It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 7:53 pm

Rogue one

Talk about movies and television in here!

Rogue one

Postby Everlong » Dec 16, '16, 6:03 pm

I'm on my phone now so I'll save a full review for later, but anyone else seen this yet?

I thought it was decent but nothing special. Didn't leave the theater thirsting for more like I did with episode 7, and they didn't create any truly memorable characters or moments like episode 7 did. However, it did a great job at showing what was at stake for the rebelliom, and highlighting the brutality of the time.

I would probably give it a 7 out of 10.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Rogue one

Postby Everlong » Dec 18, '16, 12:18 pm

Has no one else really seen this yet? Would be interested in hearing people's thoughts.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Dec 18, '16, 12:44 pm

Haven't seen it. I've never been interested to be honest. I don't doubt it's probably at least a decent watch, but this does kinda feel like the Star Wars film that's pushing the limit in terms of over-saturation.

This one falls into a strange territory too because it's selling itself as a prequel - which I typically don't like - but it doesn't involve many of the same characters from the original. People will go and see it because it's a Star Wars film, but outside of that I don't feel like the trailers gave me much to be excited about other than the possibility of a few cursory glimpses of Darth Vader and guys like that. And I'm worried that it'll do the standard prequel thing of including a bunch of references to the originals that add nothing to the film but to give the fans an opportunity to pat themselves on the back for recognising the reference. That stuff always feels cheap and pandering to me.

Rogue One is exactly the kind of film I might tag along with my mates to see over the holidays if someone makes the suggestion but I don't think I'd go to see it myself. Not because I'm certain I wouldn't like it, but just because there's not really anything drawing me to it.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Dec 18, '16, 4:53 pm

Yeah the couple small appearances by Vader were definitely the most exciting parts.

Unlike the characters introduced in The Force Awakens, these characters were dull, flat and unmemorable. So that really put a damper on it.

The director did do an excellent job of highlighting the sense of desperation among the people in the rebellion, and blurred the lines a little bit by showing the Rebellion as using questionable ethics in its tactics of fighting the empire. The final 20 minutes or so of the movie was really exciting.

But without a single interesting character, with a few too many cliches and with a couple moments that tried too hard to give nostalgia boosts, the movie was never going to be anything special.

I still think there's a whole lot of potential with Star Wars movies outside of the main episodic series, but they really need to look into a different time period.

There are so many opportunities to tell awesome stories of the Jedi during their heyday, for example.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 19, '16, 4:39 am

Not that I'm a Star Wars fan but as a fan of Riz Ahmed's work, how did he perform as Bodhi Rook?

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Return to Movies and TV