It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 8:42 am

Game of Thrones time get hyped

Talk about movies and television in here!

Re: Game of Thrones time get hyped

Postby Viazon » Aug 08, '17, 12:25 pm

Having more time to think about it, I don't think she is turning into a villain. She is just doing what needs to be done. Sure, she considered attacking King's Landing but decided against it. Instead she attacked the army. Which is fair game. They are at war after all. You can understand her frustration and wanting to attack King's Landing. She had just lost a lot of her army and was desperate. She is human after all.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby Everlong » Aug 14, '17, 10:36 am

Boy, last night's episode felt awfully disjointed. And they sure have completely abandoned travel time rules!

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby prophet » Aug 14, '17, 3:29 pm

Everlong wrote:Boy, last night's episode felt awfully disjointed. And they sure have completely abandoned travel time rules!

Ya but the magnificent 7 going off beyond the wall was coooooooooooooooool.

I'm on board with this season now I'm already on the ride so dammit I plan to enjoy it

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hanley! » Aug 14, '17, 5:29 pm

prophet wrote:Ya but the magnificent 7 going off beyond the wall was coooooooooooooooool.

It was cool seeing this improbable D&D party come together for their quest, but it was also contrived and kinda hokey. I'm still enjoying this season of Game of Thrones, but it's not the same show anymore. I'm almost happy to accept the hokey, sillier aspects of it now because the writing has very much gone in that direction.

They're not trying to write an interesting show anymore - everything is done with the primary intention of creating something that looks cool. The writing has become very shallow. Jaime sunk into the depths of the water only because the shot looked great. After showing us that, it made no sense that the next thing we see is Jaime being hauled out of the water coughing and spluttering, completely unsurrounded by all of the armies and dragons that were just there a minute ago. Jon came face to face with a dragon because it was a neat visual and made his character appear brave, but the scene came out of nowhere and could only really have happened if Dany was deliberately putting Jon's life in danger.

The dragons themselves are a great example of how shallow the show has become. They were completely out of control until recently, and this set up an interesting conflict for Dany's character (for once). And then that story was just dropped. For no reason at all, they now follow her every wish. If she wants a couple of dudes killed out of an army of a thousand, Drogon will instinctively know exactly which dudes she wants killed.

Shooting this stuff might make the characters seem more "bad ass" but it also makes the show more average.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 16, '17, 11:59 am

Episode 6 got leaked by HBO Spain I think? Anyway spoilers:

Spoiler:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Messiah » Aug 16, '17, 9:19 pm

I'm still enjoying the show a lot, but it seems really rushed. I don't know why they put such limitations on themselves with the amount of episodes. 10 would have given them more time to stretch out some things and make more sense of it.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Everlong » Aug 17, '17, 1:25 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:Episode 6 got leaked by HBO Spain I think? Anyway spoilers:

Spoiler:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I just watched it too. Holy fucking shit.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Everlong » Aug 17, '17, 1:32 pm

To elaborate... there was some super lame stuff in the newest ep, but also some super awesome stuff.

I'll speak in more detail once it's actually aired :lol

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 17, '17, 1:36 pm

Everlong wrote:To elaborate... there was some super lame stuff in the newest ep, but also some super awesome stuff.

It's Rule of Cool all the way at this point. Shit's becoming way too convenient and making way less sense than ever but the hype is undeniable in spite of that.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Everlong » Aug 17, '17, 1:39 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:
Everlong wrote:To elaborate... there was some super lame stuff in the newest ep, but also some super awesome stuff.

It's Rule of Cool all the way at this point. Shit's becoming way too convenient and making way less sense than ever but the hype is undeniable in spite of that.

Yeah, absolutely. At least they're embracing the ridiculousness.

The
Spoiler:
arya and sansa shit is so ridiculous, though. Worst plotline of the series perhaps.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby EmperorWu » Aug 17, '17, 9:32 pm

I've hated the writing of the show for many seasons now. However I still try to enjoy it and not be an asshole who picks everything part. I try to enjoy it for what it is, but it's hard. :lol So much of it is awful if you stop and think about it for 5 seconds.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 28, '17, 11:08 am

Wasn't expecting to see Blue Eyes until next season at the earliest, but god damn. All that talk about a magic horn or Bran getting that handprint off the NK, all it took to bring the wall down was for Viserion to fucking melt the thing.

Weird that they went with Aegon for Jon's real name. Maybe that's why they cut that other Aegon out of the show? Probably not, might have just renamed him fuckin Jaehaerys or some other Targaryen name if they wanted to include him. Most likely didn't want another handful of battles that they would have to montage right about now.

