It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 12:07 am

CM Punk debut on Saturday v Micky Gall

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

CM Punk debut on Saturday v Micky Gall

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 05, '16, 2:15 pm

I've never watched a UFC show but I'm tempted to stay up to see Punk's debut. I might have a nap before getting up later more than likely but what time is he likely to be fighting on Saturday?

On paper and from what people say in relation to his sparring, he shouldn't win but Punk has this inner-resilience and fighting spirit that makes me think his unorthodox style might cause an upset.

The Evolution of Punk series has been a good watch, I have to say. Really fleshed out his personality privately and for all his sincerity in wanting to do well, I'm rooting for him!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: CM Punk debut on Saturday v Micky Gall

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 05, '16, 2:56 pm

Isn't this one of the most anticipated fights on the show? I think it'll likely be later on in the PPV closer to the end.

I just want to know what happens when/if Punk loses, especially if he loses badly. Does he have a second fight? Does he retire from MMA having given it a shot? I imagine he probably has a second fight if he wants it.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Sep 05, '16, 3:09 pm

I imagine UFC would give him one more chance, even if he loses the first fight. But he'd be unlikely to draw nearly the same revenue or attention for a second fight if he loses the first time around. Plus, he might always cut his losses if he gets beaten too badly by Gall.

If he does manage to beat Gall, the next fight might do even better, and I'm sure Punk would be game. But lets not get our hopes up about any of that happening.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Messiah » Sep 05, '16, 4:01 pm

Hanley! wrote:I imagine UFC would give him one more chance, even if he loses the first fight.

Eh, I can't see it happening. People are already skeptical enough and are likely only watching for the mystique of it all. If he loses to someone like Gall, nobody is going to want to watch him fight again, especially considering his age and injury history.

I like Punk and I'm sure he's happy that he is getting this kind of opportunity, but I hope he calls it quits if he loses. I don't want him to make his body break down even faster than it already is.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 05, '16, 4:12 pm

Well if he's done with MMA, it begs the question? What's next for CM Punk? The obvious bigger question is does he choose to return to wrestling?

I highly doubt he'd come back to WWE, at least not anytime soon. Does he have the desire to work an indy run and try to make some quick cash there? does he try his luck in Japan where I'm sure he could get in if he wanted?

Or does he just sit and write comic books with his gorgeous wife?

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby PorkChop » Sep 05, '16, 4:14 pm

Mickey Gall doesn't belong in the UFC either but at least he had a couple of competitive wins, and looked good against Mike Jackson albeit who was 0-0.

From what I've seen in his training videos Punk looks very amateur and slow. Apparently he's had a tough weight cut as well which can be a huge factor in the fight itself.

Bet the house on Gall.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 06, '16, 4:12 am

If it's a close run thing, which I doubt, then the UFC and Punk will carry on. A heavy and embarrassing defeat might make him consider other MMA avenues, a place elsewhere (if there is one) where the promotion is less visual and he can hone his technique and experience before possibly, returning to the UFC.

Punk seems to have that personality where he might persist even though everyone says he should quit just to spite people who think negatively of him. But yes, I'd definitely sit on my couch writing comics and a beautiful wife to keep me company if I had the chance instead of enduring a tough training camp to only be brutally beaten.

Is a massive card, any idea what position his fight will be? @PorkChop

Last edited by AkydefGoldberg on Sep 06, '16, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Postby Daz » Sep 06, '16, 5:01 am

I'm a little bit annoyed because I'll have to miss this because of family holiday bullshit. I really want to see Punk get his head kicked in.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby PorkChop » Sep 06, '16, 7:31 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Is a massive card, any idea what position his fight will be? @PorkChop

Punk brings in the wrestling crowd so they'll have him near the top of the card, one or two fights before the main event.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Return to General Sports Discussion