It is currently: May 22, '24, 10:12 pm

The Simpsons Guy

Talk about movies and television in here!

The Simpsons Guy

Postby Westcoastvibes » Sep 28, '14, 10:18 pm

Now that it has aired let's hear your thoughts...

I thought it was brilliant, not as edgy as family guy normally is but edgier than Simpsons norm. Clearly Seth had to tone it down a bit to use the Simpsons but I think he did it in a well played way. Using the duff vs Pawtucket beer case to poke at the years of claims that family guy is just a rip off of the Simpsons was great, having the characters in similarity sitting next to each other was a nice addition.

I could have done without the whole stewie/Nelson bit though. It was one of those things that needed to be longer to work out and because the bit was so short it was out of place.

Nice appearances by Cleaveland and Bob, a bit disappointed that there was no hank hill or Stan Smith involved, or even a teaser for future crossovers. All in all a solid show from Seth that did not shit all over the Simpsons legacy.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 98

Re: The Simpsons Guy

Postby War Daddy » Sep 29, '14, 2:14 am

I've heard mixed reviews as I have not watched it yet. I heard it took a long time to set up the crossover, to the point that some people would've preferred an half hour show instead. Heard they missed out on a Brian/Simpsons dog opportunity.

I still have to watch it first tho.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 122

Postby Westcoastvibes » Sep 29, '14, 5:20 am

Alpha Beast wrote:I've heard mixed reviews as I have not watched it yet. I heard it took a long time to set up the crossover, to the point that some people would've preferred an half hour show instead. Heard they missed out on a Brian/Simpsons dog opportunity.

I still have to watch it first tho.

It did not take long at all to set it up, like 5 min at most, it's not like they could have started the show with the griffins magically in spingfield and the short setup flowed pretty well. As for brian/Santa's little helper opportunity, they interacted about as well as they could for one being a intellectual talking dog who drives a prius and the other being a standard domestic dog who eats cat shit and barks at random objects for no reason.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 98

Postby Messiah » Sep 29, '14, 5:50 am

It started off slow, then got a lot better, then fell flat for me.

I'm a big fan of Family Guy, at least moreso than others, but some of the jokes early on were just bad and the sarcasm by Peter just wasn't effective at all. I loved the interaction Brian had with the dog, though. Brian and Stewie are routinely the best characters on the show so it wasn't a surprise their scenes were enjoyable. But I do agree with what others were saying, a lot of stuff felt cramped, mainly because they had to allow every character to interact with their counterpart which is understandable. I wish it was possible for them to expand it beyond one episode, y'know with one episode based on Peter/Homer, one on Marge/Lois, Dog/Stewie, Lisa/Meg, and Bart/Stewie (I guess you could throw Chris with Krusty or something, that would be fun).

As it is, not a bad episode and I think a lot of faults I found, they couldn't really help due to the restrictions. But far from being among Family Guy's best.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Everlong » Sep 29, '14, 7:22 am

It was basically everything I expected it would be: a fairly mediocre episode with a lot of funny parts. There were definitely moments where I laughed out loud and thought they did some pretty clever gags, but the story of the episode wasn't very good and at times the whole thing came off really forced.

Still not sure I liked the idea of them doing a crossover, but there were still at least enough fun parts that came out of it.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby DBSoT » Sep 29, '14, 9:45 am

It did exactly what I expected. It had some clever gags and used the contrast of the shows well, but in typical Family Guy fashion, it failed to tell a story at all. I thought the Pawtucket Patriot/Duff stuff seemed forced and unnecessary since South Park did the same gag years ago.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby PorkChop » Sep 29, '14, 12:46 pm

So after months of speculation about
Spoiler:
which character would get killed off, it ends up being Krusty's dad? lol, fuck off. We were told it was going to be a big character!

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Return to Movies and TV