It is currently: May 04, '24, 5:37 pm

Kaepernick anthem protest: Police threaten boycott

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

Kaepernick anthem protest: Police threaten boycott

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 03, '16, 8:58 am

What are the thoughts on Colin's stance? Police threatening not to cover games for his club is the latest development.

I do admire him standing up (no pun) for his beliefs and principles but it has come abit out of the blue. I think he'd have had more sympathy if it had been in the aftermath of some of the prominent murders of black people by law enforcement but as the situation has quietened down slowly, but maybe he wasn't confident to speak out then until now but intrigued by opinions and views on this.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: Kaepernick anthem protest: Police threaten boycott

Postby Messiah » Sep 03, '16, 9:16 am

Anyone else find it funny, and downright pathetic, that the police are threatening to (basically) not protect citizens that attend to game just because someone won't stand up for the national anthem?

That pisses me off to no end. Who the hell cares who respects you? That shouldn't matter. Its your duty to protect. That is what you agreed to do. If they seriously don't cover the 49ers game, then they deserve no respect and I hope they all lose their job. I usually don't get pissed off or bothered by stuff that happens in the news, but this really stuck out to me. Fuck those cops for threatening to do this.

Its stuff like this why people, right or wrong, dislike cops. This is NOT an appropriate response. Do your damn job instead of letting one person dictate whether or not you protect others.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 470

Postby Circled Square » Sep 03, '16, 7:37 pm

Colin should have the right to say whatever he wants politically. It sucks that he's just regurgitating popcorn political talking points and acting like he can speak for someone like me when he's like half cac and was raised by white people. :rotf2

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby War Daddy » Sep 03, '16, 11:15 pm

Sorry, bur you can't pick and choose who you protect when you're a cop.

I mean, they been doing it for years but you can't do it.

Fuck it, they gon do it.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby DBSoT » Sep 05, '16, 10:04 am

I am completely indifferent to the whole thing. I really don't care if someone sits during the national anthem. It's a song made 100s of years ago that is only remotely relevant to today's culture. With that said, Kaepernick's protest is lazy. Sitting down during the national anthem and wearing Cop Pig socks is more attention seeking than actually making a difference. Does he really think that people are going to become more aware because he sat down for 3 minutes. Also, he isn't exactly the best representative of the cause. He grew up in an upper class white family and went on to make millions in the NFL. I am not saying he can't call out injustice, but he isn't as likely to be taken seriously by the ideological opposition.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Everlong » Sep 05, '16, 11:10 am

Posting here to remind myself to rant when I get back to a keyboard.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Sep 05, '16, 12:39 pm

I'm kinda worried that I wouldn't be able to adequately explain how stupid I think this is without offending some people. Which is the only reason I haven't replied.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 05, '16, 12:45 pm

What I don't get is why people who come out and support Caepernick's decision are still standing during the anthem themselves? If you support what he's doing, then why aren't you sitting your ass down too?

I'll be honest, at the risk of getting pounded for saying it, I'm not 100% behind him on this either, although obviously I'm a Canadian so it's a little different. My mind says, it's the "land of the free" and he absolutely has the right to do whatever he pleases in this situation, yet something about sitting during the anthem still feels wrong to me in my heart. I mean as much of a point as he may have, the US still seems like a pretty damn good place to live to me, especially compared to a lot of other places in the World, there are lots of people who would die just trying to get a chance to live there.

I also question just how much of an actual effect him sitting has. Sure it brings up the conversation, but is it really doing it in a positive way? All it's done is create a shitstorm about disrespecting the anthem and the troops and his point about police and African American treatment almost has gotten lost in the shuffle in the din of all the shouting and name calling.

A man with as high of a profile as an NFL QB, making millions and with plenty of free time in the offseason, I can't help but think Kaepernick has the means to make a bigger difference in the lives of young Black people and relations between Black and White and the police. Instead he's put a target on himself that might actually hinder any chance he has to do that now.

Just my two cents, might be worth less than that. :P

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby War Daddy » Sep 05, '16, 1:26 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:What I don't get is why people who come out and support Caepernick's decision are still standing during the anthem themselves? If you support what he's doing, then why aren't you sitting your ass down too?

I'll be honest, at the risk of getting pounded for saying it, I'm not 100% behind him on this either, although obviously I'm a Canadian so it's a little different. My mind says, it's the "land of the free" and he absolutely has the right to do whatever he pleases in this situation, yet something about sitting during the anthem still feels wrong to me in my heart. I mean as much of a point as he may have, the US still seems like a pretty damn good place to live to me, especially compared to a lot of other places in the World, there are lots of people who would die just trying to get a chance to live there.

I also question just how much of an actual effect him sitting has. Sure it brings up the conversation, but is it really doing it in a positive way? All it's done is create a shitstorm about disrespecting the anthem and the troops and his point about police and African American treatment almost has gotten lost in the shuffle in the din of all the shouting and name calling.

A man with as high of a profile as an NFL QB, making millions and with plenty of free time in the offseason, I can't help but think Kaepernick has the means to make a bigger difference in the lives of young Black people and relations between Black and White and the police. Instead he's put a target on himself that might actually hinder any chance he has to do that now.

Just my two cents, might be worth less than that. :P

*pummels you into the ground for having an opinion*

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Everlong » Sep 05, '16, 7:39 pm

Ok now that I'm at a computer I have a few things about this to say:

1) The fact that people actually care enough about this to get pissed off about a shitty QB's decision to shit or stand during the anthem is mind boggling to me.

Like, this has been the dominant story in the NFL for more than a week now. It's been all over not just ESPN and Sports Illustrated, but national news stations. Every pundit across the spectrum is providing their hot take on this story. And I just can't for the life of me figure out why the fuck it's a big deal at all.

People are going nuts criticizing this guy, calling him un-American, ungrateful, ignorant, stupid, whatever adjective you want to use. People are suggesting he's becoming a Muslim/ISIS sympathizer, and telling him "if he doesn't like 'Murica he can just giiiit out." Which is so, so fucking stupid.

What's mind boggling to me about all of this is that the people who are getting the most upset about this are the exact same people who talk about how we're living in a society that is "too easily offended/outraged," and are the same people who are fed up with political correctness. Exactly what could be more politically correct than standing up for some nationalistic ritual that to be completely honest hardly means anything, simply because right wing hardcore PATRIOTS will tear you apart if you don't?

2) The fact that a police union would turn this into an "US VS THEM" situation and try to get some press out of it is completely disgusting and abhorrent. Just do your job. How the fuck could this possibly matter that much to you? And why wouldn't they refuse to work games where there are people who have committed far worse acts? Just... ugh.

I've never really understood nationalism to begin with. like, I like living in the United States. I feel like I've got it pretty good here. But the whole "MURICA IS THE BEST AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GIIIIIT OUT" attitude that emanates during stories like this is both toxic and ignorant and it's absolutely mind boggling to me how something as benign as sitting during the anthem can become a national headline because of it.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Return to General Sports Discussion