It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 10:31 am

2017 Academy Award Nominations

Talk about movies and television in here!

2017 Academy Award Nominations

Postby Everlong » Jan 24, '17, 9:28 am

Here's a full list of this year's noms: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/2017- ... 201968107/

La La Land is the big nominee this year with 14(!), which ties Titanic. This is the first year I can remember in which I haven't seen ANY of the best picture nominees. I'll probably have seen them all by the awards show, but still, I feel so out of the loop this year.

Any favorites? Predictions? Hopes?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: 2017 Academy Award Nominations

Postby DBSoT » Jan 24, '17, 10:19 am

Is La La Land really that good or is this the committee going crazy over an artsy musical? They went crazy for Birdman as well because it was one continuous shot, but that movie was vastly overrated. For a movie to get that many nominations, they would have to excel in so many different areas.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 218

Postby Everlong » Jan 24, '17, 12:01 pm

DBSoT wrote:Is La La Land really that good or is this the committee going crazy over an artsy musical? They went crazy for Birdman as well because it was one continuous shot, but that movie was vastly overrated. For a movie to get that many nominations, they would have to excel in so many different areas.

I thought Birdman was outstanding, personally.

I have not seen La La Land yet, but as a fan of musicals I look forward to watching it.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby Kirbi » Jan 24, '17, 3:46 pm

I'd go with Birdman being fantastic, and La La Land being... perfectly serviceable. I liked it well enough, but I don't get the big deal (probably the hollywood-appreciation factor, and the interesting parts of L.A. on display help it there).

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby Hanley! » Jan 24, '17, 4:05 pm

I watched most of the movies that were being nominated for awards over the last couple of years, but this year I'm not interested in as many of them. A lot of them look kinda dull or depressing or samey. There were plenty of exciting movies released this year (though I wouldn't say it was a particularly strong year) but for the most part those aren't the films that the award ceremonies seem to be celebrating.

I have seen a few of the films nominated and I'm not sure all of them are what they're cracked up to be. Arrival left me a little underwhelmed if I'm honest. The central premise was interesting, but I thought it was let down by a weak script. La La Land was fun, but not quite worthy of the hype it's been receiving.

Hell or High Water was a great film though, and I'm glad to see it nominated for Best Picture even though I know it doesn't have a shot in hell of winning. If anyone is trying to catch up on some of the Oscar movies, I'd advise you to start here. Viggo Mortensen was well worth his nomination for Best Actor for his role in Captain Fantastic too. I thought that film would have been worthy of a Best Picture nod also.

I know I say this every year, but this year above all others, I think they could have considered nominating an animated film for Best Picture, because there were a few great options. This is probably Moana's year to win Best Animated Feature, but as much as I liked that film I really don't think it should. Both Kubo and Zootopia were superior films.

For anyone who likes their films weird and have a twisted sense of humour, maybe consider checking out The Lobster, which has been nominated for Best Original Screenplay. The film is so strange that it's kind of difficult to recommend it to people, but those who like it tend to love it.

DBSoT wrote:Is La La Land really that good or is this the committee going crazy over an artsy musical? They went crazy for Birdman as well because it was one continuous shot, but that movie was vastly overrated. For a movie to get that many nominations, they would have to excel in so many different areas.

Yeah, I can't agree with your views on Birdman. I fucking loved that movie. Really different, really interesting, full of top notch performances and also just goddamn hilarious. But I do have kinda a dark sense of humour, which helps.

La La Land isn't all that though. It's a very enjoyable, well made movie by one of Hollywood's new star directors. But yeah, it is overrated. A big part of that is that it's such a love letter to Hollywood that it plays well to the Academy and to L.A. based movie critics. If that wasn't such a huge focus of the film, I don't think it would be winning many best film of the year awards. It's a good excuse for a trip to the cinema, but not much more.

Tim, as a fan of musicals, you should prepare yourself to not be blown away by any of the songs. They're not memorable at all. They're not bad, but they're just not blow away. Every Disney animated feature has five songs better than any from La La Land. This movie sells itself more on the choreography and the chemistry between the leads. You're not going to be humming any of the songs on the way home from the theatre. Even the most positive reviews of the film have been pretty consistent in saying that.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Jan 24, '17, 8:59 pm

Everlong wrote:

I thought Birdman was outstanding, personally.

Saw Birdman for the first time a week ago. Can confirm. :tim

The only one of the nominees I've seen is Hell of High Water. It was pretty good, though not to the point where it's one of the top films I've seen in the past year. Arrival looks the most interesting out of this list and the one I'm most looking forward to seeing.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby KaiserGlider » Feb 27, '17, 12:23 am

They just Steve Harvey'd the Oscars!

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Feb 27, '17, 12:51 pm

A shame the way Moonlight was announced is dominating the headlines than the actual celebration of the film but it's natural as it was such a major event. A picture circulating of the front row of the arena in shock will go down as one of the pictures of the year.

Anyhow I thought it was that lady's fault than Beatty's, she kinda pushed him to announce it rather than allowing him time to just say 'we need a moment here's and might have avoided the incident.

Kimmel's monologue was good, not overly dominating about the current President as the fact one of the winners wasn't there due to the Muslim ban was symbolic of the whole ban anyway.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Return to Movies and TV