It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 7:08 am

How come Steve Austin's Hollywood career didn't take off?

Talk about movies and television in here!

How come Steve Austin's Hollywood career didn't take off?

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 01, '18, 9:40 am

Despite being the biggest star and one of the greatest mic workers in the history of the business, Stone Cold's movie roles were never as good or successful as The Rock's, Batista's, and arguably even John Cena's as of late. Was it just bad luck, getting stuck with shitty scrips where he was miscast? He barely did anything in The Expendables and The Condemned was forgettable. In another film of his that I caught on TV once, he played an ex-convict that got wrapped up with drug dealers and then had to fight underground to make enough money to save a kid's life or something, I forget what the plot was. What I do remember was that he played a generic strong/silent anti-hero type and had minimal dialogue. I remember thinking, "you have Stone motherfucking Cold starring in your movie and that's all you give him?" Austin has more range than that. Or maybe he just did in wrestling.

Looking at his filmography, from about 2010-2014 he was in a bunch of direct-to-DVD action flicks that nobody saw. Hasn't been in any films since then. Will there ever be a good resurgence of Stone Cold in movies or was he just never that passionate about it and gave up on a Hollywood career?

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Re: How come Steve Austin's Hollywood career didn't take off?

Postby The Legend » Sep 01, '18, 9:49 am

Austin just isn't that good of a mainstream actor. Even in life he plays the same character and doesn't have much range.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 01, '18, 9:57 pm

I think he's said that he struggled to remember his lines and found out that hosting reality competition shows/his podcast are more enjoyable for him and it's not like he needs the acting money anyway.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Sep 02, '18, 5:02 am

It seems strange because he was a better actor inside the confines of pro-wrestling than the Rock was. But the Rock was a special case; he had a lot of movie star charm which is why he ended up breaking Hollywood. He learned to become a better actor afterwards. Austin didn't have that. He was more compelling than anyone when it came to Monday Night Raw, but I couldn't imagine him hosting Saturday Night Live.

Cena has a little sliver of the charm that Rock had, which is why he's doing pretty well these days. I think Batista just lucked into the right role and went from there. But his body was a big part of it too. Not a lot of actors had the physique they wanted for Drax. And now that he's established, he doesn't have to compete with too many others for those kinds of roles.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Return to Movies and TV