Nice to see that Sansa isn't as daft as it seemed, looked like she was actually getting suckered again which would have been a real bloody pain. Littlefinger went out like a total punk, that scene was fun. Nice to see Bran owning his role as weirdo tree god, they got some comedy out of it during the Sam scene.

Cersei's every bit the daft cunt we all thought. Wouldn't have felt right if she had just been reasonable. Kind of a soft touch though, not killing Tyrion I guess you can call strategy considering her plan to juke Dany, I had actually believed that Jaime was a goner for a moment there. He's finally getting the fuck out of that mess, couldn't be happier for the chap.

We got a Cleganebowl tease which is always nice. Only one more year to wait it seems. Would be mental not to do it at this point, they've embraced the hype fully by now, and what is hype may never die. Theon might not have any real balls but he's grown back some mental balls, at least. I laughed way too hard at his face when that guy couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Hanley! » Aug 28, '17, 3:39 pm

This show is bad now.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby prophet » Aug 28, '17, 5:42 pm

Yeah I'd say this season was definitely the worst of the show's run. I still enjoyed parts of it when I took the cool scenes for what they were and removed logic from the situation but yeah on the whole they've rushed through everything and it's all gotten a bit shit, sadly.

A few musing thoughts:

- Having all the 'known' characters converge at the Dragonpit was hysterical, it felt like the end of a musical/panto

- How did the Ice Dragon's Ice Breathe melt the Ice Wall?

- Please don't tell me we're going to have to endure some Jon/Dany conflict next season now his lineage is out there

- Shortening this season made things 1000% times worse and I've just read that the final season is even shorter. Whyyyyy

- Where is Ghost? CGI Dragons can't possibly cost more than a CGI wolf

- Pod and Bronn are the MVP's of the season for buggering off to a brothel because even they knew it was all bollocks

- I enjoyed watching Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke get it on and now want that to happen in real life pls

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Everlong » Aug 28, '17, 9:43 pm

Hanley! wrote:This show is bad now.

Not much more to be said. What a shit season.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Messiah » Aug 29, '17, 7:35 am

"Shit" is an exaggeration. The show did too good of a job in the previous 6 seasons that even without great writing this go around, they were still able to churn out an entertaining show. I agree, it was probably the weakest season to this point, but there were still a ton of great moments.

Honestly, I just don't think you can have the methodical pace of the last 6 seasons that everyone loves AND manage to slow-pace it this season as well. It was just never going to happen. I said they should have gone to 10 episodes and it might have been better, but I'm not even sure if that is the case either. The only solution would have been more seasons. Otherwise they were always going to get to a season where they had no choice but to speed things up. Even with another season, how much longer could they have really waited to bring the White Walkers and the Night King past the wall? People were already complaining about how long it took Daenerys to make it to Westeros. And once you get to the point where the Night King and co. makes it, you have no choice but to speed everything else up.

I'm not trying to absolve them from blame for some of their writing, which has admittedly been at times nonsensical. But it is still a solid show. It just isn't at an all-time great level like it used to be, but I am still so invested in so many of the characters that I love it still and definitely am looking forward to the next season.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Viazon » Aug 29, '17, 9:20 am

prophet wrote:- How did the Ice Dragon's Ice Breathe melt the Ice Wall?

Because it was fire breath.

I still think it's a good show. This may have been the weakest season so far but wouldn't go as far to call it shit. I agree that it does seem that they have rushed this season and logic seems to have been thrown out the window. But there were a lot of awesome moments this season that I enjoyed. The characters seemingly being able to transport from place to place within one episode doesn't bother me so much. I mean, you know they are traveling. You don't need to see it. I do agree the amount of luck the characters have had got a bit silly at times. It was convenient that Dany showed up with her dragons beyond the wall just in time. And how the hell did Benjen find Jon in the middle of nowhere? Just in time to save his life no less. But whatever. I still thought it was cool when her dragons annihilated all of the wights and when Benjen came running up on his horse. I know some people like every thing to be exactly perfect in films and TV shows, but I think you enjoy things more when you don't expect things to be that way. You gotta expect things will be a little unbelievable when watching works of fiction. I don't see how anyone can watch this season and call it shit. Of course, people are entitled to their opinions, but I think this season was still very enjoyable.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 29, '17, 11:02 am

Viazon wrote:And how the hell did Benjen find Jon in the middle of nowhere?

Of all the bullshit they've pulled this season, this wasn't even part of it. If anything it's bloody obvious. He has ears, and eyes. There were just three giant fucking dragons flying around and screaming and breathing fire. Tends to draw a bit of attention.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the point that it's still enjoyable by the way, I still enjoy it. That doesn't change the fact that the show has become a shell of what it used to be back when there was source material.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Previous

Return to Movies and TV