Their slow-burning fight against the Adversary who drove them out of their homes is really compelling and filled with little mysteries and reveals.

The art is also really pretty. There's a specific style that tends to be used in all of the stories set in our world, but often when they set a story in one of the Fable lands, they'll switch up the art style, so there are always new pretties to look at. :P

Appreciate the in-depth response. Honestly, it sounds really good and my interest has already been climbing rapidly, now it's just gone up even more. The art style sounds particularly cool, I really like that idea of changing it for the Fable stuff. I'll probably look into reading in when I get some time in the next month or so.

GO PACK GO!!!!!!!

Thanks to Tim for both of my awesome sigs!!
RatedRBowler Male
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 4

Postby Ace » Feb 08, '14, 12:52 am

Settee321 wrote:Does Raw count?

Was about to say the same thing :lol

Ace Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 35
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Racing Guy » Feb 08, '14, 2:12 am

The Walking Dead. I just don't see what everyone else does.

Racing Guy Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

Topics: 21

Postby JDD » Feb 08, '14, 9:35 am

I wish i could say i gave up on the 8th season of Dexter like Tim. Im still mad about how shit tht was. Everytime one of my friends say they're going to start watching Dexter i make sure to tell them to stop after season 4 :lol

As for shows i gave up on, HIMYM is one. It just got pretty repetitive and unfunny. Although i might catch up on the final season just to watch the finale and see how it all ends.

Agents of Shield too. Watched maybe 3 or 4 episodes and just found it boring. Dont plannon watching it anymore.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby Viazon » Feb 08, '14, 9:42 am

The Jungle Book TV series. It just wasn't as good as the movie.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Westcoastvibes » Feb 08, '14, 9:52 am

Racing Guy wrote:The Walking Dead. I just don't see what everyone else does.

For me the show is more of a release from reality than a search for plot/story

As long as the story somewhat makes sense and the acting is not atrocious then its fun to see zombies getting killed in the hundreds. Plus the writers always try to outdo themselves with signature kills each week so there is always something you have not seen.
Its just a fun escape from the normal bullshit that is always on

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Next

Return to Movies and TV