It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 9:30 am

Avengers Infinity War

Talk about movies and television in here!

Avengers Infinity War

Postby Everlong » Apr 30, '18, 12:37 pm

Who's seen it? Thoughts?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Avengers Infinity War

Postby Hanley! » Apr 30, '18, 1:28 pm

Not bothered seeing it personally. I did hear about some of the bigger moments in the film though.

I liked Black Panther earlier this year, so I'm a little more positive on the MCU than before. But neither the recent Marvel films or the promotional material for this one did anything to make me want to watch Infinity War. Up until now Thanos has been very dull in both concept and execution. And the set-up of Infinity War seems destined to accentuate the problems that already existed in previous Avengers films: overstuffed, too many characters to serve any of them properly, jarring shifts in tone, too long for an action blockbuster.

That's not a criticism of the actual film, as I haven't seen it. More a criticism of the previous films and what I'd be expecting from this one as a result: particularly due to the even greater number of disparate characters, and the years-long build towards Thanos.

Reviews seem to be mostly glowing among fans, and decent among film critics. But the same could be said for Civil War, and I thought that film was trash. So I don't feel any more compelled to watch it as a result.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » May 05, '18, 6:51 pm

Haven't seen it yet, but I do know the plot and have watched some leaked scenes on Youtube. Based on everything I've seen/heard it looks like the movie absolutely delivers on all counts and Thanos is handled extremely well. It's been nearly impossible to avoid spoilers because moments and lines from the film are constantly being referenced all across the internet. It has obviously made a big impact (also just reached the milestone of being the fastest movie to gross $1 billion) and I'm glad that Marvel was able to pull this off (yet again). I too would be interested in hearing what other people here thought and what their predictions are for Avengers 4 next year.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Everlong » May 06, '18, 7:32 am

I guess I don't want to say too much until I know more people have seen it :lol

I enjoyed it. Like with most Marvel movies, I wasn't blown away or anything, but I think this is one of the stronger entries into the MCU, and it's largely because of Thanos. Felt like the first time there was ever truly anything at stake for the heroes, and that's because Thanos was a badass villain. He didn't have motivations for world domination or anything like that, which instantly made him more appealing than the vast majority of other villains we tend to get in these movies. And Josh Brolin did a great job with him.

There were, as always, jokes that didn't land (most involving the Guardians, which is already by far the weakest Marvel franchise IMO), and it felt a little overlong sometimes. But in general I think they handled it quite well given the scope, and it felt like there was some good payoff to the stories they've been building. Interested to see how they handle the next one.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » May 06, '18, 4:17 pm

I really enjoyed. It wasn't absolutely amazing but I really enjoyed. That's always been my thoughts on most of the Marvel films. Even as a comic book fan, very few of them have been very amazing. But all of them have been fun and enjoyable. And that's all you can ask for in a movie. I feel like they handled the huge cast very well. Some characters had less to do than others but that was expected. I still felt like every character had something decent to do. Personally I liked the comedic parts of it. Maybe I have a weirder sense of humour than most but I giggled a fair bit. Maybe it helps that I really like the Guardians of the Galaxy. Which, conversely to Tim's views, I actually think is one of the better Marvel franchises. The stand out part of the movie was easily Thanos. I also liked how they made him seem more "human" so to speak. What with the interactions he has with Gamora. Those are always the best kind of villains. It's easy to write a villain when you write him as a complete psychopath who just hates and wants to kill everything. It's always better for me when they show they are capable of caring and loving someone. I think another stand out character for me was Thor. I enjoyed every scene he was in. I mean, how bad arse was he in this movie!

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby KaiserGlider » May 06, '18, 11:42 pm

Viazon wrote:I think another stand out character for me was Thor. I enjoyed every scene he was in. I mean, how bad arse was he in this movie!

Thor has really improved as a character. I saw Ragnarok recently and he was tremendous in it. And now after Infinity War a lot of people are saying that he's their favorite Avenger.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Everlong » May 07, '18, 9:03 am

Thor was always my favorite avenger :tim #hipster

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Return to Movies and TV