It is currently: May 05, '24, 1:45 am

UFC sold for $4 billion

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

UFC sold for $4 billion

Postby PorkChop » Jul 11, '16, 3:20 pm

An unprecedented sale in the sports world - no sports organisation has ever been sold for such a price.

Interesting to see where they go from here, without the Fertitta brothers. Dana White will remain as president but the new owners might take a different stance on some things. I'd like to see fighter healthcare taken more seriously and an increase in fighter pay.

The sport has grown a lot in the last 10 years and I hope the next 10 years are equally as eventful.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: UFC sold for $4 billion

Postby Kreashko » Jul 11, '16, 5:36 pm

And to think they paid only 2 million for it. Talk about investment. :o

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 12, '16, 2:48 pm

Was a shock to see this piece of news and it seems one of the buyers is WME, which is a promotional company linked to The Rock but amazing business. Right move to keep Dana White involved as he is the figurehead of the company but it seems the new owners will focus more on the outside the Octagon sort of things but leave the match-making to Dana? I can't imagine they'll want to get tied down with that and let Dana get on with it as usual. Surprised it hasn't made bigger news in the UK (couldn't find it on the BBC website and doubt SSN will do anything on it)

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 13, '16, 2:39 pm

Good piece on the disparity of pay between UFC's now previous owners Dana White and the Ferttita brothers and the actual fighters. Reminds me of boxing which in the past, especially Don King, lined their own pockets handsomely more than their fighters.

Out of interest, what has happened to Pride MMA? That seemed another name I heard about until the last 3-4 years or so when I've become more familiar with UFC.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Jul 13, '16, 2:54 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Out of interest, what has happened to Pride MMA? That seemed another name I heard about until the last 3-4 years or so when I've become more familiar with UFC.

Pride was (unfortunately) bought out by the UFC, who acquired a whole bunch of their fighters. It was such an awesome promotion - they used a ring rather than a cage and didn't drug test, so fighters had ridiculous physiques and crazy fights.

It was basically the WWE of the MMA world. It was fantastic.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 14, '16, 2:11 pm

Saw a tweet suggesting Dana White will endorse Trump at the Republican National Convention..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Jul 14, '16, 3:15 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Saw a tweet suggesting Dana White will endorse Trump at the Republican National Convention..

Not surprising, to be honest. Dana White is an idiot.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Return to General Sports Discussion