It is currently: May 11, '24, 8:27 pm

What movies considered masterpieces disappointed you?

Talk about movies and television in here!

What movies considered masterpieces disappointed you?

Postby Everlong » Oct 11, '13, 1:19 pm

We've all probably had an experience where we watched a movie that was thought of as being a cinematic masterpiece, but then finished it and thought "Wait, what's the big deal?"

So what's your example?

For me, it's Pulp Fiction. I never really understood the praise. It has some neat visuals and funny lines, but I found it to be, for the most part, an utter mess.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: What movies considered masterpieces disappointed you?

Postby Hanley! » Oct 11, '13, 1:25 pm

Stanley Kubrick. Just in general. Giant 'eh' to most of his stuff.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby JDD » Oct 11, '13, 1:27 pm

Star Wars bores me. Never was a fan of any of them.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby Daz » Oct 11, '13, 1:47 pm

Hanley! wrote:Stanley Kubrick. Just in general. Giant 'eh' to most of his stuff.

Thank Christ I'm not the only one.

I also agree with Pulp Fiction (I'm not a huge Tarantino fan in general.) For me if you cut the Bruce Willis stuff, it's a better movie. It's just an excessive detour that doesn't really add much to proceedings.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby ShaneOfan » Oct 11, '13, 1:54 pm

Hanley! wrote:Stanley Kubrick. Just in general. Giant 'eh' to most of his stuff.

Yeah I agree. NoDQ would throw a fit but most of his movies are either boring or way over thought.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Oct 11, '13, 2:24 pm

WHAT!?!?! :facepalm

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby Kyle » Oct 11, '13, 4:07 pm

I like Pulp Fiction just for the extended opening scene with Travolta and Jackson alone.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Postby Viazon » Oct 11, '13, 4:19 pm

Citizen Kane. What a snore fest.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby rawisjericho » Oct 12, '13, 6:16 pm

^ Citizen Kane was on TCM a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't make it through the whole thing. I find the first Star Trek and Jaws very boring, too. I don't see the big deal with any of them. The Harry Potter movies aren't considered masterpieces, but I couldn't get into any of them, either. Maybe it's my ADHD.

rawisjericho None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 7

Postby Locke » Oct 12, '13, 6:58 pm

Just about anything from Quentin Tarantino is super overrated to me.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby VaderBomb » Oct 13, '13, 12:36 am

Stanley Kubrick is one of the few true geniuses of the cinema. Barry Lyndon is his best, his most epic, and his most perfect film, don't knock him until you've seen that film. He is a master of the form.

Casablanca is an extremely overrated film. It's great, but nowhere neat the best film ever made. Bogart was much much better in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Maltese Falcon, and In a Lonely Place. Now those are masterpieces. Casablanca, not so much. I have many more to list but I'll wait.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Daz » Oct 13, '13, 3:25 am

The Maltese Falcon is the shit.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby PorkChop » Oct 13, '13, 4:48 am

Locke wrote:Just about anything from Quentin Tarantino is super overrated to me.

Agreed.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Hanley! » Oct 13, '13, 6:16 am

VaderBomb wrote:Stanley Kubrick is one of the few true geniuses of the cinema. Barry Lyndon is his best, his most epic, and his most perfect film, don't knock him until you've seen that film. He is a master of the form.

After seeing how overrated 2001: a Space Odyssey, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Dr Strangelove and Eyes Wide Shut all were, I'm not in a hurry to see anything else by him. So I'll have to continue knocking him without having seen that film.

I was once interested in seeing A Clockwork Orange, because it looked interesting and like the kind of thing I would enjoy. But once I realised that it was a Kubrick film and that I had never really enjoyed anything of his that I had seen, that quickly put me off the idea. I wouldn't willingly watch one of his movies at this point unless it was for research purposes or something like that.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Camstud » Oct 13, '13, 7:05 am

Hanley! wrote:
VaderBomb wrote:Stanley Kubrick is one of the few true geniuses of the cinema. Barry Lyndon is his best, his most epic, and his most perfect film, don't knock him until you've seen that film. He is a master of the form.

After seeing how overrated 2001: a Space Odyssey, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Dr Strangelove and Eyes Wide Shut all were, I'm not in a hurry to see anything else by him. So I'll have to continue knocking him without having seen that film.

I was once interested in seeing A Clockwork Orange, because it looked interesting and like the kind of thing I would enjoy. But once I realised that it was a Kubrick film and that I had never really enjoyed anything of his that I had seen, that quickly put me off the idea. I wouldn't willingly watch one of his movies at this point unless it was for research purposes or something like that.

2001 was awful.

prophet wrote:
HFX wrote:
Viazon wrote:Fuck Nandos. Go to the meat counter in Tescos. You can get a whole chicken for not that much. Ready cooked. Me and my friends used to get them all the time then just eat them in the car.

Man I always think you can't get more weird and then you say something else :lol

The image of Viazon and his equally odd mates all sat outside the supermarket eating chicken together in the car is too much :lol
Camstud None specified
B+ Player
B+ Player

Topics: 36

Postby UTK » Oct 13, '13, 8:29 am

Hanley! wrote:

If you badmouth Full Metal Jacket again I will kill you.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ShaneOfan » Oct 13, '13, 8:54 am

UTK wrote:
Hanley! wrote:

It's not horrible but it is far from a great movie.

Join the PCW!

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby UTK » Oct 13, '13, 8:54 am

ShaneOfan wrote:
UTK wrote:
Hanley! wrote:

You are also on my hitlist.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ShaneOfan » Oct 13, '13, 8:59 am

UTK wrote:
ShaneOfan wrote:
UTK wrote:
Hanley! wrote:

You are also on my hitlist.

Okay I'll bite why do you think it's so great?

Join the PCW!

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Oct 13, '13, 9:11 am

UTK wrote:
Hanley! wrote:

It sucks. Come at me bro.

In fairness, I thought The Shining and Full Metal Jacket were okay. Not horrible, just okay. Still really overrated though. And in the case of The Shining, this is coming from someone who is a massive Jack Nicholson fan.

The others I just really strongly disliked.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Next

Return to Movies and TV