It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 5:19 am

Spiderman: Homecoming is a reminder of what Marvel should be

Talk about movies and television in here!

Spiderman: Homecoming is a reminder of what Marvel should be

Postby Everlong » Jul 16, '17, 1:24 pm

Just got out of Spiderman: Homecoming and I thought it was excellent. Which I've probably only said about 2-3 other MCU movies before.

My biggest criticisms with the MCU movies tend to be:

-More jokes miss than land (this has especially been a huge problem over the last few years)
-Shoehorned love stories that try way too hard
-Action that doesn't really mean much in the scope of things, too much "the whole world is at stake"
-Villains that are neither interesting nor relatable

Spiderman: Homecoming avoids all four of these criticisms. I actually laughed at the majority of jokes. Never once did it feel to me like the writers were trying too hard. The love story came off as pretty natural, and wasn't a huge contrived plot element. The action and story in general felt way more meaningful and relatable because it occurred on a much smaller scale than most of the Avengers movies. Finally, Michael Keaton's villain actually had a nice backstory built up and was an interesting character in his own right. Marvel has been notoriously awful at creating compelling villains outside of Loki, but they nailed it here.

Plus, Tom Holland is perfect as Peter/Spiderman. Great performance. And RDJ's appearances as Tony Stark were great in this one as well.

Highly recommend this one, not often these days I get out of a superhero movie and think "that was great."

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Spiderman: Homecoming is a reminder of what Marvel should be

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 16, '17, 1:42 pm

Yeah, I saw it on release day, and loved the movie. Obviously knew I liked Holland's Spidey from Civil War but having seen his solo outing it's nice to have a Spiderman that I can get behind again (I've mentioned before but I was far from fond of Garfield). The Vulture was a fun villain and the twist of him being Liz's Dad led to a good bit of tension. Biggest laugh I had with the movie was Donald Glover's character remarking that he had bought Ice Cream when Spidey left him all webbed up in the car park (with the Cap post credits being begrudgingly funny as well). Really liked the movie.

If I could highlight something that I wasn't too fond of, I feel like there was too much focus on all the wacky features that Stark's Spidey suit offered, those jokes ate up more of the movie than I would have liked. I hope the next time we see a solo Spiderman movie it feels more standalone than this one did. I'm not super bummed about seeing a bit more Iron Man here and there but he was a bit too central to this one, though I guess they kind of had to rush that one through considering the next time we're gonna see either of them is Infinity War.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby Hanley! » Jul 16, '17, 5:57 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:Obviously knew I liked Holland's Spidey from Civil War

This is part of what's putting me off from watching this film. I'm not a fan of the MCU films in general, but Civil War was the rare MCU effort that was actually garbage. That's not the fault of Holland, but he was part of the shitty airport scene from one of the worst Marvel films so there's a negative association there for me.

The other reason I didn't want to see this one is that I think the association with the Avengers would likely be to the detriment of the film and the character. I don't need to see Tony Stark in a Spiderman film. He'd overexposed. And the idea of a young Spiderman with a rich benefactor flies in the face of what that character has always represented - a neighbourhood superhero that came from nothing and needed to do everything on his own.

That being said, I like the idea of Spiderman vs Birdman. And Tim has me kinda sold on this one. So maybe I'll watch it at some point.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Jul 16, '17, 7:01 pm

Hanley! wrote:I'm not a fan of the MCU films in general, but Civil War was the rare MCU effort that was actually garbage. That's not the fault of Holland, but he was part of the shitty airport scene from one of the worst Marvel films so there's a negative association there for me.

I... I don't even know where to begin with this. :lol

Anyway, this movie looks pretty good from what I've seen. Seems that the MCU continues to maintain its level of quality (saw Doctor Strange, thought it was good, haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yet though the consensus is that it wasn't quite as good as the first movie and I wasn't as high on the first as most people were).

I'm kinda split on Tony Stark's involvement. One one hand, I always wanted to see an adult, veteran Spider-Man join the Avengers and the prospect of seeing a novice Spider-man come into his own and learn responsibility for the third time since 2002 doesn't excite me that much. I think the whole "I want to impress Mr. Stark" thing is a bit too much. On the other hand, Tom Holland has been really good and it seems like they've pulled off this reboot as well as they could have. Stark/Ironman is always great so I don't mind seeing more of him. There's really no kid/teenager in the Avengers so I'm sure Spider-Man is pulling in that high school demographic that they're going for.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Return to Movies and TV