It is currently: May 09, '24, 9:28 am

CM Punk's UFC opponent announced

Talk about any sports in here that do not fit our other forum categories.

Moderator: PorkChop

CM Punk's UFC opponent announced

Postby PorkChop » Feb 06, '16, 7:02 pm

Mickey Gall, who won tonight to establish himself as CM Punk's opponent. No indication as to when the fight happens though.

Gfycat Video - Click to Play

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: CM Punk's UFC opponent announced

Postby Hanley! » Feb 07, '16, 9:50 am

Meh.

It's so hard to be interested in the CM Punk stuff these days. They announced his signing so early, and it's taken him so long to actually step in the cage. And he was never going to be fighting anyone who was anyone anyway. This piece of news doesn't really mean much.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Feb 07, '16, 10:42 am

Punk's 37 years old, if he fights two fights per year and actually does reasonably well, not undefeated, but wins more than he loses - how long will it take Punk to get to the point where he fights somebody worth a damn?

I mean he's fighting a guy whose justification for fighting Punk is that he beat a former MMA reporter!

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 07, '16, 11:15 am

I feel like if he loses to this guy, what's even the point in fighting a second time? This guy isn't even that good. Any drawing power Punk has I would think would shrink significantly once he loses, especially if he loses badly.

I feel like he wants to try it and live his dream, once he fights, he'll probably say "thanks" and retire.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Feb 07, '16, 11:25 am

Str8Shooter wrote:I feel like if he loses to this guy, what's even the point in fighting a second time? This guy isn't even that good. Any drawing power Punk has I would think would shrink significantly once he loses, especially if he loses badly.

I feel like he wants to try it and live his dream, once he fights, he'll probably say "thanks" and retire.

You could be right. It feels like it was just on the bucket list and he wants to try it out. But it's weird to think of putting two years of your life into something and it's all leading up to a fight that will only last a few minutes at most. It's a strange situation.

I guess he'll make a pay day out of it, and it's probably something he just genuinely wanted to do. In which case more power to him. But from a publicity point of view, he really seems to have placed himself in a lose lose situation. If he can't get the win, he could become a joke. But if he does get the win it means nothing, because he's not fighting anyone important. And lets be honest, he's probably never going to fight anyone important. If he wins the fight they're not going to put him against top level opposition for his next fight. How long would it take for him to earn a fight against someone where he could actually really prove something?

I guess the one way he could prove himself is if he had some really cool competitive fights, where he gets to show a lot. But I just feel like it's going to be almost impossible for him to impress people at this point.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 07, '16, 11:55 am

Yeah, I mean I think he's taking it seriously, but he might be one of the only people taking it seriously. It's pretty much a vanity project for him for his post wrestling career. He's just a big enough name that the UFC decided to play ball with him on it.

I would think the guy would want a career or life out of the spotlight though, given his hatred of being a public figure. I just read an article the other day where he went off on some reporter asking him about his transition to MMA from wrestling.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Feb 07, '16, 4:27 pm

Like boxing, I'd have thought he'd have fought some journeyman bum rather than a guy who, himself, is a rookie as well so more likely chance of being beaten but yes, the momentum has dipped on Punk even though I hope he does well considering at the age of 37, he could have spent his life writing comics and he's putting himself through a lot to try and compete in the UFC.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Feb 08, '16, 12:04 pm

You'll all watch it though ;)

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby Hanley! » Feb 08, '16, 12:13 pm

PorkChop wrote:You'll all watch it though ;)

I don't think I will though. And I did when it was Brock Lesnar. I just find it hard to care about Punk in this context. If he had fought six months ago, I probably would have checked it out, but it feels like the story has lost all momentum by now.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Return to General Sports Discussion