It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 2:48 pm

Gennady Golovkin v Kell Brook

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Gennady Golovkin v Kell Brook

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 06, '16, 4:18 am

So this big fight is this Saturday amongst a host of other massive sporting events that day so that's my weekend sorted.

People always say - and rightly so - that Brook deserves credit for going up two weights to face Golovkin but as an IBF welterweight champion, he shouldn't be. This is again, Fast Car Eddie Hearn potentially ruining a marketable aspect of Brook's by having him lose his undefeated record just because he can't arrange a viable fight for his fighter. Even the pictures of Brook now compared to his natural weight is a startling reminder of what he's putting himself through. He looks more chubby, his six pack has gone and he doesn't have massive hand speed but he'll feel the effects of it on fight night when GGG is pummelling him.

Amir Khan was exactly the same - was decent on the night vs Alvarez but not as lightening quick with his hands and probably the jump in weight played a part in that brief lapse of concentration in the sixth when his opponent KO'd him.

Golovkin to win in 6 rounds.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: Gennady Golovkin v Kell Brook

Postby PorkChop » Sep 06, '16, 7:35 am

GGG will win on points. I expect Brook to win a few rounds but the later it goes on the more I can see it swinging in Golovkin's favour.

I won't order it, but I'll probably catch it one way or another.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Re: Gennady Golovkin v Kell Brook

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 10, '16, 5:12 pm

Brook packed into five rounds all the energy and ferociousness he would normally pack in 12 at welterweight - gave such a brilliant show against Golovkin. A side note, but put into perspective Amir Khan's display against Canelo as fairly timid when you compare how forceful Brook was. After that first round, he was happy to give some back and I don't think GGG was massively hurt besides seriously troubled. On the one hand, you feel whether Brook's plan was to take him out early and put 100% into that plan whilst GGG was happy to let it continue as he knew he would eventually get him with the jump up in weight his opponent had to endure.

Ingle made a brave call and idiotic fans boo him don't understand that it could have been much worse than the damaged eye Brook has and he will come back - after a lay-off - to fight at welterweight. He did well tonight but he should stick it at welterweight. He's changed my opinion of him to the point I lean more towards him if he ever faced Khan with his resilience and power but he can take control of the welterweight division now if he wants to.

Final note, still can't comprehend Hearn pushing Brook into this fight when he should have got him a big fight at welterweight rather than now lose his undefeated recod which is useful to have from a marketing perspective but the pride from a fighter's POV in having that.

GGG won't face Canelo which again is a to and froing situation similiar to Manny-Floyd. Canelo was giving it large after the Khan fight yet that was a clear moment to face GGG but he side-stepped it.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Return to General Sports Discussion